kndy intro.

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

kndy intro.

Post by kndy »

Greetings everyone.

I first discovered anime in the '70s and like many who grew up in the '80s, watched "Voltron", "Robotech" and not knowing it was anime.

But my first true introduction and how I became an anime fan was back in the early '90s, as I bumped into a high school friend at a local magazine shop. I was there to pick up a few comic books and he was there to pick up "Animerica" Issue #0. He told me about anime and although I've heard of Japanese animation, my only memory of anime was what I grew up with when I was younger. But he cajoled me to purchasing the first issue and also to come by his place, because he and his girlfriend were big fans of a recently fan-subtitled series known as "Ranma 1/2".

I watched it and immediately, I was hooked. I wanted more, and this led me to the local anime club "Otaku Generation" which was based in Fresno, California and also were collaborating with the Bay Area's No Name Anime at the time.

Eventually, I became very interested in anime after "Ranma 1/2" and started watching other Rumiko Takahashi anime series, then "Video Girl Ai" and going to the video store and checking out what I could rent such as "Bubblegum Crisis". I was addicted, and next thing you know, I was purchasing a LD player, buying everything from Animeigo, Pioneer, etc.

And in 1993, I created a BBS known as NT2099 which was dedicated to anime and Japanese pop culture.

Through the BBS, I was able to meet many friends from all over the country and because of the BBS at the time, I would write about anime conventions and report about it on the various anime message boards. I first attended my anime con in 1993 as a member of the press and continue to this day, covering anime conventions as a member of the press.

In 1994, because the translators of Otaku Generation were the translators at Anime America, I was able to get my first Japanese interview with Akemi Takada and also be part of the party held for Takada-san and Go Nagai (which you can find on YouTube). This interview would actually inspire me to interview more people from Japan and had no idea, it would become a big part of my life years later.

Although my con reports and anime/manga reviews were pretty much BBS/message board related back then, it led to anime companies contacting me and allowing me to take part in licensing and acquisition for a start-up anime company (which is still around, but unfortunately not sure how much longer). Granted, it was more of giving a list of titles, giving my opinions of why and then this company trying to get the license for North American distribution.

Meanwhile, as the BBS was doing well in the early '90s, I was starting to go online via the Internet and it allowed me to strengthen my network ties with people in the anime industry but also the anime press side. Establish relationships with other people involved in the entertainment industry in Japan and eventually, would work with Byron Kidd who ran Bonsai's J-Pop Page and a few others who helped me bring the nt2099 (which was now known as J!-ENT) to the Internet. This time around, the site would primarily feature Japanese entertainment as a whole.

As for our fandom, me and a few friends would have anime trips to San Jose, San Francisco and Berkeley to fulfill our anime and manga needs (at the same time, we had friends who worked at the UC Irvine store to share some LD's they recently bought and we would join up every month or so to hang out).

While in SF, in Japantown, there was a store who would sell video tapes of recorded TV shows and I would pick them up as they would have anime, sentai and also a music show or variety show and that would peak my interest in not just anime but Japanese pop culture and variety of entertainment, including Japanese dramas.

By 1996, I still watched a lot of anime but because I discovered a Japanese video rental store nearby, I was watching a ton of Japanese shows...anime, variety, drama and writing about it. Also, I was now running the new J-Pop and Japanese drama mailing lists.

Eventually, the reports became popular and caught the attention of several journalists from the Daily Yomiuri and a few Japanese publications as the "American who watches a lot of Japanese television". Lol...

I was then writing for Asian Pacific Review, a college newspaper at California State University, Fresno and in 1997, I became the Editor-in-Chief, I changed the whole format of the newspaper as I was influenced by anime and Japanese magazines.

I also created a new club known as "The Asunaro Club" which was inspired by the anime clubs of the past, but this time, we would all watching anime, music shows, Japanese dramas, etc. and it also encouraged the Japanese students to have English conversation partners and also for all of us try various Japanese food.

