Hello Everybody

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
MaxaMillion
Anime Fan Since: 2004

Hello Everybody

Post by MaxaMillion »

Hello, I’m glad to finally join this forum. I found this forum while looking over some posts and thought I finally join. I’m another young member, age 22. Finally found a site where all my opinions on old anime can be released.

To start things off, my first experience with anime was when I was 6 years old and I saw a little anime called "Little Memole" (Wee Wendy in the USA). It was on a VHS and at the time I didn't know it was an anime but I loved it regardless. Years later I hit the kids anime while watching TV with Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Dragon Ball Z, Ojamajo Doremi, etc. It was until middle school and high school I was in the “Dark Age” of anime. I became a fan during High School realizing what I was watching was called anime. Watched a lot of series just because they were popular and later when I got older I didn't care for them anymore. A few years ago I discovered Anime was made years ago before I was even born. The world existed before I was born, haha. Anime back then felt very nostalgia for me. (Can you be nostalgic for something you never were born in?) It’s hard to explain but the anime back then felt so quite or let scenes breathe. Mostly from night settings in anime that I first experienced. From that point on I have a huge interest in getting into anything before 1999. Love the 90s for the fast pace sharp shonen like anime. 80s for fluffy cute romance anime. 70s for choppy comedy animation that in my eyes gives it charm. 60s (mostly manga) for when there was no audience demographic and it could be as adult as it wants. That’s not to say, I do enjoy any kind of anime in general from any era. I don’t like horror, mecha or sports. Some I’ll give a try if it peaks my interest or doesn’t mold into the genre itself (Example: Gundam: War in the Pocket is the only mecha I like).

I have watched a couple and plan to watch way more. My top anime so far are: Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Video Girl AI, Otaku no Video and Excel Saga; however every time I finish another classic anime I seem to add it as my new favorite.

I enjoy anime for the story, as cliché as that sounds. I’m not into much into art as all of you guys/gals. I do enjoy aesthetics and well-drawn anime but I do want something with a great story. If at the very least I can talk to you guys about the story and characters of anime that nobody I know has ever heard of. I never experienced all the fansub tapes, conventions and other harsh perils you all faced. I’ll continue to read through posts and I would love to hear from you guys/gals and educate me as to what being a fan was like during those times.

I still have a lot of classics I need to checkout and some underrated gems that still hold up. I’m glad later on I found out I can express unpopular opinion. There are a couple of anime classics where I just thought they were ok and I was scared for admitting that. I would be more than happy to hear from everybody on what manga/anime they like and why as well as why they dislike it. I hope I can continue in this forum talking to you gals/guys on anime and manga.

Besides that I am a video game enthusiast. I enjoy the history of video games and how games are evolving from game-play, mechanics, story, etc.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Hello Everybody

Post by DKop »

Welcome to the forums! It's nice to have you on board!
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by Akage »

Welcome to the boards. :D
MaxaMillion wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:38 pmI’m not into much into art as all of you guys/gals. I do enjoy aesthetics and well-drawn anime but I do want something with a great story. If at the very least I can talk to you guys about the story and characters of anime that nobody I know has ever heard of. I never experienced all the fansub tapes, conventions and other harsh perils you all faced. I’ll continue to read through posts and I would love to hear from you guys/gals and educate me as to what being a fan was like during those times.
Some of these things, like conventions, are still around. If there's one near you or you're up for some travel, I'd recommend going to one. I've met people that later became good friends at cons, so I'd recommend going even if you're not into whatever featured anime/manga the convention is highlighting. Spending time with friends while we wait in the umpteenth line is what I usually do at conventions anyways.

That's why I always bring lots of Japanese snackies to share
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Welcome to the forum! Wow, I wonder what seeing "Memole" at the appropriate age must have been like. I've only seen it as an adult.
MaxaMillion

Post by MaxaMillion »

DKop wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:21 am Welcome to the forums! It's nice to have you on board!
Thank you very much. I'm very happy to be onboard.
MaxaMillion

Post by MaxaMillion »

Akage wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:49 am Welcome to the boards. :D

Some of these things, like conventions, are still around. If there's one near you or you're up for some travel, I'd recommend going to one. I've met people that later became good friends at cons, so I'd recommend going even if you're not into whatever featured anime/manga the convention is highlighting.
Thank you, glad to be part of this forum.

That's what I was worried about is in conventions if they have anime/manga I've never heard of or new anime I never seen it would sound boring, but I'll definitely give it a try.
MaxaMillion

Post by MaxaMillion »

davemerrill wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:08 am Welcome to the forum! Wow, I wonder what seeing "Memole" at the appropriate age must have been like. I've only seen it as an adult.
Thank you, glad to be a part of this forum.

Did you see all of Memole? Does it still hold up? It certainly was appropriate for my age. Whats funny is I could never tell if was an anime but now that I think about it Little Memole was set in the woods and a little bit of a Europe setting. A lot of older anime was set in Victorian or Europe inspired back in the day like Heidi.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

MaxaMillion wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:50 pm
Akage wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:49 am Welcome to the boards. :D

Some of these things, like conventions, are still around. If there's one near you or you're up for some travel, I'd recommend going to one. I've met people that later became good friends at cons, so I'd recommend going even if you're not into whatever featured anime/manga the convention is highlighting.

That's what I was worried about is in conventions if they have anime/manga I've never heard of or new anime I never seen it would sound boring, but I'll definitely give it a try.
There's quite a number of us on there that meet in person at conventions. I run into Dave at Anime Weekend Atlanta (coming up in less than a month, yeesh) and Akage at Animazement, two big cons that are the closest to where I live. Animazement is my "home" con since I used to live in the Raleigh NC area years ago, and AWA is not more than a couple hours drive for me. I've meet many other fans and became good friends with them over the years, like one im going to see in ATL this weekend to work on our panels for AWA as a "work weekend." Boy... talk about fun :lol: .

Some of the people ive gotten to know and given an opportunity to work in the anime industry I meet them at and through conventions. If you go for the opportunity to meet people then you won't be disappointed.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I'm a little late in doing so but welcome! :mrgreen:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
MaxaMillion

Post by MaxaMillion »

usamimi wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:57 am I'm a little late in doing so but welcome! :mrgreen: