r-18...

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
r-18
Anime Fan Since: 1967

r-18...

Post by r-18 »

I'm a 59 year old military veteran joined right out of high school in 1972 spent some years in various foreign countries lost some good friends and killed some people i did not even know. did a bunch of blue collar work after i got out in 1977 wound up working for the phone company as a maintenance splicer did that for 15 years went up a pole one day (saint patrick's day to be precise) and woke up after being unconscious for 8 day to discover i had fallen off and broke my back in 4 places also several other bones in various places had blood clots and was not expected to survive but obviously i did but it took a year to relearn how to walk and talk right. got over that and moved to Oregon where i now live and well i just live here now... i hope i can contribute something to this forum but i really like to read the posts even the old ones it's kinda fun posting and seeing what others think of your ideas but you learn more from reading.
oh one other major highlight ( which you youngsters probably won't get ) i saw Janis joplin and Jimi Hendrix at the Monterey pop festival , burn that guitar jimi., can't forget that.
about being an old guy : i knew the jig was up the day i heard the rolling stones in an elevator..
the first anime i ever watched was back when it wasn't called anime...alakazam the great...back in the 60's my favorites now are slice of life/school comedies....i'm on several forums anime planet being the prime one...but lately i have been wondering ... are there many older anime fans...i can't find them...
james j. whitney...
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Re: r-18...

Post by Heibi »

Welcome. Look forward to hearing more from you in the forums.
r-18

Post by r-18 »

i have been reading the rules ...and am now not sure i will fit in here...i am in no way a scholar having spent my life in blue collar work ...i type with 2 fingers and slowly at best ....i have severe arthritis in both hands and find typing to be painful and slow...i only have the basic grasp of what is proper in the way punctuation and grammar...this is how i type and how i communicate on the net.....if it isn't sufficient ...perhaps i may as well ban myself before i end up banned by someone else....sorry about that ...but this is just the way i am....i shall wait for a reply before posting anything else..
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

James,

Welcome to the Lounge. I'm glad to have you here.

Regarding your writing style: I read your introduction before I activated your account, so I already knew how you type. Please just try your best, that's all I ask. (but don't start using abbreviations such as "u", because that would make me crazy ;) )

Please be my guest and kick back and take a load off -- this place wouldn't be a much of a lounge otherwise.

Daniel
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I'm an English teacher, and I say that your writing is fine. The forum rules are meant to prevent idiotic kids from typing like morons. These are people who have unlearned the English through using cell phones their entire lives and such. You do not fall into that category at all.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
r-18

Post by r-18 »

sounds good to me....i'm not a cell phone kid ....but my little sister ...who isn't in any way related to me...long story....got me into txt messaging ...so i do know that stuff ....ish...
r-18

Post by r-18 »

the spell checker is already on ....otherwise you'd think some extraterrestrial applied to the forum....but grammar checker??? that a new one for me...i use opera and have looked for it but.....at any rate...as painful as it already is to deal with my lack of english subtleties...is that the word???...i may have to stick to doing what i can...like now why ..why does the spell checker dis like the word "can" ...