But I took advantage of this opportunity to build my relationship with major TV and movie companies. And would feature interviews primarily with Asian celebrities but would also spotlight interviews with anime and J-Pop talent.

By the time I graduated from college in 1999 through 2000, J!-ENT was being featured in various anime-related magazines for our cover of J-Pop and Japanese dramas (not so much anime as there better sites geared to anime coverage) and by then, we were the non-print magazine that were securing a lot of the interviews with J-Pop talent and a lot of artists who were singing the anime theme songs as well.

With the anime companies, it was rather interesting because on one side for America, we were reviewing the anime but in Japan, they were contacting us in hopes we can review the anime in Japan (which they would hope would catch attention to those who license anime in the US).

After a five-year hiatus from anime conventions, I started attending once again in 2001 and surprised to see how anime conventions have changed and the growing popularity of cosplay. It was a one-year project but it received quite a bit of press. But if anything, cosplay from the '90s and cosplay today...it's one thing to say cosplay has exploded and it seems that is what most people go to an anime convention for these days.

In 2002, it was a big step as several of us working hard to bring popular Japanese music artists and bands to the United States and for those who attend anime conventions now and see a major Japanese label band or artist appearing at the event. It all began with all the work that many people put into the New York-Tokyo Music Festival, the first major music festival that would bring the major Japanese music labels from Japan to test things out in the USA. And this would get the ball rolling as anime convention promoters took advantage of this event to create relationships with the Japanese music labels who attended NYTMF, these individuals would later capitalize in bringing major artists to other anime conventions and thus, music becoming a big part of an anime convention.

In 2003, a few of us from J!-ENT's Cosplay Underground started our own mini-anime convention ala a 6 hr. test event known as "ANI-JAM" and decided it would be in the place where I first discovered anime...Fresno, California. A small event but because of my relationship with the anime industry, these companies went all out to make sure that this event was a success. And sure enough, for a one day, 6-hour event, it brought in about 500 people from around the state which surprised the heck out of us. But it was a positive sign that an anime convention would work in that area. And although I am not involved with Ani-Jam any loner, the people running it have made it a full-fledged convention and host a convention every August.

As for J!-ENT, we continued to cover anime conventions all over the country and sometimes events in Japan. We have been fortunate to being one of the few American websites to get exclusives with Japanese artists and also with a few in the anime industry. I would also become a consultant for several events and anime conventions in the US but also in Europe and South America, mainly as a middleman by establishing relationships with the Japanese companies with the event/con promoters.

And along the way... somehow or other, I have received the reputation in Japan as the "ongaku otaku from the United States" (not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing...lol). Well, I know Danny Choo (who also appeared in later issue) is more otaku, but I guess...I'm with good company. I guess it's maybe better than the "American who watches a lot of Japanese television".

Around 2010, I noticed a change in Japan towards bringing entertainment in the United States. Their focus became more towards Europe and Asia and as I saw the loss of support towards the US from Japan on the musical end, I also noticed the anime industry going through major changes which is still ongoing today.

But in 18-years-later, J!-ENT has changed a lot. I am no longer the young 20-year-old who would attend many anime club meetings or conventions. In fact, I have our staff covering those events for me, while I attend them once in awhile.

The excitement I had for anime conventions...the fun I had back in the '90s...those days are gone. Anime conventions have changed so much...it seems to be less about the anime these days. And they are so darn crowded. I went to Anime Expo last year, and it was my first time I have been there since 2000 and prior to that was in the early '90s.

Back then, I can easily count the number of cosplayers on my fingers.

But once in a blue moon, I do cover a smaller event and meet people who have never been to an anime convention and at these smaller locations, I love to cover them because I see that excitement in their eyes. It's like that same positive vibe I had back in the '90s. Although these cons are much smaller than AX or other mid-size anime cons, these people don't care. They are having fun! And anime still has its part with these events, granted all anime cons are more driven towards cosplay it seems but these cosplayers are also different...more patient and have good manners. No overcrowding either, which was great!

