Jen's Intro

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Jen526
Anime Fan Since: 1992-ish

Jen's Intro

Post by Jen526 »

*Waves* Howdy, guys. Sorry for the delayed intro - Christmas kinda kicked my butt this year. I'll probably take a while to respond to the other intro threads... lots to process. :)

My origin story is pretty standard stuff - grew up in the '70's on a diet of Americanized anime-cartoons and fell in love. For me, the big formative title was Battle of the Planets. I adored "Princess" and "Mark" - and am still actually quite fond of 7-Zark-7 and Keyop's silly vocal tick. Voltron was also big around that same time. During my childhood and early teen years, I don't think I had much active awareness of *why* I enjoyed the anime-based shows so much more than other cartoons – but when I came across something in “that style”, I always felt compelled to watch. (I came across a version of Little Women on Nickelodeon once that I'd *still* love to hunt up. It's always bugged me because I don't think it was the World Masterpiece Theater version.)

I’m sure I saw Robotech during it's first run, but I don’t think I was able to watch every day, because I never quite understood what was going on. The plot always seemed to be jumping around - and the Macross/Southern Cross/Mospeada time-shifts were particularly confusing. :)

Still, I saw enough that when I came across the Jack McKinney books in my late teens, they caught my eye. I revisited the story through the books, and that led to a period of hard-core Robotech obsession during my sophomore year of college. I was just getting started on the Prodigy dial-up network at the time, and went looking for Robotech conversations in their "Animation" section. There wasn't much there, but I eventually figured out that I'd have more luck in the weirdly-named "Anime" section instead. From there, my curiosity got piqued by all these weird acronyms - OVA, BGC, KOR, VGA. And that was that. Once I found out that the art style I'd always liked had a special name and that there was MORE of it, there was no question of whether I'd be interested or not... just an immediate "Yes, please!"

I started hunting at the local comic store where I'd recently blown several hundred dollars on Robotech tapes, but after handing over another $40 on the only other anime VHS they had on hand (Vol. 1 of AnimEigo's KOR OVA release), I swallowed my distaste and went the Blockbuster route. (At the time, Blockbuster was the Walmart of the video rental business - swooping in and killing off all the local mom-and-pop stores - so I'd been boycotting the new one that had recently opened in my town.)

Once I got more familiarity with all those acronyms, I spent quite a lot of time talking (and a bit of trading) on the Prodigy boards, and later had a lot of fun with the small community of anime people on The Sierra Network. Girl-type anime fans were a bit of a novelty back then, especially in such a small community as TSN, so I found several of the guys quite eager to help me expand my knowledge with tapes and other free stuff. A friend in California also hooked me up with phone numbers for Nikaku Animart and Kimono My House - two stores that had lots of cool anime merchandise that I'd never have known about in those pre-internet-shopping days. (I still get kinda nostalgic for those days of ordering off of the Nikaku "catalog": three black-and-white pages, printed with three columns of text on front and back, stapled together with nothing but the names of items and their cost. Choices were made solely on whether the title "sounded cool". :) )

I had a bit of a lull in my fandom for several years in the late '90's. My small ponds on Prodigy and Sierra Network had dried up when everyone moved to AOL (and later, the internet overall, of course) and I found it a lot harder to make connection in the big oceans of AOL and r.a.a. It was harder to find reliable people to trade with, but the rapidly growing commerical VHS market was too expensive for my budget, so my viewing new anime slowed to a trickle.

Things picked up again when DVD's got popular and nowadays, a good 90% of the stuff I watch is via online rental from either Netflix or GreenCine. I'm still very interested in all sorts of anime, and my rental queues are usually a mix of old and new. I wholeheartedly agree with what others have said that the rise of shows about moe-girls-doing-moe-things really, really sucks... but I also find enough good-to-excellent shows in any given year to keep me hoping that the balance will eventually shift back.

