Hello everyone

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
nordstar
Anime Fan Since: Mid 90's

Hello everyone

Post by nordstar »

I was born in 1979 and my childhood was eaten up by two things Star Wars and Lego. That pretty much didn't change until I saw adverts for a new cable channel "SciFi". I remember the bumps and waited for a none stop SciFi Channel. I watched that channel 24-7. Then the adverts for Saturday Anime came and from the first showing I was hooked. What I say changed my focus for many years. I never really had anyone else to share the love of these shows/movies/OVA's until about 1999 but by that time most people had moved on to other shows. I remember friends marathoning Excel Saga and Slayers and I just couldn't fallow so they left me behind. They did introduce me to Neon Genesis Evangelion which I love (Pen Pen was the best). When Lain came out we where all over that show and went and saw Boa preform in LA at 14 Below.

I am mostly a thrifter/bargain shopper when it comes things so my only outlet at the time was Suncoast and we all now how expensive they where. I kept up with what was on TV from time to time and bought the odd movie that I liked. I remember staying up late watching Blue Seed and other new stuff when Encore Action started showing anime.

As of late though I have been finding a lot of Anime VHS and Laserdisc at garage sells and 2nd hand stores. For the past year I have been head over heals again for the great anime of the 80's and early 90's.

I can't wait to trade stories and tapes I find with others that love the older anime.
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Re: Hello everyone

Post by Heero »

Welcome aboard. I was never a fan of Excel Saga (or other perennial favorite FLCL). I think most anyone that was a kid in that late 70s/early 80s timeframe HAD to be a Star Wars fan, it was almost a law. :lol: Cool on the Lego thing too. I still stop in the Lego Store at my local mall whenever I go by. I don't really buy anything from there nowadays, but it's really cool to look at the stuff. I'm also amazed that you can now go into those stores and buy as many blocks of a set size and color that you want. That's the kind of thing I'd have killed for as a kid after trying to scrounge enough of the right colored blocks from various combined kits. :)
nordstar
Anime Fan Since: Mid 90's

Post by nordstar »

I hear you there Heero. I love the lego store and being able to buy the pieces you want, would have been great growing up. Now about the following "being a Star Wars fan, it was almost a law". I remember the first time I brought up Star Wars with some of my High School friends that weren't nerds (pre Episode I days) and having them tell me that they have never seen any of the films :o (man was that a shocker). I guess I just assumed everyone had to of seen at least one of the films by then.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Looks like I've met a kindred spirit~ I love shopping for bargains on things to make part of my anime/manga collection. So I spend alot of time searching Goodwills, other thrift stores, Half Price books, eBay, and other various online places selling used goods! :3
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

Welcome aboard! I'm also a big bargain hunter, going to flea markets, garage sales, and thrift shops year round. Its alot of fun, exercise, and I get to catch up on all kinds of stuff I missed the first time around.

Saturday Anime on Scifi was a large part of my early teen years as well. I still have every single anime they showed taped off TV (except GE 999 which vanished), despite having DVDs of most of them. Did E.Y.E.S of Mars ever even get released on VHS/DVD?
Last edited by Path on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Welcome, welcome! :D
omg, I am the SAME WAY. I love thrift shopping and stuff, too, just like Ryoran. XD I rarely ever buy anime brand new anymore if I can help it.

Path - EYES of Mars got a VHS release, but not an official DVD one (probably because of the terrible reviews most websites gave it.) I have seen people on websites like "ioffer" selling bootleg dvds of it, though.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Welcome to the forum. So where are you from?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Path

Post by Path »

usamimi wrote:
Path - EYES of Mars got a VHS release, but not an official DVD one (probably because of the terrible reviews most websites gave it.) I have seen people on websites like "ioffer" selling bootleg dvds of it, though.
Thanks for the link. That was one anime I don't ever remember seeing on store shelves back in the day. I haven't see it in years, but I think I remember it fairly well, and it was okay, but nothing really good.

The first Saturday Anime I ever saw was Akira, and you better believe I was blown away by it.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, I never saw it for sale anywhere, though I did see it at a video store once. I thought it was an okay movie, for what it was, but since it's been years since I've seen it I might not remember it all that well. XD

Oddly enough, I only saw Akira once on TV...I rented it once before, when I was like 11 or 12? (lol, oops). It freaked me out at first, but then I came to love it. (Still love it, I have it on blu-ray now.)
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Path

Post by Path »

usamimi wrote:Yeah, I never saw it for sale anywhere, though I did see it at a video store once. I thought it was an okay movie, for what it was, but since it's been years since I've seen it I might not remember it all that well. XD

Oddly enough, I only saw Akira once on TV...I rented it once before, when I was like 11 or 12? (lol, oops). It freaked me out at first, but then I came to love it. (Still love it, I have it on blu-ray now.)
Our local mom & pop video store (West Coast Video, RIP) had a strange anime selection. It was mostly hentai (which I never rented), with a few classics thrown in like Sea Prince & Fire Child, Warriors of the Wind, and Unico. It wasn't until a Blockbuster opened and put them under that I could rent normal stuff like Akira, Burn Up, Dirty Pair OVAs, and Ghost in the Shell.