Hello~

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Re: Hello~

Post by Daniel »

ryoran wrote:because I was only 16 and a girl at the time.
This may have come out slightly differently than you intended. ;)

Welcome!
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

AnimeSennin wrote:
ryoran wrote:because I was only 16 and a girl at the time.
This may have come out slightly differently than you intended. ;)

Welcome!
Haha! Still a girl, I assure you. LOL

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Whoa, awesome, we have a lot of favorites in common, like Outlanders, El Hazard, and Tenchi Muyo. Sonoda is also one of my favorites.

You also mentioned Blue Seed, which I have on DVD but haven't gotten around to watching, other than the first episode. It tried the whole "in media res" first episode thing, but I was mostly just confused as to what was going on. I suppose if I asked you, you would tell me that I should give it another try. Do you feel like trying to sell it to me? I guess I "want to want to" watch it, if that makes any sense.
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

danth wrote:Whoa, awesome, we have a lot of favorites in common, like Outlanders, El Hazard, and Tenchi Muyo. Sonoda is also one of my favorites.

You also mentioned Blue Seed, which I have on DVD but haven't gotten around to watching, other than the first episode. It tried the whole "in media res" first episode thing, but I was mostly just confused as to what was going on. I suppose if I asked you, you would tell me that I should give it another try. Do you feel like trying to sell it to me? I guess I "want to want to" watch it, if that makes any sense.
Haha allrighty! I actually saw Blue Seed out of order. I had rented whatever they had at the video store, at least 4 or 5 episodes from the beginning or so, and loved every minute of it. And from there I actually watched it till the end, and didn't bother seeing it from episode one till much later. Actually, the first 2 episodes bored me. That said, stick with it. You'll figure out what's going on later, and it's really enjoyable! I also LOVE the omake stories at the end of each episode, they are HILARIOUS. I got attached to the characters and felt is was pretty solid the whole way through. Just talking about it I want to watch it again. I didn't get a chance to see all of the sequel either, but from what I do remember seeing of it, it was also pretty good. And I enjoyed it more in English.
animusubi
twitter | instagram
danth

Post by danth »

ryoran wrote: Haha allrighty! I actually saw Blue Seed out of order. I had rented whatever they had at the video store, at least 4 or 5 episodes from the beginning or so, and loved every minute of it. And from there I actually watched it till the end, and didn't bother seeing it from episode one till much later. Actually, the first 2 episodes bored me. That said, stick with it. You'll figure out what's going on later, and it's really enjoyable! I also LOVE the omake stories at the end of each episode, they are HILARIOUS. I got attached to the characters and felt is was pretty solid the whole way through. Just talking about it I want to watch it again. I didn't get a chance to see all of the sequel either, but from what I do remember seeing of it, it was also pretty good. And I enjoyed it more in English.
Okay, cool. That's pretty much what I wanted to hear.

Have you seen 3x3 Eyes and Cat Girl Nuku Nuku, also by Yuzo Takada?
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Without the women, no anime fandom, because they were the first people I met who could translate what we were seeing on TV or reading in manga and magazines. That would be the late 1970s or early 1980s. There are many women still into anime but you have to know. Try Helen McCarthy: http://helenmccarthy.wordpress.com/

Laurine White: Anime Sacramento Newsletter laurine.white@att.net is one of the oldest fans of anime I know, Her showings at her home have been running for several DECADES now.

Most of the women fans I knew back in the day like Marg Baskin and Heather Bruton have moved on but may still be doing stuff online. I still have all the APAs they did all those years ago. Most of the writers were women but those suckers are HEAVY. The things are as much as 2 inches thick but make great reading even today. Let me know if you might be interested in loaning some. I want these back eventually though as they are one of a kind...

I don't remember too many women anime fans from up in Winnipeg but there were a lot of boys and men that shared your passions for the series you mentioned. They still do. I still have a ton of cels from El Hazard and a few from Orange Road hanging around here someplace. Many of them read girls and women's manga to this day. I take it you were not part of the web/net culture back when you were 16? there were a lot of resources even at that time. But you had to know...

If anyone knows the current whereabouts of one Jeanette Eilke last known to be in Halifax County Nova Scotia please get hold of me. I dug out one of her fanzines the other day and it brought back a lot of old memories...
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Hey D, come to think of it, what is your background? You never wrote an introduction for yourself...
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

danth wrote:Have you seen 3x3 Eyes and Cat Girl Nuku Nuku, also by Yuzo Takada?
I love 3x3 Eyes, though I heard the original "movie" I had on VHS was actually OVAs put together. So...I really want the DVD collection now, knowing that. ;o; I remember liking it so much because it had reminded me of Jackie Chan's Armour of Gods/Operation Condor, so it had this Hong Kong action flick as an anime feel to it. (I also happen to be a huge fan of Hong Kong movies!)

Catgirl Nuku Nuku I have not seen, but always wanted to. I have a manga I found for $1 recently of Nuku Nuku though, with Yuji Moriyama's artwork. Reminded me I also wanted to watch Airbats as well.
_D_ wrote:I don't remember too many women anime fans from up in Winnipeg but there were a lot of boys and men that shared your passions for the series you mentioned. They still do. I still have a ton of cels from El Hazard and a few from Orange Road hanging around here someplace. Many of them read girls and women's manga to this day. I take it you were not part of the web/net culture back when you were 16? there were a lot of resources even at that time. But you had to know...
Well...the only way I got most of my information for anime on the net was Anime Web Turnpike. I remember browsing it almost every day. It's how I found Animenation, which is the first anime related forum I joined back in the day. I also put up my personal art site onto it back in the day, when Geocities was first around. But I relied more on Animerica, Mangazine, and Protoculture Addicts for any information. We only had one computer and I lived with a family of 6 so it was hard to keep on the thing for too long.
animusubi
twitter | instagram
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Anime Web Turnpike was really pretty big at one time, wasn't it? Personally, I hung out on usenet and animeondvd in the late 90s and early 2000s.

I was a devotee of Animerica until every other issue they did was about Pokemon.
danth

Post by danth »

ryoran wrote: Catgirl Nuku Nuku I have not seen, but always wanted to. I have a manga I found for $1 recently of Nuku Nuku though, with Yuji Moriyama's artwork. Reminded me I also wanted to watch Airbats as well.
I really enjoyed the original Cat Girl Nuku Nuku and definitely recommend it. I haven't seen Nuku Nuku Dash or TV. I tried watching Airbats and just couldn't force myself to finish it.