Hello from Japan

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
User avatar
Kei
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 11:08 am
Anime Fan Since: Fill me in!

Hello from Japan

Post by Kei »

Real First Name: Kei
Gender: Male
Anime Fan Since: The early '90s
Favorite anime: Dragon Ball, Doraemon, Akira, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon, Ghost in the Shell, and Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer
Favorite Tokusatsu: Godzilla and all the Toho tokusatsu movies


Hi, I'm Kei who was born and am living in Japan. Maybe I'm the first Japanese member here. Though I think that I'm not really old enough to be a member of this forum, collecting recordings of old TV broadcasts has been my most important hobby for years.

My VCRs that I use to digitize and remaster old recordings:
Image


Ask me about anything related to Japan. I'm looking forward to sharing information about old TV stuff with the members here!

User avatar
Anime-Kyo-Uk
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:39 am
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Re: Hello from Japan

Post by Anime-Kyo-Uk »

Welcome Kei,
Wow you have a W1, I was lucky back in the 90's to know 1 or 2 fans in the UK that had a W1 and they did conversions to pal from NTSC, and LD to pal VHS too! So glad to see you on-board :-)
You must have some collection by now?

User avatar
usamimi
Posts: 2599
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1987
Location: The Lonestar State
Contact:

Re: Hello from Japan

Post by usamimi »

Welcome! It's always great to see new faces! :D We actually have a few members that are in Japan, too, I wonder if you're anywhere near them?
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*

User avatar
greg
Posts: 2159
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)
Location: Shizuoka-ken, Japan
Contact:

Re: Hello from Japan

Post by greg »

Hi! I live in Fuji City. Someday I will die either from Mt. Fuji erupting or from a giant tsunami. The news says that we are doomed here, so every day is an exciting adventure. :lol:

Actually, new houses are being built here all the time, so plenty of people choose not to listen to the news and live in fear. On some days, the air can stink from the paper mills, but I mostly enjoy life here. Big cities are not far away, and beautiful nature is close, too. I can see Mt. Fuji when I leave my apartment in the morning. Right now, the clouds are wrapped around Mt. Fuji like a hand holding the mountain.

There are several other members living in Japan. What part of the country do you live in?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page

User avatar
Animusubi
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1989
Location: Planet Shining
Contact:

Re: Hello from Japan

Post by Animusubi »

Welcome to the forum, Kei! Visiting Japan is still on my near future to-do list. There are quite a few members here who live in Japan. :)
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram

User avatar
Kei
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 11:08 am
Anime Fan Since: Fill me in!

Re: Hello from Japan

Post by Kei »

Anime-Kyo-Uk wrote:Welcome Kei,
Wow you have a W1, I was lucky back in the 90's to know 1 or 2 fans in the UK that had a W1 and they did conversions to pal from NTSC, and LD to pal VHS too! So glad to see you on-board :-)
You must have some collection by now?
W1 helped me watch PAL videotapes before, but now I've got a PAL compatible capture device and I'm looking for a better PAL VCR. W1 isn't great if you don't use conversions at all. Speaking of my collection, most of the actual tapes and discs are stored at my brother's house and I only have digitized videos on my PC, but I've got quite a few rare videos from old recordings and Laserdiscs.

Image

greg wrote:There are several other members living in Japan. What part of the country do you live in?
usamimi wrote:Welcome! It's always great to see new faces! :D We actually have a few members that are in Japan, too, I wonder if you're anywhere near them?
I live in Gunma and commute to a university in Tokyo by shinkansen.

greg wrote:Hi! I live in Fuji City. Someday I will die either from Mt. Fuji erupting or from a giant tsunami. The news says that we are doomed here, so every day is an exciting adventure. :lol:

Actually, new houses are being built here all the time, so plenty of people choose not to listen to the news and live in fear. On some days, the air can stink from the paper mills, but I mostly enjoy life here. Big cities are not far away, and beautiful nature is close, too. I can see Mt. Fuji when I leave my apartment in the morning. Right now, the clouds are wrapped around Mt. Fuji like a hand holding the mountain.
I've never been to Shizuoka, but as a Japanese, I think that I have to go to Mt. Fuji before I die. I hope it won't erupt and change shape before my visit. :lol:

ryoran wrote:Welcome to the forum, Kei! Visiting Japan is still on my near future to-do list. There are quite a few members here who live in Japan. :)
I'm not good at speaking English, but maybe I'll be able to guide you in Tokyo.

davemerrill
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:38 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1984
Location: the YYZ
Contact:

Re: Hello from Japan

Post by davemerrill »

Hello Kei! Welcome to the board. Those are some sweet SVHS decks there!

My wife and I have only been to Japan twice, but we loved visiting and hope to return someday.

User avatar
Kame-Sen'nin
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 am
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: Hello from Japan

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Welcome to the board Kei! I love those SVHS decks you have, and am absolutely blown away by that screen capture of Daicon Film! ;)

User avatar
Heibi
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:37 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1976
Location: Kansas
Contact:

Re: Hello from Japan

Post by Heibi »

Welcome to the lounge, Kei. I'll be in Tokyo on Wednesday. I'll be running around the area for about a week with a friend of mine.

SteveH
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:30 am
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)
Location: Michigan and the Sea of Stars
Contact:

Re: Hello from Japan

Post by SteveH »

Welcome, Kei!

Never be concerned about asking questions if something is not understood. Take comfort that your English is much better than the knowledge of Japanese everyone else here has. :)

I echo Dave's statement, those S-VHS decks are 100% awesome!

Post Reply