And as for anime and manga....since 1993 to now, I'm still reviewing anime and manga, still watching it, reading it and while many of my friends (including my wife who used to come to anime conventions and club meetings with me) have completely stopped, I haven't.

Overall, I'm just grateful to have been part of something so amazing and to see it grow, but also to meet and grow with fantastic people, friends from all over the globe. Anime not only had a big impact on my life and career but I got so much out of it. And to this day, even though J!-ENT covers mostly entertainment and pop culture worldwide, we still include anime and manga coverage. I've supported the industry and my love for anime/manga for nearly 20-years, I think I can continue doing it for another 20-or-more.

Anyway, it's very early in the morning and I need to get some sleep but I thank Daniel for inviting me to the Aging Otaku Lounge and I look forward to corresponding with many of you.

Thanks for reading!

- From a 40-year-old aging fan! :)
Last edited by kndy on Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: kndy intro.

Post by greg »

Great! I love reminiscing about the BBS glory days. Was NT2099 on the Fidonet Anime Echo, or eventually AnimeNet? Did you eventually have Telnet access?

I've actually heard of J-ENT magazine. I think I may have actually bought an issue once upon a time, but I cannot remember. I did have a subscription to Pop J Neo and I received an issue or two, and then it went under and I was never given a refund.

But putting Hannah Minx on the cover of the magazine... ugh. She's a total hack, and her videos are embarrassing. I'm sure you can't comment on that, but to me, she embodies all that is annoying with weeaboos who think they know something about Japan, but really don't know crap.

Anyhow, you have quite an impressive background! I'm just some grumpy 35 year old guy who likes to talk about anime, but is sick of being trolled by moronic 20 year olds who offer such intelligent, insightful comments such as, "Japan, WTF? LOL!"

I only wish I could have attended AX back in the beginning days. Akemi Takada, Haruhiko Mikimoto, Kenichi Sonoda... amazing. The closest I ever got to such a thing was the 2000 San Diego Comic Con with Rumiko Takahashi and Monkey Punch. (Or maybe Monkey Punch was the next year in 2001. Can't remember, too lazy to check.) I've attended the San Diego Comic Con several times (99, 00, 01, and 07) and more recently, the Phoenix Comic Con for the past two years (I'm from Phoenix). I've always avoided the anime crowd because they are so annoying. My friend, whom I have told about this forum and likes it, but he's just too busy to become a member of, attended AX from 97 to 07, 11 years straight. He definitely saw the level of attendees degrade and become so very annoying. With my limited interaction with these people, attending a few anime panels at the Phoenix Con with that same friend, I saw how immature, loud-mouthed, and outrageously annoying anime fans are, with constantly interrupting the panelists and trying to appear more knowledgeable about the subject matter than everyone else. He said that it's the main reason he no longer goes to AX. Number two would be that nobody there knows what stuff like Macross is, and number three is probably that he doesn't want to get mugged and/or killed outside of AX's current venue, the Staples Convention Center in the bad part of Los Angeles.

If only there was a time machine, then I could go back in time and get an autograph from Takada or Mikimoto. But I bet if somebody ever did invent a time machine, it probably wouldn't be that great. It would probably be controlled via a hand crank like the Snoopy Snow Cone Machine, and you'd probably have to wait around for a later model that would support Adobe Flash or something.

Thanks for the great pics too. It was great seeing your LD collection. Do you have any pics of your import LDs?

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

I know my wife would be amazed by that Akemi Takada autograph. Your success with J-Ent! is making me regret not working harder on my Japanese in college! Stay in school kids!
kndy

Post by kndy »

greg wrote:Great! I love reminiscing about the BBS glory days. Was NT2099 on the Fidonet Anime Echo, or eventually AnimeNet? Did you eventually have Telnet access?

