[Some Verbose way of saying "I'm also a young fan"]

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Onei-03
Anime Fan Since: 2008

[Some Verbose way of saying "I'm also a young fan"]

Post by Onei-03 »

Hello. (I gotta get going to work soon here so if it feels like this is rushed, you'd be right.)

I'm yet another younger member (23) who's into older titles. I originally learned about this group either from doing my own research on the anime fandom in the 80s/90s or from Stevethefishdotnet. I don't remember either way so who knows. I tried joining in 2013 but unfortunately the rules for joining were different back then. It was only recently I found out that had changed. Like a few others, I've also had issues chatting/connecting to other anime fans around my age. Thus it was pretty boring trying to go to places on, say, Discord and try to have an actual conversation. Maybe this is just me though.

So I won't go into too much detail into how I got into anime in general but basically I noticed a definite difference when I was very young. I liked the anime style since I was in elementary school but it wouldn't be until around 2007/2008 when I'd get super into not only anime but manga as well. However, I found myself researching and watching older shows. I mean I'd watch newer stuff but it would only be, like, one title or episode before moving on to something else either due to boredom or the anime being not my taste. I'm trying to watch more anime in general now. I just got done watching 1 out of two of the New Dream Hunter Rem OVAs.

I've also been trying to do some Gunpla again since last time I built/finished one was in 2009 with some 1/144 scale RX-78.

MY MAL for anyone curious: https://myanimelist.net/profile/TheWistfulHermit

I also draw and stuff https://twitter.com/Onei03/status/973414229423292417
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: [Some Verbose way of saying "I'm also a young fan"]

Post by davemerrill »

Welcome to the forum! I love the Patlabor/W3 mashup icon!
Valand
Anime Fan Since: 2003

Post by Valand »

Hi!

It seems like the veterans will soon be in the minority! Much like you I first thought of joining several years ago, but as you say the rules were different and stopped me as well. I suppose long time fans still are in touch with people from back in the days, while the younger ones like us have a difficult time finding likeminded people in the first place and end up looking for a place like this. Luckily I have other interests as well to share with my friends, but it's nice to have a place to discuss anime and manga now.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Valand wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:40 pm Hi!

It seems like the veterans will soon be in the minority! Much like you I first thought of joining several years ago, but as you say the rules were different and stopped me as well. I suppose long time fans still are in touch with people from back in the days, while the younger ones like us have a difficult time finding likeminded people in the first place and end up looking for a place like this. Luckily I have other interests as well to share with my friends, but it's nice to have a place to discuss anime and manga now.
The minority of the vets means that the young are taking over for the old guard, or at least that's how I look at things, which i'm all for! Welcome to the site, and your avatar is cute looking, not gonna deny that.
Onei-03

Post by Onei-03 »

davemerrill wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:57 am Welcome to the forum! I love the Patlabor/W3 mashup icon!
Thanks. I got it from this artist on Pixiv. They've done other art of not only Bokko but other Tezuka anthro characters, as well: https://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=4082162

Valand wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:40 pm I suppose long time fans still are in touch with people from back in the days, while the younger ones like us have a difficult time finding likeminded people in the first place and end up looking for a place like this. Luckily I have other interests as well to share with my friends, but it's nice to have a place to discuss anime and manga now.
Yeah, same here. I have a bunch of other interest but it's nice to finally be on here. I've known a few people online who are into older stuff. I know one who watched a bunch of Go-Lion (aka sub version of Voltron) as well as Fist of the North Star. Another, who I'm in a Discord group with, is into Shotaro Ishinomori's stuff.

A few months ago I was able to let my very good friend and someone else from one discord group watch a few 80s OVAs. One was Dream Hunter Rem, the other Golden Boy (I...think?), and then Madox-01 (subbed). My friend enjoyed the latter a lot, same with me since it was also my first time actually seeing it. We both enjoyed the atmosphere in the OVA; it's hard to describe.

DKop wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:45 pm The minority of the vets means that the young are taking over for the old guard, or at least that's how I look at things, which i'm all for! Welcome to the site, and your avatar is cute looking, not gonna deny that.
It makes me wonder if there's similar groups in Japan where younger fans are able to meet each other and older fans as well. I imagine there's a lot of interesting storied about the fandom from the late 70s to the 90s or so.

The rabbit character's name is Bokko; from Wonder 3 (as someone else said). She is most definitely cute~ Thus why I like making sketches of her. I find it tends to be therapeutic. I need to finish reading the manga, especially now that the kickstarter for it just fell through.
Valand
Anime Fan Since: 2003

Post by Valand »

I've encountered people who like one specific older anime/manga/creator as well, but they are mostly clueless in general. But actually the anime circle was part of not too long ago was very varied in their screenings. Always a mix of new and old, sometimes back to the 60s.

My impression of Japanese internet culture is that it's quite different from elsewhere. They mainly have their chan-type boards where there's barely any socializing or deep discussion. I'm not sure what it looks like outside of the web though. When it comes to gaming I know there are acades focusing on older games where people of all ages hang out. Otherwise I think their circles are mostly tied to schools and the members are therefore typically the same age.
Onei-03

Post by Onei-03 »

I know Japanese internetu culture is different but I never learned how much. Interesting you say the image-boards there barely have any socializing or deep discussions. I wish I knew Japanese so I could look it up myself. Maybe it's just me but I can't comprehend there being little to no socializing/deep discussions unless it's an erotic thread/forum/etc.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Welcome to the forum! Super cute artwork you linked, too! :D
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Onei-03

Post by Onei-03 »

usamimi wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:00 pm Welcome to the forum! Super cute artwork you linked, too! :D
You mean my Twitter? If so, thanks. I need some place to post these at. I know Deviantart is a thing but I've felt so unsure about that place for years now.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Yeah! And I don't blame you, it seems like most artists I know left Deviant Art ages ago. Most I know of know either post their art to Instagram, Tumblr, or twitter (or all 3) since there's no real good artist "space" at the moment.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*