Hello thar :)

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Hello thar :)

Post by greg »

Yes, the more the merrier! Thank you for joining!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

ryoran wrote: I feel like artist alleys are full of jewelry, homestuck, and my little pony, and being into less and less newer anime
Yeah, I feel that. Artist Alley at A-kon this year was a lot of all of these things as well (not to mention Steampunk stuff, "I'll draw you and your friends as chibis" commissions, hug pillows, novels [not comics], and even someone who did facepainting o.O)...I was honestly amazed that I found an artist who had a Lum print (and she said I was the only person who recognized her ;__;)...other than the artist who had the Ranma buttons I got, I didn't see a whole lot of "old" anime/manga/games being represented, and it kinda bummed me out. I think this was the first year in a while were I barely bought any stuff from AA, I felt kinda bad. :cry:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

usamimi wrote:
ryoran wrote: I feel like artist alleys are full of jewelry, homestuck, and my little pony, and being into less and less newer anime
Yeah, I feel that. Artist Alley at A-kon this year was a lot of all of these things as well (not to mention Steampunk stuff, "I'll draw you and your friends as chibis" commissions, hug pillows, novels [not comics], and even someone who did facepainting o.O)...I was honestly amazed that I found an artist who had a Lum print (and she said I was the only person who recognized her ;__;)...other than the artist who had the Ranma buttons I got, I didn't see a whole lot of "old" anime/manga/games being represented, and it kinda bummed me out. I think this was the first year in a while were I barely bought any stuff from AA, I felt kinda bad. :cry:
I think the last time I saw any older series being represented was when I was selling there. And that was of course, at least a year or two before the appearance of MLP and Homestuck. I think AA and people selling jewelry should be separated, because 90% of Sakuracon's AA was crafts and jewelry. And with the limited amount of tables, actual artists couldn't attend. I dunno...it's seeming so less and less like an anime con these days.
Sgirl wrote:I think comic conventions up there in the NW region are different -- a little more open to stuff than those down here in the SE. Comics are for comic pros mostly from what I could tell.

I do hear you though about what AAs have become and it's frustrating at times... hence my continued thinking of leaving them pretty much for a while.

That said, the one good thing about being on the "old side" of the represesnted artists is that I have a portfolio that is really deep if I ever nee d to pull out some pieces. Sometimes it's good to have the old stuff honestly - because those are the fans who appreciate what you have more and will come over and talk to you. (How sad is it that we unite over our oldness ;_;!) I've even had a few voice actors come by at both AWA and Animazement because I have something they also like . That made the sitting there in the alley feeling really OLD worth it xD.

I hope to go out to SakuraCon next year just to wander. I always like the complement of guests that show on the west coast... and also am curious about the fandom up there. Haven't been to a west coast con in probably 3-4 years? Maybe longer... I went to AX until the second year in the LACC and decided not to go when the huge volunteer walkout happened. It just got too stressful to do the AA and too crowded to enjoy as a convention anymore.
I'm hoping Sakuracon gets more decent guests next year. American voice actors and J-rock stars I've never heard of seems to be the norm at Sakuracon nowadays. This year they did have Shinichiro Watanabe, but I didn't attend. He'd have been the only guest I might've attended for. I always heard good things about Fanime, but I haven't attended in nearly 8 years.

As for AAs, I'm finding more and more artists moving to Comic Conventions to sell their art because anime conventions aren't doing the job anymore. Like I was explaining to usamimi above. And some of my friends who sold at Emerald City Comic Con loved it 10x more than they did when they went to Sakuracon a week later. Less kids, more people who appreciate art, etc. I'm sensing this may become a norm in the future.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ryoran wrote:American voice actors and J-rock stars I've never heard of seems to be the norm at Sakuracon nowadays.
It's not just Sakuracon, I've been hearing a lot of con attendees our age complaining about that. I recognize less and less of the special guests at conventions around here lately. I must be getting old. ^^;
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

usamimi wrote:
ryoran wrote:American voice actors and J-rock stars I've never heard of seems to be the norm at Sakuracon nowadays.
It's not just Sakuracon, I've been hearing a lot of con attendees our age complaining about that. I recognize less and less of the special guests at conventions around here lately. I must be getting old. ^^;
I feel like I missed the boat when we had more Japanese Industry guests. I mean, I'd pretty much go to any con if they announced Atsuko Nakajima. Or if they'd get Nobuteru Yuuki again (went the Sakuracon he was a guest and forgot something I wanted him to sign). Like more artists, PLEASE.

And how many times can one person really go see Vic Mceggnogalog?! Does this guy have like a hyperbollic time chamber or something that he can go to practically every anime convention?
animusubi
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Omg I would LOVE to get something from Nakajima-san...she's one of my favorite artists. ;3; I was lucky to get Yuuki-san to sign not one, but 2 things for me (I made my now-ex stand in line with me and he got something of mine signed, lol. :mrgreen: ) He even drew a picture in my Chrono Cross Ultimania guide! :D

I SERIOUSLY DO NOT understand how Vic gets top-billings at all the cons he goes to. I had a horrific run-in with him at one of the last Sakuracons I went to, and now that I work staff at A-kon I've heard plenty of stories about how no one wants to be his liaison. But apparently having him at cons sells more tickets, which just baffles me... Kids today have weird senses of taste, I guess. :roll:
Animusubi

Post by Animusubi »

usamimi wrote:I SERIOUSLY DO NOT understand how Vic gets top-billings at all the cons he goes to. I had a horrific run-in with him at one of the last Sakuracons I went to, and now that I work staff at A-kon I've heard plenty of stories about how no one wants to be his liaison. But apparently having him at cons sells more tickets, which just baffles me... Kids today have weird senses of taste, I guess. :roll:
I don't remember any American voice actors getting his kind of press. I mean I like quite a few of the Ocean Studios members, I'd be happy to get their autographs on some of my Ranma 1/2 items. I just...if Vic is what is selling more tickets at cons, then just make a VicCon. They can all go there and we can have our anime cons back. :lol:
animusubi
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Maybe he has a really, really persistent agent? :?
I mean, there are a lot of great American actors, and I love meeting lots of them...most of them are humble and kind, and are more than willing to share their knowledge and encouragement with others. But I've never seen someone get their ass kissed as much as Vic (he even has his own autograph lines and panels completely seperate from any of the other voice actors, whereas every other voice actor I've met will gladly share lines and tables with anyone). I seriously don't get it, but then again, I probably don't want to. :lol:
Sgirl
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Post by Sgirl »

Hey guys! Sorry to be so quiet the last few days.

I'm SO glad people actually know how Nakajima and Yuuki are. They're among my favorite designers, although I kind of admit to liking Akihiro Yamada and Akemi Hayashi a lot more.

And then I LOOOOOVE Risa Ebata's turn on Macross Frontier.

In general anime cons drift/have drifted to become fandom cons. I don't mind seeing the fluid mix of western/Japanese animation, but as an attendee, I will always choose conventions that make an effort to highlight foreign talent over those that take a broader approach.

Interestingly enough next year Momocon will go head to head with Animazement. Momo is anime+gaming+cosplay (more general fandom oriented) and Animazement has remained fairly committed to its central vision . (I went back two years ago and was pleased to see the VA for GAnkutsuou there alongside other American VA talent.)

As a fan, I'd rather go to AZ.... but Momocon is a hometown convention and as an artist it probably makes more sense to go there.

Honestly, not sure what to do. I've always loved how I can still get an autograph at AZ with less hassle than the big cons like AX. If I fail to get into the AA in Momo, I'll probably go to AZ.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Hey, belated welcome to the board! See you in September at AWA, probably!