Hello from xsquid

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
xsquid
Anime Fan Since: The Johnson Administration

Re: Hello from xsquid

Post by xsquid »

greg wrote:He used to stationed in Misawa, up until a few years ago. Like you, I think he'd rather be back there.
It's a trade-off. I spent 18 months in Misawa; the summers were very nice, and Towada Park (a semi-national park) was less than an hour's drive away, with a lovely lake tucked up in the hills. OTOH, the first snow fell a week before Thanksgiving, and the last was on Palm Sunday...and in between, 240 inches of the stuff. I had to do patrols in it way too often!
But like I said, there was the cheap Sapporo Beer, and the exquisite chocolates from Hokkaido, and 25% military discount on round-trip flights to Tokyo and Sapporo.
Did I mention that Misawa had the only jet-capable airstrip in the whole prefecture in those days? TDA came through at least twice a day, and of course there was always a JASDF fighter squadron and a Navy ASW squadron there (the USAF squadrons had left several years earlier). It may have been 'back of beyond', but it was busy enough.
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Wow, your toy collection sounds amazing. I'd love to see pictures if you ever take any.

Macross is my favorite as well. I have some Takatoku, Bandai, and new Yamato valkyries. The new ones are amazing looking, but you still gotta love the old chunky-monkeys!
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Milton? Seems I know a Milton S. From long ago...
xsquid

Post by xsquid »

I probably am, -D-. My name isn't all that common!
As for you...might your initials be R.W.?
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

xsquid wrote:I probably am, -D-. My name isn't all that common!
As for you...might your initials be R.W.?
D.O. you remember D. P. from southern Ontario? Haven't talked to him in years. I still have all the tapes he recorded for me. I actually have to go through them looking for old commercials, TV station bumpers and IDs, promos for shows, etc. for an archive site. Those are all from 1984 - 85...

Did you keep anything you recorded while in Hawaii in the 1980s or 1990s? Might PM me if you did...
xsquid

Post by xsquid »

danth wrote:Wow, your toy collection sounds amazing. I'd love to see pictures if you ever take any.

Macross is my favorite as well. I have some Takatoku, Bandai, and new Yamato valkyries. The new ones are amazing looking, but you still gotta love the old chunky-monkeys!
Well, since you asked, danth, quite a lot has happened lately.
I finally got back to Hawaii, and it's all there, and all more-or-less intact. Dusty, but intact. Right now, most of it's still there: I chose to send papers and clothes first, but in the next 90 days I expect to go back again and start moving the toys. I did send back some of my old tapes, though. It was always my intention to sift through them and move the rarer stuff onto DVD. Now I have both the time and the gear to do it.

Even I had forgotten some of the stuff that was in there! One box I opened contained the following diecast toys:

Goshogun (Takatoku)
Dairugger XV (Popy/Bandai)
GoLion (Don't you ever say “Voltron” around me!) (Popy/Bandai)
Baldios (Takatoku)
Laserion (Popy/Bandai)
Gundam (Clover)(!)
Gundam Mk. II (Bandai)
Z-Gundam (Bandai)
Gundam ZZ (Bandai)
God Mars (Popy/Bandai)

Photos will follow as soon as I get them here, promise!

There's an anime convention slated in Honolulu in the fall, and there'll be a 'museum' there honoring the 30th anniversary of Macross; I was asked to provide some artifacts for the exhibit, and was happy to comply. I might not be there to actually see them on display, but I left word that I'd chase them to the hot end of hell if they got lost or damaged. (That really wasn't necessary because I trust the guy I left them with, but I wanted others to know.)
It's been my belief that engineering students in Japan back then had to design the workings for these toys in order to graduate; a "master piece", as it were. Sure would explain a lot, wouldn't it?
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

Sounds like you made to Hawaii and got your collection.
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

An anime convention in Hawaii with a 30th Macross anniversary exhibit? Sounds like my kind of thing. I wonder if the wife will go for it...
xsquid

Post by xsquid »

Yeah, well...here's the skinny, if you wish to know:

http://www.hexxp.com/

I've a feeling I'll be a bit deaf and creaky for the music end of it.
But if you're gonna convince the wife, she deserves to know what's going on! Although, again, who really needs an excuse to visit Hawaii?