kndy intro.

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Re: kndy intro.

Post by kndy »

greg wrote:
kndy wrote:Lol...no offense taken regarding the cover. We figured that the cover would attract (or deter) various individuals but we gave her a chance to see how things worked out. For anyone who read the article, I never heard of her at all until I got to the event and people kept asking if I was going to interview her.
Well, if Hanna is actually an intelligent and insightful young woman, then she is not only doing herself a major disservice, but to womanhood in general by putting up those ridiculous videos of her wearing a super-tight tank top, exposing her huge cleavage, introducing poorly pronounced Japanese words and teaching people how to use them in English sentences. The whole Japanese language thing is just an excuse to set her video camera up on a tall tripod looking down her shirt. It'd be more entertaining if she had a brain and would be discussing string theory or something intelligent instead of plucking words from the dictonary of a language she obviously has yet to be proficient in. Case in point: MIZU. She fails to understand that mizu is the word for cold water, and oyu is the word for hot water. Hot water, naturally, is what you'd use to make hot tea. Duhr. It's the blind leading the blind.
I tried to get more from her during the interview but I could tell it wasn't going to happen. Now Mikaera (Cialea), is someone I was familiar with and a channel I like. http://www.youtube.com/user/Ciaela
kndy wrote:I actually agree with what you have to say about the fandom.
As far as bad behavior at cons goes, I think every con has their share of problems. I'm hoping a few friends will join us on this forum from those who created or were in charge of AX, Otakon, Sakura-Con but we'll see.

I've seen and heard of the worse at anime cons to the unusual things that happen after hours. As part of the press and because we are there with GoH, I've seen the worst in guests as well.

But big or small, cons have their problems and the last anime con that I went to, their was a disagreement between a guest of honor and con leadership and for some reason, I'm always end up being the middle man of both sides telling me their woes at anime cons and while most press try to not get involved, I'm usually the type to get them to sit in a room and fix the problem immediately before it gets worse.

One of the biggest things I had to fix was with Japanese guest Momoi Halko who made her US debut at Anime Expo several years ago. Not only was their a mixup on her hotel room, but some staff members that did not know her backstage, treated her as if she was someone insignificant. Needless to say, she posted on her blog that it was the worst experience she ever had at an event and seeing this, her Japanese fans were angry that US would treat her so badly. And her intl. fans, were afraid she would never do an appearance outside of the US ever again.

Fortunately, I interviewed her prior to her appearance at AX and asked her label and management for a statement on her post and it helped smooth things over and calm down the fires. Everything worked out in the end.

But...the craziest thing that I had to pull of was for Anime America 1995 when Megumi Hayashibara was performing in concert. For those familiar with Japanese concerts, especially idol concerts, fans tend to repeat and have fun. But Anime America security wanted no one to stand and wanted people to cheer after the performance. As press, they were strict to everyone including us and I was unable to bring my tablet to write notes or anything, nor bring a camera. I was refused at the door and had to leave my press materials in my hotel room.

This was during the earlier times of anime cons when security were trying to figure things out and I can understand the convention wanting to be strict, but for someone as big as Megumi, I felt it was a disservice to her. So, my press crew took as many anime expo flyers that were given out at the convention. We taped each of the flyer by their sides and we only had a giant marker to write "Ganbatte Kudasai, Megumi!". Because they were AX flyers on the other side, we could roll up the flyers easily and told security when they looked at our hands that it was the flyer being passed outside the venue. So, we they allowed us in.

She kept asking the fans to get into her concert (get up and wave their hands) but it was the first time I saw security squeeze out any excitement from a convention. I could tell that each time she asked for fans to get up and get excited and they didn't, she felt bad. I saw this and I was getting upset and even complaining to friends who worked at anime convention staff about the security plan for this concert was too strict on the audience. Needless to say, We got up, went against security and unrolled the taped sign, stood up and scream "Ganbatte Kudasai, Megumi" and she had a big smile on her face and said thank you!

Afterward, I was told my by my friends at staff that she was not so thrilled by how the concert went and a highlight for her was the group of fans who held a sign out for her during the concert (which was us).

But I've seen it all...good and bad.

My reasons for not going as much is that those old days of going to an anime con for "anime" is not there anymore. The panels for Japanese guests are hardly filled, if there are guests, many put the English dub actors as their "must-see" guests. Even at press conferences, J!-ENT and Anime News Network (or another anime publication) are always the same two groups that are there and it's come down to the point that many are not doing press conferences anymore. This is sad considering that there are all these press attending the event but no one covering or writing. It makes me wonder if all those who submitted for a press badge are cosplay photographers.

I have more to tell, but hopefully some of my friends who are/were anime fans and those who were responsible for these anime cons will be joining the forum and tell their stories. :)
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I know Anime North had Momoi Halko as a guest the year after her Anime Expo experience, and there was a real desire on the part of the staff to make sure she had a good time and that we treated her well. I didn't see her performance but I'm told it went well and she had a good time. Care and feeding of guests is a real art.