Currently, my anime fandom is probably at as high a level as its ever been. A friend and I started an anime meetup group several years ago that has introduced us to several good friends that we wouldn't have met otherwise, so I see a lot of titles I might not have thought to try through our monthly get-together, and I spend way too much money on various sub-collections of anime-related stuff. (DVD's, of course, but I also have a sizable stash of anime artbooks and Totoro/Studio Ghibli merchandise that I'm moderately proud of. :) )

Ummmmm... I guess I'll close with a few favorite pre-2000 titles. This isn't a scientific "Top 10" - just the ones that jumped out at me when I look over my list on Anime Planet and seemed worth mentioning. (Also, I disqualified movies, or I'd have had to mention everything Studio Ghibli. I do have a bit of an obsession with Totoro. :) )
  • KOR/Maison Ikkoku - I lump these together because they both represent to me a time when you could have an iconic fanboy-bait female character who is still a unique individual with flaws and foibles of her own instead of a cookie-cutter clone of every other girl of that "type". Plus, both shows are just great fun.
  • Gunbuster - The first show I saw after discovering anime that really wow'd me and showed me how gut-wrenching this stuff could be. The moment where Noriko boards her father's ship and opens the doors to the bridge, expecting her father to be there, would probably still be in my top 10 list of 'most powerful moments in anime'.
  • Patlabor - I love, love, LOVE this cast to bits. It's not always the strongest show in terms of plot, but I'd so love to go out and have a beer with these characters that the occasional clunker episode doesn't really matter.
  • Lodoss - Even in old-school anime, you don't often get this level of serious, straightforward epic fantasy in anime. I love the scope of it, and the dragons always amaze me - one of the best portrayals of the sheer majesty of dragons in any medium, imo.
  • Koko wa Greenwood - If I could wave a magic wand and revive any series, it would be this one, without a doubt. The humor is so sharp, and when it turns to a more dramatic (but still comedy) plot with the final mini-arc, it nails that, too. It actively *grieves* me that the manga was so short, too.
  • Video Girl Ai - Another gut-punch emotional sort of story.
  • Romeo's Blue Skies - I love all of the World Masterpiece Theater titles I've seen, but this one was my favorite. I'm a sucker for this sort of sentimental underdog story.
  • Utena - Getting more into what I consider to be the "second gen" of anime, I guess, but it's pre-2000 and a masterpiece
  • Infinite Ryvius - Aaaand I'm very close to the 2000 deadline with this one, but I love anime that is science fiction in the thinky, old-school sense of exploring ideas and elements of the human condition, and this series does that in very cool ways.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Jen's Intro

Post by greg »

It's cool to see girls into mecha. It's not that often, I suppose. In the early '90s, anime was mostly a guy's thing, but now fan girls are everywhere, it seems. My sister and I were at a BBS get-together at a pool hall, and she was wearing my Ranma 1/2 shirt. The guy who is now her husband took notice of that and it went on from there. She used to use "Madoka" as one of her BBS handles.

I read through all the Robotech novels in high school in the early '90s. I even wrote a letter to Jack McKinney and he wrote me back. It turns out that it was a pseudonym for Brian Daley and James Luceno. I knew Brian Daley from reading his Han Solo Adventures books as a small kid, and he passed away in '96, just before Luceno wrote me a response letter. He told me of the then-upcoming Robotech novel #19 called the Malcontent Uprisings or whatever it was called. I bought it, read it, and hated it. Not only was it boring, but there were many factual errors, such as mentioning that Roy was killed in the same battle that Rick was shot down, etc. Book 20 was The Masters' Gambit (spelled "Giambit" on the spine) and that was a snore-fest too. In both cases, Luceno demonstrated his ability to puke out several hundred pages and still not develop much of a plot whatsoever. He's done some movie novelizations since then and he writes Star Wars expanded universe novels, but I haven't read anything else of his. As for Jack McKinney, I never got around to reading the Black Hole Travel Agency series.

Yeah, Blockbuster was evil back in its day. The video store on my corner was an independently-owned and operated store and had its own anime section. That's how I fell in love with Area 88, KOR, BGC, and so many others.

