Are we old yet?

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Are we old yet?

Post by gaijinpunch »

Hi

My real name is Paul England. I've actually dealt with greg at a games forum extensively, but I actually stumbled upon this place when I killing a little time, Googling some old fan sub groups. (I'm a sucker for nostalgia.) I can't quite place them, but I already see some familiar names.

While I grew up on Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers, I didn't get "into anime" until some years later, when I had heard about Akira, and subsequently went to the local comic store to see what else they had. This was before you could rent any of this stuff, so $35 for a 45 minute VHS tape was mostly out of my grasp. After a friend showed me how to use the modem on my parents computer, and got me started on FIDOnet, I was well on my way to losing thousands of hours of my life. I was involved in the local anime group showings for about a year until I got some money out of an insurance settlement (my house was broken into) and I got first an Amiga 2000 (but soon after opted for a 1200 and a SuperGen). Everyone can guess the rest.

The group I subtitled with, NT-Anime, in the Dallas area, mainly redid stuff using widely available scripts, but we did a few original titles as well. We just didn't have access to many translators, so that was hard. We did have several guys with crazy Laserdisc collections though. I look at Yahoo Japan now and see how much those $2000 sets of discs now cost on the used market. Ouch! One feat we accomplished was remastering Maison Ikkoku (the whole run) from the Arctic Animation scripts. They were heavily edited (as one could imagine) and retimed from scratch.

Anyway, turning a part of my hobby into my profession seemed to make sense. I majored in Japanese, and always planned on getting a business minor (or double-major) but that didn't quite work out. I did, however, move to Japan right after graduation to figure out what I wanted to do. By that time, either I was burned out, or the anime industry had already taken a turn that rubbed me wrong. Maybe it was both. But, the hobby basically stopped for me then. I sold my subtitling set off and my VHS/SVHS collection (of a few hundred tapes) and moved on. I was getting back into music, and didn't have a lot of time on my hands anyway, as I was working as an English teacher in one of Tokyo's worst companies. A couple of years later, still living in Tokyo, I got back into one of my original passions: games. I turned that hobby into a very successful side business (that I still run today), however, real life is catching up with me, so the side business gets a huge chunk of my free time, and that hobby is on the back burner except for the few odd moments when I actually have free time on my hands. Much like with anime, I'm really only interested in the stuff from the "glory days". Very little new games excite me, which is a bit of a shame. At 37, I guess there's a small chance I'm growing up. :)

My total tenure in Tokyo is very close to hitting 13 of the last 15 years. I got the JLTP L-1 back in 2006 (when I lived in Hawaii, oddly enough) and then did two dry runs of the new format (N1) in 2010 and 2011. In 2010 I missed the cut off by a point (not even a 1 percentile point) and in 2011 I hit the passing mark on the nose. Ironically, I could now translate quite a few titles, but I lack the interest. Out of all those years in Tokyo, I've never even had my TV antennae set up. The extent of what I've watched here is Chibi Maruko with my son. I do go back and watch some older stuff raw from time to time. I got the hankering to go through Maison Ikkoku (watching every episode 4-5 times when subtitling off of an LD some how just wasn't enough) so that's what I'm working on now. My job is quite stressful, and that's an easy way to decompress. I don't have to think when I watch it. I might try some other TV shows when that's over. As for new stuff, I just stick to the odd theatrical release that either appeals to my nostalgia (which thus far has only been Redline), or tries something new.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Are we old yet?

Post by greg »

It's amusing that once again, you appear on a forum I am also on. Although unlike AnimeNation's forum (and the Shmups forum), you won't find the nitwits who just post message after message of garbage without actually saying anything of value. (Humor is when you can make other people laugh. Being an obnoxious dickbrain is when you are the only one laughing.)

So you were also on FidoNet... did your BBS also subscribe to AnimeNet? It worked just like the Anime Echo, but there were echos for all sorts of individual shows, like Bubblegum Crisis, Ranma 1/2, Robotech/Macross, Studio Ghibli movies, etc. So far, it seems that I am the only one on here who was a part of that.

So how old is your son, btw? My daughter is 4. She loves Anpanman, and we also get her those Doraemon mega collection DVDs that are only about 1000 yen each from either Village Vanguard or bookstores. (Doraemon is far more watchable than Anpanman...) Lately, we've been showing her Lupin the 3rd episodes and she enjoys watching Gundam with me, too. Kids change over time. About a year ago, we tried showing her Kiki's Delivery Service, but she wasn't very interested. But now she will watch it and enjoy it.

For me, gaming is pretty much relegated to using my PSP and DS, but when she grows older, I can share with her a huge game collection and I will make sure that she establishes an appreciation for the older game consoles (especially since I've given up on buying new consoles with this latest generation). I'll also have a large anime DVD collection to share with her, too.

When my daughter was a baby, I felt like I was getting older because I no longer had time for any of my hobbies. But as she gets older, I think I will be able to enjoy all of these things even more when I'm doing so with her.

Hey, I wonder if Jeff/Rancor would be interested in this forum?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Heero

Post by Heero »

Hi Paul,
I'm terrible with names, so I can't place yours, but there's a really good chance we've met (or at least seen one another) in the past. I'm 39 and was in the Dallas area right out of college. I used to hit the UTA anime club often and the mid-to-late 90s were the years A-Kon was pretty decent. Congrats on settling in comfortably in Tokyo. I love visiting the country, but don't think I could live there. :)
(I really need to add a picture to the private section one of these days)
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Welcome aboard!
gaijinpunch

Post by gaijinpunch »

Greg:

My son is 5.5. His ADD is pretty bad, so if he's not into something, he wont' watch it. I think he's done w/ Anpanman. Started Doraemon a bit, but he's really more interested in watching horse races b/c of all the numbers on the screen. (Aspbergers is kind of strong in him, too). Tried to bust out Totoro once, as it was on TV and his mother recorded it. He wasn't having it though. Oh, well. Maybe one day.
rancor
He might. Small world -- you know we are both from Dallas? Opposite sides though, and he's quite a bit younger than me.
So you were also on FidoNet... did your BBS also subscribe to AnimeNet? It worked just like the Anime Echo, but there were echos for all sorts of individual shows, like Bubblegum Crisis, Ranma 1/2, Robotech/Macross, Studio Ghibli movies, etc. So far, it seems that I am the only one on here who was a part of that.
Yep, sure was. I think I was in anime-general (or something) most of the time. I never really got into the Usenet feeds. Once I had access to them (early '95 when I moved to UT of Austin) I had enough goings on w/ the local otaku to keep me busy, and of course, had to explain my hobby to friends.
I'm 39 and was in the Dallas area right out of college. I used to hit the UTA anime club often and the mid-to-late 90s were the years A-Kon was pretty decent.
Yeah, definitely. Are you away from Dallas now? Sometimes when I'm about to pull my hair out at work and go surfing around the interwebs I try to look up some of those guys but none of the names I remember seem to be on Facebook. Oh, well. Would be kind of weird reconnecting I assume anyway.
Heero

Post by Heero »

gaijinpunch wrote:Yeah, definitely. Are you away from Dallas now? Sometimes when I'm about to pull my hair out at work and go surfing around the interwebs I try to look up some of those guys but none of the names I remember seem to be on Facebook. Oh, well. Would be kind of weird reconnecting I assume anyway.
In Austin now, been here for a little more than 10 years, but I still check in with Dallas people on and off. Plus a good chunk of my family lives in north Dallas now, so we hit the area regularly.