I've actually heard of J-ENT magazine. I think I may have actually bought an issue once upon a time, but I cannot remember. I did have a subscription to Pop J Neo and I received an issue or two, and then it went under and I was never given a refund.

But putting Hannah Minx on the cover of the magazine... ugh. She's a total hack, and her videos are embarrassing. I'm sure you can't comment on that, but to me, she embodies all that is annoying with weeaboos who think they know something about Japan, but really don't know crap.

Anyhow, you have quite an impressive background! I'm just some grumpy 35 year old guy who likes to talk about anime, but is sick of being trolled by moronic 20 year olds who offer such intelligent, insightful comments such as, "Japan, WTF? LOL!"

I only wish I could have attended AX back in the beginning days. Akemi Takada, Haruhiko Mikimoto, Kenichi Sonoda... amazing. The closest I ever got to such a thing was the 2000 San Diego Comic Con with Rumiko Takahashi and Monkey Punch. (Or maybe Monkey Punch was the next year in 2001. Can't remember, too lazy to check.) I've attended the San Diego Comic Con several times (99, 00, 01, and 07) and more recently, the Phoenix Comic Con for the past two years (I'm from Phoenix). I've always avoided the anime crowd because they are so annoying. My friend, whom I have told about this forum and likes it, but he's just too busy to become a member of, attended AX from 97 to 07, 11 years straight. He definitely saw the level of attendees degrade and become so very annoying. With my limited interaction with these people, attending a few anime panels at the Phoenix Con with that same friend, I saw how immature, loud-mouthed, and outrageously annoying anime fans are, with constantly interrupting the panelists and trying to appear more knowledgeable about the subject matter than everyone else. He said that it's the main reason he no longer goes to AX. Number two would be that nobody there knows what stuff like Macross is, and number three is probably that he doesn't want to get mugged and/or killed outside of AX's current venue, the Staples Convention Center in the bad part of Los Angeles.

If only there was a time machine, then I could go back in time and get an autograph from Takada or Mikimoto. But I bet if somebody ever did invent a time machine, it probably wouldn't be that great. It would probably be controlled via a hand crank like the Snoopy Snow Cone Machine, and you'd probably have to wait around for a later model that would support Adobe Flash or something.

Thanks for the great pics too. It was great seeing your LD collection. Do you have any pics of your import LDs?

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum!
Greetings Greg and Dave,

Lol...no offense taken regarding the cover. We figured that the cover would attract (or deter) various individuals but we gave her a chance to see how things worked out. For anyone who read the article, I never heard of her at all until I got to the event and people kept asking if I was going to interview her.

I actually agree with what you have to say about the fandom. But a lot of the discussion I have with anime con staff who have been doing it since the '90s, there is a consensus that they have grown up to the point where they have nothing in common with the fans but the reason why they stick around is for the leadership and no one stepping up to handle a big operation. But also, a lot of them stopped watching anime and had to refocus their lives on building a family which they have delayed because of their commitment to their conventions.

As for AX....umm...no comment.

My biggest regret was not getting an autograph with Monkey Punch. Reason being, he was always appearing at California anime cons every year and I figured, I would focus on others. Lo and behold, I was wrong...after that year, he rarely came back to the U.S. Argh!

As for the anime LD, I've actually sold off a lot of them. Back in 1999 or so, there were a few I knew who wanted to get into fan subbing using LD and an old genlock and with DVD becoming popular, I figured that I would upgrade certain titles. But unfortunately, it was also a wrong call as certain "Ranma 1/2" specials and other anime specials that I had on LD, never was released on DVD yet. And now that we are on Blu-ray... I don't really know what's going to happen and how much longer we will get releases as companies are shifting more towards digital distribution, especially to cut costs.