Prodigy, huh? I remember, back in the day, wishing I could've been on there. I just didn't have the money to do it, so I used local BBSes to try to talk about shows like Patlabor and whatnot. There was Prodigy, AOL, Delphi, CompuServe, and what... Genie or something?

Nikaku! Kimono My House! I ordered a few things from Nikaku, mainly posters. I used to get Nikaku's catalog, and I was on AnimEigo's mailing list too. I never made it to San Jose to Nikaku, but I did see their vendor's table at the '99 San Diego Comic Con. I did visit the Books Nippan store in downtown Los Angeles back in the day. I used to get their catalog, too. Their nickname was "Crooks Nippan" (Or "Science Ninja Team Crooks Nippan") because of their inflated prices.

Great list of shows! Romeo Blue Skies is on my list as well. I saw only a bit of the dubbed Gunbuster way back in the early '90s, and I couldn't appreciate the cheese factor at the time. On my last trip to Japan, I picked up the movie version on PSP video to watch on the plane ride back. I couldn't understand the show's dialogue, just as most every science fiction show has vocabulary I am not familiar with. I'd like to get the DVD that Bandai Visual put out a few years back, but I understand that they deleted the training scenes because they plagiarized the Rocky Balboa training theme for the anime. I don't know if anyone can confirm this.

Everything on your list I am familiar with and I like, except for Utena and Ryvius. I don't know those shows.

Other than that, welcome!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Welcome, Jen! Glad to have you! Please make yourself at home :)

Jen526 wrote:Sorry for the delayed intro - Christmas kinda kicked my butt this year. I'll probably take a while to respond to the other intro threads... lots to process. :)
Not a problem at all -- this is supposed to be a lounge, so please feel free to write as much or as little as you'd like. :)

Jen526 wrote:My origin story is pretty standard stuff
Everyone's story is special, and it was a pleasure reading yours :)

Jen526 wrote:During my childhood and early teen years, I don't think I had much active awareness of *why* I enjoyed the anime-based shows so much more than other cartoons – but when I came across something in “that style”, I always felt compelled to watch.
I still feel that strange, unexplainable enchantment to this day :)

Jen526 wrote:(I came across a version of Little Women on Nickelodeon once that I'd *still* love to hunt up. It's always bugged me because I don't think it was the World Masterpiece Theater version.)
As part of the site's mission to chronicle everything anime fandom related from roughly the mid-90's and prior (gulp), I'm trying to find people with old TV recordings from which I can take clips from. For example, the original airing of Robotech would be really nice to have clips from. More to the point, if I happen to come across anyone with Little Women recordings, I'll keep you in mind :)

Jen526 wrote:Girl-type anime fans were a bit of a novelty back then, especially in such a small community as TSN, so I found several of the guys quite eager to help me expand my knowledge with tapes and other free stuff.
:P

Well, we currently have a forum membership that is 20% women, so I guess we're doing pretty well ;)

Jen526 wrote:A friend in California also hooked me up with phone numbers for Nikaku Animart and Kimono My House - two stores that had lots of cool anime merchandise that I'd never have known about in those pre-internet-shopping days. (I still get kinda nostalgic for those days of ordering off of the Nikaku "catalog": three black-and-white pages, printed with three columns of text on front and back, stapled together with nothing but the names of items and their cost. Choices were made solely on whether the title "sounded cool". :) )
greg wrote:Nikaku! Kimono My House! I ordered a few things from Nikaku, mainly posters. I used to get Nikaku's catalog, and I was on AnimEigo's mailing list too. I never made it to San Jose to Nikaku, but I did see their vendor's table at the '99 San Diego Comic Con. I did visit the Books Nippan store in downtown Los Angeles back in the day. I used to get their catalog, too. Their nickname was "Crooks Nippan" (Or "Science Ninja Team Crooks Nippan") because of their inflated prices.
Mmhmm! If either of you two still have such things, it would be nice if you could upload scans to the site at sometime or other. :)

