Hi. Ryan Gavigan checking in

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
gavv
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Hi. Ryan Gavigan checking in

Post by gavv »

Hi, nice place ya got here.

I was introduced to anime unknowingly by way of Battle of the Planets in 79/80, and was further indoctrinated by Voltron but especially Robotech, which led to many days of missing the bus to school (or almost) trying to catch the last few minutes of the 6:30am airtime.

I realized where these all came from after reading the Robotech Art books, but wasn't introduced to 'original' anime until I went to Purdue in 1989. a few of us met 'that guy' in the science fiction club who always carried around a few VHS tapes with him, and watching Dirty Pair OVA 1 and Macross: DYRL in the basement library of the student center that day, I was hooked. Within a few weeks, I and a couple others founded the Purdue Animation Club, and I also discovered the amazing wonders of Usenet and r.a.a.

Through starting PAC and involvement on r.a.a., got the first flyer for the 'upcoming' AnimeCon '91, which led to a decidedly un-epic 40 hour minivan road trip to my first anime con. Show itself was decidedly very-epic to me. After the amazing panels, jaw-dropping dealers room (General Products blowout sale was mythical), room parties and anime on film, I was probably a lifer by then.

After purdue days, was a user on the infamous venice.mps.ohio-state.edu site, run by the kind admin to all the poor college fans who lost accounts, marijan adam.

Wrote a handful of reviews for early Animerica and Manga Newswatch, my only official anime contributions in the written word put down on actual paper. Except for the early homemade anime card game Anime War.

Also through r.a.a. and irc chat legendary channel #anime! , met fans from all over including a large cadre in Chicago that would ultimately form the core of Anime Central. (including one of the most legendary presences in all of anime fandom lore, E. Conty :). Ended up chair or co-chair of ACen from 2000-03.

Also a collector of many items of random detritus of early anime fandom, including fanzines, convention newsletters, convention room party flyers (many of Carl Horn's are amazing), etc.

Random Factoid: Got mis-identified as Ryan Mathews in a picture in Animerica issue. At the time it seemed on the internet we were 'the two anime Ryans'.

Ryan Gavigan
gavv
Gaver-san (pretentious early 20s r.a.a. handle)
Gaver-sensei (even more pretentious early 20s r.a.a. handle)

Still hosting friday night anime shows at my house, been a regular since 1999. Keeps the anime chops fresh
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Re: Hi. Ryan Gavigan checking in

Post by Daniel »

Hey, Ryan!

I'm so glad that you decided to join up. Welcome, welcome...!
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

Welcome aboard Ryan. Your reference of the OSU site reminds me of the Anime Web Turnpike, which I think was mentioned a ways back on here, but was a great online hub back in the day. In some ways, it's too bad that Google made repositories like that obsolete.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Hey Ryan! I will see you at the Atlanta airport in a day or so!
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

RYAN! RRRRYYYY ANNN! Dude. :)

Enjoy the show!
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Welcome to the forum Ryan, great to have you here!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing your name in Animerica magazine. Welcome!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

Hi Ryan! Robotech was the first anime that I watched regularly. Most of the anime I collected was from the 90's. Oh! By the way, welcome! We will talk more later.
***^__^***
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Welcome, Ryan! Great to have another new face! :mrgreen:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

Those shows in the dorm attic where a crowd of guys watch Maison Ikkoku were kinda strange, Ryan ;)

LAB