Greetings and salutations! (Beware the wall o' text!)

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Re: Greetings and salutations! (Beware the wall o' text!)

Post by Daniel »

Hello Ms. usamimi, and welcome to the board!

I will check out some of the work you've been doing with fandubs and such sometime soon, once I get a moment. Would you care to have links to any of your stuff up on our Site Hub? It's at http://animepast.net/Site_Hub/ . (Which reminds me, I really need to update that page, since I know that other forum members have things that I haven't posted there yet...)

Did you dump all your tapes when you moved? I tossed out pretty much all of my fansubs and TV recordings maybe a decade ago, which I now sorely regret. Official stuff is relatively easy to get back, but I'm still having trouble getting ahold of non-official stuff. Maybe I should make a "stuff you tossed out but wished you hadn't" thread. I think I will...

Welcome!!
Daniel
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

AnimeSennin wrote:Hello Ms. usamimi, and welcome to the board!

I will check out some of the work you've been doing with fandubs and such sometime soon, once I get a moment. Would you care to have links to any of your stuff up on our Site Hub? It's at http://animepast.net/Site_Hub/ . (Which reminds me, I really need to update that page, since I know that other forum members have things that I haven't posted there yet...)

Did you dump all your tapes when you moved? I tossed out pretty much all of my fansubs and TV recordings maybe a decade ago, which I now sorely regret. Official stuff is relatively easy to get back, but I'm still having trouble getting ahold of non-official stuff. Maybe I should make a "stuff you tossed out but wished you hadn't" thread. I think I will...

Welcome!!
Daniel
Thanks! I wouldn't mind at all! Feel free to share my links on the site, the more the merrier, eh? ;D My Youtube account is also Youtube.com/bunnycartoon. :mrgreen:

Yeah, sadly I think most of my old fansub tapes got thrown out. Some of them may still be in storage at my folks' house with some random boxes I asked them to keep, but I haven't gone through them yet so I have no clue. I know at one point I had a VHS Tape of "Memories" I bought used from a Japanese video rental place in Seattle, but I have no idea what happened to it. (Which sucks, I loved the box art that it came with, if I recall it was much nicer than what was slapped together for the US DVD :P)

Out of all the fansubs I ever got rid of, I think I miss my fansubs of Fushigi Yuugi the most. Tomodatchi Fansubs did SUCH an amazing job subbing that title back in the day--you could tell they really put their hearts into it. (And for back then, subbing a 52 ep series was probably a daunting task!) My bf actually still has both box sets of the Pioneer release, we've held onto it just for nostalgia's sake even though we don't have a VCR hooked up anymore. :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

hey Usamimi, welcome to the old folks' home! Not that we're old. Experienced, that's the word.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

davemerrill wrote:hey Usamimi, welcome to the old folks' home! Not that we're old. Experienced, that's the word.
Haha, I liked that! Maybe I should start calling myself that instead of "old". XD
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

Hiya usamimi. Welcome to the board. Good to hear from another Texas resident (lots of "foreigners" on here ;) ). You should come down to Ushicon in 2 weeks http://www.ushicon.com we have some good people on hand. :)
usamimi wrote:Out of all the fansubs I ever got rid of, I think I miss my fansubs of Fushigi Yuugi the most. Tomodatchi Fansubs did SUCH an amazing job subbing that title back in the day--you could tell they really put their hearts into it. (And for back then, subbing a 52 ep series was probably a daunting task!) My bf actually still has both box sets of the Pioneer release, we've held onto it just for nostalgia's sake even though we don't have a VCR hooked up anymore. :lol:
I still have those actually, if you WANT them we could probably part with them since I don't think the wife is particularly attached to them. For whatever reason we still have a bunch of VHS both official and fansub. The CLAMP Campus Detectives release was kind of disappointing for dropping the omake items, but still fun. I've got a half dozen things that I SHOULD pick up on DVD sometime if they ever got released that way.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Heero wrote:Hiya usamimi. Welcome to the board. Good to hear from another Texas resident (lots of "foreigners" on here ;) ). You should come down to Ushicon in 2 weeks http://www.ushicon.com we have some good people on hand. :)