Jen526 wrote:I had a bit of a lull in my fandom for several years in the late '90's. My small ponds on Prodigy and Sierra Network had dried up when everyone moved to AOL (and later, the internet overall, of course) and I found it a lot harder to make connection in the big oceans of AOL and r.a.a. It was harder to find reliable people to trade with, but the rapidly growing commerical VHS market was too expensive for my budget, so my viewing new anime slowed to a trickle.
I just put up some bits and pieces of downloadable Dragoball fansubs from the 90's here. You should've gotten into these! :P

Jen526 wrote:I'm still very interested in all sorts of anime, and my rental queues are usually a mix of old and new. I wholeheartedly agree with what others have said that the rise of shows about moe-girls-doing-moe-things really, really sucks... but I also find enough good-to-excellent shows in any given year to keep me hoping that the balance will eventually shift back.
That's a nice way to look at things :)

I agree that all new anime isn't bad, and I haven't given up on the new stuff either. I am quite out of the loop, though. Hopefully they'll quit this moe stuff soon...!

Jen526 wrote:Currently, my anime fandom is probably at as high a level as its ever been.
Oh, I'm glad that I caught you at a good time ;)

Jen526 wrote:A friend and I started an anime meetup group several years ago that has introduced us to several good friends that we wouldn't have met otherwise, so I see a lot of titles I might not have thought to try through our monthly get-together
Hey, that's really cool! :)

What kind of stuff do you watch, and what's the age group like?

Jen526 wrote:Ummmmm... I guess I'll close with a few favorite pre-2000 titles. This isn't a scientific "Top 10" - just the ones that jumped out at me when I look over my list on Anime Planet and seemed worth mentioning. (Also, I disqualified movies, or I'd have had to mention everything Studio Ghibli. I do have a bit of an obsession with Totoro. :) )
Nice list! As for Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli stuff, I really like Nausicaa!

Also, it's quite alright to like post-2000 titles here, so you're free to talk about those as well if you'd like :)

Jen526 wrote:Gunbuster - The first show I saw after discovering anime that really wow'd me and showed me how gut-wrenching this stuff could be. The moment where Noriko boards her father's ship and opens the doors to the bridge, expecting her father to be there, would probably still be in my top 10 list of 'most powerful moments in anime'.
Hmmhmm, I sense a "top 10 list of most powerful moments in anime" thread coming on, with a YouTube video to be done after the debate... :)

Jen526 wrote:Lodoss - Even in old-school anime, you don't often get this level of serious, straightforward epic fantasy in anime. I love the scope of it, and the dragons always amaze me - one of the best portrayals of the sheer majesty of dragons in any medium, imo.
I like Lodoss War as well. What do you think of the OVAs versus the TV series?

Can you think of any other titles that are serious, straightforward epic fantasy?

Jen526 wrote:Video Girl Ai - Another gut-punch emotional sort of story.
It was funny at first, but got really serious toward the end, didn't it?

Jen526 wrote:Infinite Ryvius - Aaaand I'm very close to the 2000 deadline with this one, but I love anime that is science fiction in the thinky, old-school sense of exploring ideas and elements of the human condition, and this series does that in very cool ways.
I watched They Were 11 not too long ago, and your description of Infinite Ryvius brought that movie to mind for some reason. I liked it; you might like it as well if you haven't seen it already (or maybe not :P )

Anyhow, welcome, welcome, welcome!
Daniel
Ganalef
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by Ganalef »

Video girl Ai! I *knew* I'd forget something important!

For a time she was even the closest thing I had to a waifu!

<goes off to his profile and adds it>

You mention all the weird acronyms that otaku used to (and possibly still) use. I've often thought that familiarity with these acronyms is one of the potential 'tests' for how long someone's been an otaku. I've never actually participated, say, in a flame war about whether we should say AMG or OMG (or OVA or OAV), but I've seen 'em a lot. ^_^

Utena. I babble about this elsewhere. I think the anime kicks the manga's arse, and it's rare that any anime do that (though Sailor Moon is, IMO, an example.

Patlabor: I heart Noa-chan. Even though I've never been able to get into mecha so much, I enjoyed what I saw of Patlabor for that reason.