Greg, I agree, we should probably have our own conventions topic. Maybe a whole forum, hint hint.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

kndy wrote:I tried to get more from her during the interview but I could tell it wasn't going to happen. Now Mikaera (Cialea), is someone I was familiar with and a channel I like. http://www.youtube.com/user/Ciaela
I could just imagine an interview with her.
Interviewer: "Miss Minx, due to the current administrations policies and actions, we have seen a sharp decline in the value of the dollar to the yen. This has led to a sharp decrease in imports from Japan, and large Japanese companies such as Toyota are now forced to reformulate their business strategy so as to avoid major layoffs and a further decline in the Japanese economy. Can you think of any advantages, if any, for Japan to have a stronger yen, versus the dollar?"
Hannah: "Um, I like dogs. Hey, do you think if I put the camera up higher, my fans could see my rack better?"

:lol:

Cialea, on the other hand, is a clever girl, and she actually knows the language. One of my favorite YouTube personalities, Jet Daisuke, went with her to Canada this winter.
kndy wrote:My reasons for not going as much is that those old days of going to an anime con for "anime" is not there anymore. The panels for Japanese guests are hardly filled, if there are guests, many put the English dub actors as their "must-see" guests.
See, this is why I am so disenfranchised with anime fandom. 15 years ago, I'm sure that the Japanese guests were the main attractions. Nowadays, "fans" don't even seem to care that the stuff comes from Japan or not. Most insist on the shows being dubbed, and there are these idiots who go around pronouncing "kawaii" to sound like "kowai", waving their Pocky sticks around, thinking that they are real connoisseurs of Japanese culture.

By 1999, anime fandom was starting to pick up steam. I lived in Japan from August 2000 to August 2002, and when I came back, I started noticing how annoying fans had become. I'd be looking at the anime DVD selection at Fry's Electronics or Best Buy and I'd have these people trying to start up conversations with me, and I found them to be incredibly annoying. The Narutards had taken over.

Now, when I go to a con and see the cosplayers, I can't even recognize most of the costumes at all.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

davemerrill wrote:Greg, I agree, we should probably have our own conventions topic. Maybe a whole forum, hint hint.
Sounds good to me. This forum is by the fans for the fans, through and through. You guys want something added/changed, have any suggestions/criticisms, feel free to let me know. I'm always happy to hear and am always appreciative of any and all feedback.

I am still working on replying to all the neat introductory posts from our new members, since I would like to give you all more than just a one or two line response. But, I can at least do this now. ^_^
raiderfan99
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by raiderfan99 »

I can agree anime cons have changed and got huge. The first Otakon I went to in 99', you could actually walk around comfortably, the whole convention center was not utilized, there was under 5000 attendants, and the big attraction was seeing yoko kanno. Video programming was great (all subtitled of course), the dealers room sold only anime based merchandise, and while some cosplayers were extravagant, they weren't "stealing the show".

Nowadays, you go to a anime convention and the cosplay subculture has completely taken over. It seems that the vain generation that grew up in the 2000s are more concerned with out-doing the other cosplayers, making fun of them, then the actual fandom behind the convention.

Before I married my wife and I was still living at home in Connecticut, I used to date a girl who was significantly younger than me. She used to like anime but I got her back into it. I brought her to a few Anime Boston conventions and she was more concerned with her costume than any other aspect of it :? I couldn't even go to any panels, the dealers room, etc. because she was more interested in the attention she got from her cosplay.

I find that most of the young convention goers, especially the females, are doing the same. It seems that anime conventions based around the nerd subculture are now turning into a 3 day senior prom where girls make fun of the other one that did not dress as nice as them. Either that, or the lum cosplayer with her clevage hanging out is getting everything but dollar bills thrown at her.

The last Otakon I went to, Otakon 2007, me and my now wife spent more time sightseeing around Baltimore than the actual con because it was stuffy, filled with annoying teenagers, the programming sucked, and the dealers room had little that was unique. Not to mention, my wife isnt really a anime fan. I haven't fully enjoyed a con since Otakon 2002.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

raiderfan99 wrote:I find that most of the young convention goers, especially the females, are doing the same. It seems that anime conventions based around the nerd subculture are now turning into a 3 day senior prom where girls make fun of the other one that did not dress as nice as them. Either that, or the lum cosplayer with her clevage hanging out is getting everything but dollar bills thrown at her.
1. I am surprised anyone at any American anime convention knows who Lum is anymore these days.

2. It's pathetic that some people would make fun of others. Actually, I remember back at the San Diego Comic Con 2000 (or was it 01?) at the Masquerade (the cosplay contest), one girl dressed as Amidala from Episode One. The costume was exquisite and very accurate to the movie (the white dress that was worn at the end of the movie), but the girl was fat. People laughed at her, even though her costume was excellently made. The girl was nearly in tears, and I think it was the shock that held the tears back. I am sure she cried afterwards. People can be so mean. I've never been to an anime con, but I am not surprised that the same thing goes on there as well.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Fresno? No way! That's my back yard. Otaku Generation? I remember them!

Dennis, are you still in the area? Is there anything going on locally that I should know about?