As for the BBS, we were on Fido if I recall, VBBS and I did use telnet but by the time I upgraded to Wildcat, I started to focus on the Internet as it was much more convenient and no longer had to pay for phone lines and having them busy all the time. That's one thing I don't miss about the BBS days...hour just download a 4MB file.
Last edited by kndy on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kndy

Post by kndy »

davemerrill wrote:I know my wife would be amazed by that Akemi Takada autograph. Your success with J-Ent! is making me regret not working harder on my Japanese in college! Stay in school kids!
Well, don't feel bad. The less I use Japanese and the more I learn other languages...things become a bit more confusing now. Lol...

Here are a few videos of older anime industry people, that some may recognize:

Ryo Horikawa, voice of Vegita of "Dragon Ball Z":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjuXNZ0TYGk

Here is an older video from Anime America, a party held for Go Nagai and Akemi Takada:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MmcBLCoYT4

A video when cosplayers were only a dozen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Y5cgvJ ... re=related
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Hi Dennis, and welcome!

I'm super busy at the moment, but I'll try my best to give a more proper response here as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I just wanted to say thanks for joining us and to express my appreciation for your presence here. I am really glad that you're with us...!

Welcome! Please make yourself at home!
Daniel
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

kndy wrote: I actually agree with what you have to say about the fandom. But a lot of the discussion I have with anime con staff who have been doing it since the '90s, there is a consensus that they have grown up to the point where they have nothing in common with the fans but the reason why they stick around is for the leadership and no one stepping up to handle a big operation. But also, a lot of them stopped watching anime and had to refocus their lives on building a family which they have delayed because of their commitment to their conventions.

It's true a lot of the older anime con organizers are enjoying the social and organizational aspects of running conventions more than the actual cartoons themselves. Part of why I stepped down from AWA in 2003 - well, apart from moving - was that my interest in newer series simply isn't there, and I'd rather be able to focus my time on the shows that engage me. I'm still on staff, but one of the benefits of concurrent waves of fandom is that there are whole new generations stepping up to run things, and I can focus on panels about creaky old 70s shows and ignore the things I'm not interested in.

As far as bad fan behavior at conventions goes, a large part of the blame can be laid on the convention staff and organizers for not laying down ground rules, or not enforcing the rules already in place. In the mid 2000s Japanese animation became a youth-culture entertainment phenomenon and the conventions saw a big influx of new attendees who had never attended a con before and didn't know what behavior was expected of them. I can't blame teenagers away from Mom & Dad for misbehaving, I did plenty of it myself when I was a teenager going to cons. It took AWA a few years to realize that behavioral guidelines needed to be stressed early and often, through program books, the website, signs, handouts, announcements, whichever. Now the show is larger but calmer, and largely self-policing - I'll see one 14 year old start to act up and her friends will immediately say "Hey, stop that, you want to get us kicked out?"

Every anime con is different, Otakon puts on a startlingly orderly show, considering its size, that is still fun. The last Anime Centrals I attended were kind of crazy in a not-good 'underage drinking' sort of way. Anime North is polite but enthusiastic. I haven't been to Anime Expo since, I dunno, 1994? 1995? but Anime Los Angeles is shockingly friendly and well behaved. My last A-Kon was 1999- it was getting a little rough around the edges then and I don't know that things have changed.

As far as the behavior of fandom in general, I've met 14 year olds who were polite and friendly and 40 year olds who were screaming weeaboo nightmares. Age is no barrier to idiocy.
greg