My beloved tells me that Maison Ikkoku deserves kudos; it may be the only medium-to-long story Takahashi's ever done that was allowed to have a proper and satisfying conclusion.

Poop. It's bed time, and I have to go to work tomorrow. Be well.
~ I miss SLMR's tagline lists.
Jen526
Anime Fan Since: 1992-ish

Post by Jen526 »

BIG RESPONSE OF DOOOOOM! :) *cough* which is to say that this got long.
It's cool to see girls into mecha.
I don't really consider myself as being "into" mecha, honestly. I don't dismiss a show just because it has giant robots in it, but I've always thought being a "mecha" fan assumes that one has an appreciation for the design and coolness factor of the mecha itself in the show - an enjoyment of techie side of things - and I don't have that. Shows like Patlabor or Full Metal Panic, for example, may technically be "mecha" shows, but I would enjoy them just as much or more if you replaced the mech with some low-tech variant, because I'm there for the character drama, not the techie stuff. For another example, the only Gundam I've ever been able to enjoy at *all* is 0080, and that's because it has the gut-wrenching Romeo & Juliette thing going for it.
Prodigy, huh? I remember, back in the day, wishing I could've been on there. I just didn't have the money to do it, so I used local BBSes to try to talk about shows like Patlabor and whatnot. There was Prodigy, AOL, Delphi, CompuServe, and what... Genie or something?

*grin* Yeah, Genie. When I got my first "real" computer post-college, I'd been on Prodigy for a while already, but the computer came with trials for Delphi, Compuserve, and Genie. I signed up for all of them. :) I dropped Genie and CompuServe after a couple months, but Delphi was my main tool for accessing UseNet for a good couple years.
I did visit the Books Nippan store in downtown Los Angeles back in the day. I used to get their catalog, too. Their nickname was "Crooks Nippan" (Or "Science Ninja Team Crooks Nippan") because of their inflated prices.
LOL. I do remember getting a catalog or something from Books Nippan a few times, but they really were prohibitively expensive. :) And I seem to remember their selection being a lot more "mainstream" and less quirky than the sort of things you could get a Nikaku...
I saw only a bit of the dubbed Gunbuster way back in the early '90s [...] I'd like to get the DVD that Bandai Visual put out a few years back, but I understand that they deleted the training scenes because they plagiarized the Rocky Balboa training theme for the anime. I don't know if anyone can confirm this.
Hmmmm... Per wikipedia, they just switched the music. I'm pretty horrible at noticing soundtracks, so it's minor to me. I think I still have the VHS tapes around in storage. I'll have to find them and compare sometime. I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed if the training montage was missing - I love that part.
For example, the original airing of Robotech would be really nice to have clips from.
<...>
Mmhmm! If either of you two still have such things, it would be nice if you could upload scans to the site at sometime or other.
*grin* You're killing me here. I had *all* of that kind of stuff before I had my big "OMG, no one is ever going to care about some old Nikaku catalog, I'm two steps away from being on Hoarders, and this stuff needs cleaned out NOW!" spring cleaning bonanza a few years ago. I probably didn't have actual first-run Robotech tapes, but I did have some a friend copied for me back in the very early '90's, and he'd probably had them a few years, at least.
A friend and I started an anime meetup group several years ago
What kind of stuff do you watch, and what's the age group like?
The rest of the group are all in the early/mid-30's range. (I'm the old lady at 40.) It was actually somewhat problematic when we were on meetup.com because we'd occasionally get signups from 14-year-olds who wanted to have their mom drop them off with three or four friends, and I always had to be the one to say "Ummmm...no." :)

The rest of my group is all from the post-toonami fandom wave, so several of them lean heavily toward newer shows and dubs-over-subs, but we've watched a nice mix over the years. Some that have been popular: Now and Then, Here and There. School Rumble. Samurai 7. Slayers. I brought Otaku no Video to one of our earlier gatherings, and none of them had seen it before. It was the first (but not last) time they made me feel old. :)
I like Lodoss War as well. What do you think of the OVAs versus the TV series?
*blush* TBH, I haven't seen much of the TV Series yet. I have kind of a weird situation because... well, I mentioned I do a lot of rental-viewing, right? But I also am not shy about buying a series on DVD once it's obvious from the rental that it's great. So, I have a fair number of shows where I've watched half of it on rental, bought it - and then it sits on my shelves and stagnates because it's now available to watch *any* time, and want to keep that rental queue rotating.

