CREATE USER "Drew_Sutton";mk "Intro.txt";POST "Intro.txt"

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

CREATE USER "Drew_Sutton";mk "Intro.txt";POST "Intro.txt"

Post by Drew_Sutton »

.... Yeah, sorry for that terrible pseudo-code subject line; I'm better at content posting than I am coming up with subjects, I promise.

Hey everyone; my name is Drew. I forget how I found this forum exactly, I remember being linked to a thread on Twitter, read through some of the threads over a couple days and figured this would be a great community to join. I got involved in anime fandom in about 1993 (or maybe '94?) when I was a kid, almost entirely by accident. Like most 80s kids, I followed dubs of Voltron and outsourced animation/joint ventures like The Transformers but I had little inclination of their origins at the time. I was really heavily involved in comic books (thanks, market saturation!) and it was through Atlanta Comic Con that I got exposed to bootleg fansubs (sold at bargain prices of $20/tape). Over the next year or so, while getting what little anime my allowance could afford me, I found US dub broadcasts of Yoroiden Samurai Troopers (AKA Ronin Warriors), Sailor Moon and Dragonball, which I taped and continued to watch over and over again. By about 1996, comics fell by the wayside and it was all Japanese Cartoons, All The Time. Buying tapes, finding out more about on the Net, trading fansubs, going to a convention. When I entered high school, I didn't realize there was an "anime club" (which was really just a circle of friends in an open classroom) but I somehow got handed the reigns and with a bit of promotion, got the club to a surprising level of 80 - 90 members. I ruled with an Iron Fist for the next couple of years and then went to University, where I was the "anime guy" amongst the rest of the nerd crowd.

During that time, I tried to start or write for a couple of online anime fanzines and blogs (I wouldn't call them failures, but they went nowhere real fast) and eventually hit upon the Akihabara Renditions Podcast. I kept that up until deciding to start SeishunCon.

My fandom's waxed and waned a bit, I guess with a lot of the '03-'10 catalog not matching my tastes but I have been finding a title here or there that is enjoyable and have been trying to catch up on series here or there that have been set aside. All time favorites include works by Adachi Mitsuru and Takahashi Rumiko, like a fair bit of mecha but typically only real-robot stuff, period pieces and stuff typically from the Bubble Economy (late 70s - early/.mid 90s).

I know a few folks on here already (Dave Merrill and I have done panels together at AWA the past few years) and I know Daishikaze and greg from AnimeNation (hey, it's Suiko Eiji). Looking forward to getting to know everyone else here, too!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: CREATE USER "Drew_Sutton";mk "Intro.txt";POST "Intro.txt

Post by greg »

Drew_Sutton wrote:I know a few folks on here already (Dave Merrill and I have done panels together at AWA the past few years) and I know Daishikaze and greg from AnimeNation (hey, it's Suiko Eiji). Looking forward to getting to know everyone else here, too!
DUDE! HI! I sent you a PM about this forum on AN, but I never got a reply. I also invited Area88, and he said he would join, but I don't know if he has yet. I don't visit AN very much anymore these days, other than to pop on and wish you a happy shared birthday on March 8th. Often we have people join the forum, claim to be excited to be here, and then stop posting after a few days or weeks. I really hope you won't be such a person, since you're one of the few people on AN I like best.

So yeah, welcome!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

CREATE WELCOME USER "Drew_Sutton"! Hey there, welcome to the board! See ya in September!!
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

greg wrote:
Drew_Sutton wrote:I know a few folks on here already (Dave Merrill and I have done panels together at AWA the past few years) and I know Daishikaze and greg from AnimeNation (hey, it's Suiko Eiji). Looking forward to getting to know everyone else here, too!
DUDE! HI! I sent you a PM about this forum on AN, but I never got a reply. I also invited Area88, and he said he would join, but I don't know if he has yet. I don't visit AN very much anymore these days, other than to pop on and wish you a happy shared birthday on March 8th. Often we have people join the forum, claim to be excited to be here, and then stop posting after a few days or weeks. I really hope you won't be such a person, since you're one of the few people on AN I like best.

So yeah, welcome!

Yeah, after I started surfing the forums here, I found your PM. It'd be cool if Area88 showed up, hopefully he'll get the chance. I'm off and on AN still but I'm finding it difficult to contribute like I used to. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute here like I did there.
davemerrill wrote:Hey there, welcome to the board! See ya in September!!
Looking forward to seeing you again, too! Hopefully I'll be able to break away from con promotion to attend some of your panels; if there is anything I like almost as much as hosting a panel with you, it's attending one of yours.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

Hi! I am new to the board, and you will like it here.
***^__^***
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

Welcome to the forum.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Welcome! :D It's always awesome to see more new faces around here!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Welcome welcome~ :)
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
Sgirl
Anime Fan Since: 1995