Hello~

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Re: Hello~

Post by Daniel »

greg wrote:Hey D, come to think of it, what is your background? You never wrote an introduction for yourself...
He gave me an introduction when he signed up, but I assume that the reason that he hasn't posted it is because he wants to remain anonymous, at least to those who don't already know him. As you can probably tell, he is an incredibly fascinating person with a tremendous amount of experience, and I am extremely honored that he would choose to join us on this forum.

And on the subject of women and early fandom, don't forget that we have another female on this forum! Jen goes fairly far back: http://forum.animepast.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Not to derail the thread, but I want to echo _D_'s sentiments as to the vital part the ladies played in the early days of anime fandom.

My earliest exposure to films like Castle Cagliostro, Space Cobra, and Dagger Of Kamui was in a room party held at an Atlanta Fantasy Fair in 1984 by three Florida lady-fans, Vaunda Perry, Wendy Dinsmore, and Deidre Messerschmitt. Without their hospitality and friendship I don't know if we would have ever started our own anime club in Atlanta.

The Texas group EDC, which later became Project A-Kon, was run by and is still run by Meri Davis, still active and going strong.

Glad to hear Laurine White is still hosting anime club meetings in Sacramento.

My wife went to anime gatherings here in Ontario hosted by Marg and Heather, back in the 80s. I don't know if they're still in the area or not; I'd love to talk to them about the anime fan scene in Toronto at that time (what there was of it).
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

ryoran wrote:Well...the only way I got most of my information for anime on the net was Anime Web Turnpike. I remember browsing it almost every day. It's how I found Animenation, which is the first anime related forum I joined back in the day.
Daishikase as well as myself are also members on the Animenation forum. I got tired of the insipid messages on there and the level of maturity of people there. You know, people who think they're clever using the word "animu" and repeating lame phrases like, "U MAD, BRO?" Ugh.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Jen looking for these:

_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

You might be interested in this:

davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

_D_ wrote:Jen looking for these:

I have the Children's Video Library "Little Women", I don't have the other one but would LOVE to see it. It's the Kokusai Eiga "Four Sisters Of Young Grass" version of Little Women, I didn't know it had been dubbed into English.

Dammit, now I have to spend more time haunting the piles of used VHS.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

greg wrote:
ryoran wrote:Well...the only way I got most of my information for anime on the net was Anime Web Turnpike. I remember browsing it almost every day. It's how I found Animenation, which is the first anime related forum I joined back in the day.
Daishikase as well as myself are also members on the Animenation forum. I got tired of the insipid messages on there and the level of maturity of people there. You know, people who think they're clever using the word "animu" and repeating lame phrases like, "U MAD, BRO?" Ugh.
I quit around the time that started happening. Otherwise I had a ton of friends there and I remember starting up some awesome RPs. My username was Gitaru~chan on there, I think before that it was just Chevi-chan.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

llj wrote:Anime Web Turnpike was really pretty big at one time, wasn't it?
I LOVED the turnpike back in the day. I still remember their trivia contest that had an amazing (especially for the time) prize package. But more than anything, it was an amazing piece of work for the people who put it together. And I always liked Trixie Turnpike. :)