Anyway, Lodoss TV is one that I bought at a good sale price a long time ago and have never actually watched. :P Kinda sad.
Can you think of any other titles that are serious, straightforward epic fantasy?
Not many, really. It always surprises me how few there are. Heroic Legend of Arslan. Guin Saga. Berserk. I'm sure I could come up with a few others if I thought harder and/or pushed the boundaries of what I consider "serious" and "epic fantasy", but not a lot. :(
Video girl Ai! I *knew* I'd forget something important!
It's really a crime how forgotten it's become... VGA, Ah! My Goddess, and Tenchi Muyo used to be a kind of holy triumvirate of that sort of shleppy-guy-gets-the-magical-girl genre. AMG/Tenchi have endured, but I doubt most newer fans today have even heard of Ai.

(And yeah, I will fight to the death for my "AMG" and "OVA" abbreviations. ;) )
Patlabor: I heart Noa-chan. Even though I've never been able to get into mecha so much, I enjoyed what I saw of Patlabor for that reason.
Yeah, like I mentioned above, for me it's not the mecha that make Patlabor great - it's the characters. It's like a workplace sitcom that just happens to have robots, and the lynchpin of any great workplace sitcom is whether the cast are people you want to hang out with. I have a mini-crush on Asuma, but also love Noa's spunk and Ohta's over-the-top-ness... and Goto is just one of the best characters EVAR with his deceptively sneaky laidback-ness. :)
Anime-Kyo-Uk
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by Anime-Kyo-Uk »

Hello Jen,
I too grew up in the '70's on a diet of Americanized anime-cartoons But in Australia (Victoria) Kiba, Marine-Boy, and Battle of the Planets, then in Spain Mazinger\Mazinger Z and I still have all the Jack McKinney Robotech books. I also have fond memories of Lodoss War, Patlabor, Gunbuster, Orange Road, and Masison Ikkoku.

Bye for now,
Carlo
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Welcome, Jen, Welcome! I have the feeling I should know you somehow. :)

So, listen, can you do me a favor? What did you like, how was it you enjoyed Infinite Ryvius?

(this would probably belong in the 'anime' or 'what you're watching' threads if it's a good big essay ;) )

See, when I was working at Suncoast I actually got a free copy of volume 1, one of the 'gimmies' they used to pass out at the annual Manager's Meeting-actually not a 'gimmie' so much as walk among all the booths of the different suppliers and take one. I didn't do this, it was my boss and she just grabbed crap. Got a nifty Lupin III tee one year, never took it out of its 'tshirt cannon' puck packaging.

anyway, got volume 1, watched it, just felt a complete sense of 'meh'. Being an honest tester I paid cash money for volume 2 and nothing. No spark. The 'science' was nigh-incomprehensible, and the overall story just seemed like a 'pass' on Sunrise's previous 'kids on their own' drama Vifam, only maybe with a bit more 'Lord of the Flies'.

What did I miss? Was it filled with lots of sex-saaay bishi bois or was it a show that didn't get 'good' until episode 14 or the whole thing was a elongated essay on the troubles of making friends and hooking up or something? Usually I can watch anything all the way thru but Infinite Ryvius defeated me.

Blah blag blurg. Sorry. Welcome aboard! Don't be a stranger! :)
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

SteveH wrote:Welcome, Jen, Welcome! I have the feeling I should know you somehow. :)
Actually, Jen's not new. Her thread just got bumped up. We don't see her around much anymore, unfortunately.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

greg wrote:
SteveH wrote:Welcome, Jen, Welcome! I have the feeling I should know you somehow. :)
Actually, Jen's not new. Her thread just got bumped up. We don't see her around much anymore, unfortunately.
Well, foo. Doesn't negate my comment however. :)