Hi. I'm Mike Toole.

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Mike Toole
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Hi. I'm Mike Toole.

Post by Mike Toole »

me, Otakon 1998
  • first saw anime in the fall of 1980. It was the space mummy episode of BATTLE OF THE PLANETS, at Grandma's house. I was hooked! Boston was lucky, we got all sorts of stuff on TV (STAR BLAZERS, FORCE FIVE, ROBOTECH, MACRON ONE... even SPEED RACER and ASTROBOY!).
  • Liked it throughout my youth. Never pursued it with great vigor-- an Area 88 comic here, an Appleseed VHS there-- until I went to college
  • Went to college anime club meeting and saw HERE IS GREENWOOD and RANMA 1/2 MOVIE 1 fansubs. Hooked all over again!
  • Pretty much everything started from there. Since, I've gone to a bunch of cons, staffed a bunch of cons, written for some magazines, worked for a couple of anime publishers a bit, and even ran a site of my own for around a decade (animejump.com, which is now being squatted).
  • Currently, I write a column for Anime News Network. I still like going to cons and talking at them, too.

I still watch anime every day. Not balls-out obsessed with it anymore, but can't imagine life without it. How YOU doin?
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Hi. I'm Mike Toole.

Post by greg »

Hi, thanks for joining! Conversations may not flow as quickly as elsewhere on the Net, but we're growing.

In high school, I had an older friend from Massachusetts and he said that there was plenty of anime stuff there to be found. He even gave me my Dirty Pair and Char's Counterattack posters he'd bought in a comic book store in Boston, which remain framed on my walls today. He also gave me his beat-up Robotech poster, which I passed on to another friend of mine.

Welcome!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Welcome Mike! :D
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

IIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's Mike! Hey you.
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

Hiyas Mike! I can say without a doubt your column on ANN is my favorite every week. Its always about something different and always very interesting.
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

Welcome to the forums Mike!!!
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Yes, yes you are. You are indeed Mike Toole. Or that guy from The Big O. I forget sometimes.

Welcome to the madness! :)
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Hey Mike! Welcome!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Wow, welcome Mike! I just started following you on Twitter recently, too, what a crazy coincidence XD
Path wrote:Hiyas Mike! I can say without a doubt your column on ANN is my favorite every week. Its always about something different and always very interesting.
I agree, love your work and your Twitter's great. Awesome to see you here as well!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*