Post by greg »

kndy wrote:Lol...no offense taken regarding the cover. We figured that the cover would attract (or deter) various individuals but we gave her a chance to see how things worked out. For anyone who read the article, I never heard of her at all until I got to the event and people kept asking if I was going to interview her.
Well, if Hanna is actually an intelligent and insightful young woman, then she is not only doing herself a major disservice, but to womanhood in general by putting up those ridiculous videos of her wearing a super-tight tank top, exposing her huge cleavage, introducing poorly pronounced Japanese words and teaching people how to use them in English sentences. The whole Japanese language thing is just an excuse to set her video camera up on a tall tripod looking down her shirt. It'd be more entertaining if she had a brain and would be discussing string theory or something intelligent instead of plucking words from the dictonary of a language she obviously has yet to be proficient in. Case in point: MIZU. She fails to understand that mizu is the word for cold water, and oyu is the word for hot water. Hot water, naturally, is what you'd use to make hot tea. Duhr. It's the blind leading the blind.
kndy wrote:I actually agree with what you have to say about the fandom.
As I said in the comments for one of this forum's videos on Youtube, anime was so much more fun before it became mainstream, like discovering a beautiful secret place that nobody knows about. Then later a bunch of Pocky-eating retarded kids come along, pretending to be Japanese and acting like imbeciles. You know, just like SNL weeaboo skit. (I assume the link still works. It redirects me now that I live in Japan.)
davemerrill wrote:As far as bad fan behavior at conventions goes, a large part of the blame can be laid on the convention staff and organizers for not laying down ground rules, or not enforcing the rules already in place. In the mid 2000s Japanese animation became a youth-culture entertainment phenomenon and the conventions saw a big influx of new attendees who had never attended a con before and didn't know what behavior was expected of them.
Well, I can only speak of my experience at non-anime conventions that have a variety of both American and Japanese comics. The worst panels at the Phoenix Comicon last year were the anime panels. I was really disappointed with not only how unprofessional and uncoordinated (and downright annoying) those panels were, but I was shocked with how obnoxious, loud, and rude the anime fan crowd was. I mean, going from the Star Trek panel to a panel on Japanese Internet memes was like going to sit at the kid's table. Many in the audience, especially this one annoying girl behind us, kept talking and chiming in and trying to outdo each other as to who was really knowledgeable about the subject matters. I felt like telling that girl behind us to either shut up, get on the stage, or get out of the room. It was one facepalm after another. My friend Lou was with me, the one who had gone to Anime Expo for eleven years straight, said that AX was more of the same. It just got worse and worse each year. It didn't use to be so bad, he said, but once anime's popularity exploded and all these English dub-only crowd took over, it got more and more annoying. The annoying anime fans and the lack of decent panel content reinforced the fact that I do not want to ever go to an anime convention. I remember looking at the ads for the first few years of Anime Expo, when special guests were Kenichi Sonoda, Haruhiko Mikimoto, Akemi Takeda, and Mari Iijima, I really wanted to go. But now it's mostly just English voice actors and those who work in the domestic anime video industry. To me, that's just not the same.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
davemerrill

Post by davemerrill »

Greg, I can only say I think you're going to the wrong conventions. ;)
greg

Post by greg »

davemerrill wrote:Greg, I can only say I think you're going to the wrong conventions. ;)
Well, wrong for anime stuff, I'd give you that. Like I said, since I'm not interested in modern anime, going to an anime convention means little to me because the love for the classics just isn't there. However here in Japan, I've had my 12 year old students telling me all about their love for City Hunter, Z Gundam, Lupin, Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, Yamato, etc. Go to a modern-day anime convention in the USA and the bulk of the attendees don't know anything older than Evangelion.

As for the SDCC and PHXCC, they were great fun in their own ways, because I'm more interested in programming for American comics, science fiction, fantasy, etc. Here's a vid I made of last year's PHXCC and it was super fun. Leonard Nimoy, George Takei, Bruce Boxleitner, Ernie Hudson, Stan Lee, Billy Dee Williams, Wil Wheaton, and many more. This year will have Wil Shatner, Gil Gerard, and Erin Grey. I love the old Buck Rogers show, so I'll be sad to miss that one. On the other hand, I can care less who did the English voice acting for the main character in Full Metal Alchemist because I don't even care about the show.

Anyhow, I don't mean to detract too much, since this convention discussion probably deserves its own topic.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page