I still have those actually, if you WANT them we could probably part with them since I don't think the wife is particularly attached to them. For whatever reason we still have a bunch of VHS both official and fansub. The CLAMP Campus Detectives release was kind of disappointing for dropping the omake items, but still fun. I've got a half dozen things that I SHOULD pick up on DVD sometime if they ever got released that way.
Hiya! I've heard good things about Ushicon...one of these years when I have the money I might come check it out. :D There's so many Texan cons, it seems like! I wish I could check out all of them! So far I've only done A-kon...I wouldn't mind checking out A-fest, too.

Aww, that's sweet of you, but it's ok. I dunno where I'd put all those tapes, anyway. :lol: I actually managed to scoop up the DVD release of CLAMP School on Barnes & Noble's marketplace before the price skyrocketed (last I looked, people were tying to sell it used for $100+...so glad I managed to find it brand-new for $30.) I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch it (I used to have some of the "AnimeVillage" release tapes in high school, haha, remember that?) so I dunno if they included the omake stuff in the extras...I hope they did. ;A;
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

I have only seen the Bionoids video, but I understand that the original version did not have all of the heavy editing. I'll never forget the cheesy acting in it. "A MAN AND A WOMAN?" That was one of those elusive English dubs. I remember there being a Streamline dub of Megazone 23 part 2 that was only released in Japan, on LaserDisc, I beleive. ----OK, I just checked Wikipedia, and it looks like I am right.

So wow, an actual anime club in high school? I guess I missed that by a few years. I think we all went through somewhat of a weeaboo phase when we first discovered anime back then. Call me selfish, but anime was more exciting back when it was more of a secret, as you put it, than as a part of mainstream. Then again, I'm the same way with music. I was into Alternative music in high school back when nobody knew what it was. Others would ask me what I listened to, and I told them Alternative. "Alternative to what?" "Alternative to what you listen to, obviously."

Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see another YouTuber on here. I first learned about this forum from Daniel's AnimePast channel. I'll take a look at your stuff when I get home from work.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:I think we all went through somewhat of a weeaboo phase when we first discovered anime back then. Call me selfish, but anime was more exciting back when it was more of a secret, as you put it, than as a part of mainstream.

Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see another YouTuber on here. I first learned about this forum from Daniel's AnimePast channel. I'll take a look at your stuff when I get home from work.
Things do seem a lot more "special" when they're not mainstream, I do agree...I do know that there's definitely perks to anime being mainstream now, though (I mean, being able to easily and cheaply buy new releases is a bonus. And the fact that we basically have 90% of all of the Ghibli movies here in either DVD or blu-ray is something I never thought I'd see.)

I honestly don't have much on my Youtube channel...a lot of my older vids are more personal stuff than fandom-related, but as time goes by hopefully I can change that. ;D Thanks for the welcome!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

usamimi wrote:I honestly don't have much on my Youtube channel...a lot of my older vids are more personal stuff than fandom-related, but as time goes by hopefully I can change that. ;D Thanks for the welcome!
Wow, you were involved with the fan dub of the Ys game for the PC Engine! You have just gained 3,000 EXP and are now a Level 10 Geek Warrior. Now go recover your HP at the inn.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:
usamimi wrote:I honestly don't have much on my Youtube channel...a lot of my older vids are more personal stuff than fandom-related, but as time goes by hopefully I can change that. ;D Thanks for the welcome!
Wow, you were involved with the fan dub of the Ys game for the PC Engine! You have just gained 3,000 EXP and are now a Level 10 Geek Warrior. Now go recover your HP at the inn.
Oh, boy! 8D Does that mean I learned any special abilities? lol!