Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Moonsaber
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by Moonsaber »

Hi everyone.

Stumbled across this forum and thought it might be fun. I first discovered anime in 1987 because of Robotech, and became a fan of anime in general around 1993 when I was first introduced to Tonari no Totoro and was slowly indoctrinated over the next few years with shows like Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, Kimagure Orange Road, and such.

I was part of a fansub/fan group 2muchanime in the late 90's early 2000's and contributed to a few projects, including the original Manga scans for Macross 7 Trash.

I have an modest Anime Laserdisc collection (40ish titles) and maybe 100 VHS tapes, mostly fansubs (Many pro 1st copy titles from Kodocha), and did low cost distribution of my own at one time. I have.. a lot of anime, and keep up with the new stuff but the old school stuff holds a special place in my heart.
Is there such a thing as Too Much Anime?
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: New Member

Post by DKop »

I've got about half of what you got in just anime on LD, and the largest one of that is a beat up ZZ Gundam Set 1 I got from Neil Nadelman from AWA this past year. Nice to see another LD collector on here.
Moonsaber

Post by Moonsaber »

Oh, lol!

I mean I have 40+ LD Anime titles, stuff like Rumic World, UY, Macross 7, KOR and such!

I have maybe 10-15 non anime LDs at most.

Some of the stuff the best looking copies are the LDs that you can get.. I am still on the hunt for odd things I have missed.. like Genesis Survivor Gaiarth Vol 2. (I have 1+3 on LD, 1-3 on VHS). I only have volume one of BGC on LD, and would love to have the rest but the DVD happened before I bought it and I never got the rest of the LDs.. and of course now I have the Blu Ray.. and it is so AWESOME!

Glad to hear there are still Anime LD collectors too!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Welcome! I have very few LDs, but I'm always happy to see people show them love. They seem to be constantly overlooked, even when things like VHS are kinda "hip" again.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
DKop

Post by DKop »

In terms of Macross LD I got three diff versions of Macross Plus: Vol 1 from Manga, Vol 4 thats and import and Vol 2 that's the "international version". Oh wait, I got some Robotech LDs also (it totally counts guys ;) ).
Moonsaber

Post by Moonsaber »

Thank you usamimi!

DKop: You have stuff I don't.
I never got Robotech LDs, so that is cool!
I do have all 13 volumes of Macross 7.
For some reason the Macross stuff always seemed so expensive, you know?

I do have the AnimEigo "Preorder" box set for Macross on DVD though. One of my treasures! I also have MacrossDelta on Blu-Ray, the real ones, but does that count as "Old School"? Dunno. Probably not, eh?

So I guess you guys have a working LD Player? Mine is a Panasonic, auto rotate, never had a problem out of it.

Hmmm might be nice to start an LD thread?
Moonsaber

Post by Moonsaber »

Oh and sorry to double post, but chops to you if you recognize my Avatar. This was a VERY early show I saw in the mid 90's that a friend had brought back from Japan, taped off the air. It took about 20 years for someone to finally fansub it, and it is pretty rare still now.
DKop

Post by DKop »

The player I have is a Pioneer Laseractive, the one where you can pop in a cart to play Turbographix or Genesis games. Mine came with the Genesis port, but its good at playing Sega CD games with it. Mine's gotta a bit finiky where you have to put in the disk and power it off and on for it to read for some reason. It's not like there's a Laserdisc repair shop down the road to fix it, so id have to do some research on that issue which I hope its something simple to fix, but it still plays stuff so that's important.
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Welcome! :D
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Moonsaber wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:46 pm Oh and sorry to double post, but chops to you if you recognize my Avatar. This was a VERY early show I saw in the mid 90's that a friend had brought back from Japan, taped off the air. It took about 20 years for someone to finally fansub it, and it is pretty rare still now.
Tokimeki Tonight! I really wish that series got brought over here! I keep hoping Discotek might get it someday...
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*