Well hello

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Andrue
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Well hello

Post by Andrue »

Hi,
I feel relieved to know that there is a forum dedicated to all of this. I am fairly young, but I grew up in a house full of total geeks who collected everything related to comics, sci-fi, anime and all that good stuff. As a kid, I was shown all sorts of japanese media, tokusatsu, kaiju films, and of course, a lot of anime. I was fortunate enough to have developed a deep seated passion for anime by the time I could read, and I have spent much of my adult life recollecting what I grew up with as a kid. When I got older and into school, I started swapping and borrowing tapes, comics and magazines from friends and people in the neighborhood. I amassed a giant collection of tapes and books from the 80's and 90's, and although I spent a while not involved in anime, I have jumped right back where I left off years ago.
I honestly don't really know much about new anime. Many of the fans of anime that I encounter don't have a clue about any of the anime that I like and have in my collection, and vice versa. I am happy to know there are people who don't scratch their head when I mention something like Lensman, Garaga or Yotoden, or even more well known things like Slayers or Urusei Yastura. I got a computer for the first time in years as of 3 days ago, so I am excited to be able to communicate with all of you!
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Re: Well hello

Post by danth »

Hey dude! Welcome! I'm sure you will fit right in here.

I know what you mean about younger anime fans. It's sad but I feel I have nothing in common with them.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Welcome to the board Andrue!
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Admitting that you haven't owned a computer in years gives you some serious hardcore brownie points on this forum. Kudos to you sir. :)
Andrue

Post by Andrue »

Hahaha I was in school finishing a degree in Clinical Psychiatry, I didn't really have time for the internet or computers, and couldn't afford cable or wifi. I just sat in the library everyday surrounded by scientific journals and went home and watched all the anime tapes that I could fit on my shelf when I got home. Now I still work over 40 hours a week, but I do have the time and the money to invest myself back into all of this stuff. I'll definitely be posting some tapes and older graphic novels from japan as well as some early Viz stuff soon for trade. This place rules!
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

Welcome! I knew in my heart that a site like this had to exist because I knew there were too many of our clique had to be somewhere. I just kept looking and i found this site. You will like it here.

I know the money gets really tight sometimes. Yet, keep a laptop or two handy and you will be able to get your anime fix these days. Most of the anime collections I buy are considered hard to find or rare because the anime standards are easy to find. My big thing is anime soundtracks because I am a musician. Yet, you can find any sound track using bit torrent client software. So try to keep a computer now that your have one. A computer can save you a ton of money on anime.
***^__^***
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Post by Heibi »

Welcome aboard.
Andrue

Post by Andrue »

yusaku wrote:Welcome! I knew in my heart that a site like this had to exist because I knew there were too many of our clique had to be somewhere. I just kept looking and i found this site. You will like it here.

I know the money gets really tight sometimes. Yet, keep a laptop or two handy and you will be able to get your anime fix these days. Most of the anime collections I buy are considered hard to find or rare because the anime standards are easy to find. My big thing is anime soundtracks because I am a musician. Yet, you can find any sound track using bit torrent client software. So try to keep a computer now that your have one. A computer can save you a ton of money on anime.
Well of course! I instantly found the entirety of Urusei Yatsura, and all the old Black Jack OAV's, as well as some other ones I haven't ever found on video that I had on my old computer like Otaku no video. I always went to thrift stores to get tapes when I could, I feel like I've bought all the anime out of every thrift store in my area hahaha.
Captainbubby
Anime Fan Since: 1990 (conciously)

Post by Captainbubby »

The more the merrier!
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Andrue wrote:Hahaha I was in school finishing a degree in Clinical Psychiatry, I didn't really have time for the internet or computers, and couldn't afford cable or wifi. I just sat in the library everyday surrounded by scientific journals and went home and watched all the anime tapes that I could fit on my shelf when I got home. Now I still work over 40 hours a week, but I do have the time and the money to invest myself back into all of this stuff. I'll definitely be posting some tapes and older graphic novels from japan as well as some early Viz stuff soon for trade. This place rules!
I've always had a computer, even a crappy one, so that I could do papers and keep tweaking my resume, but I haven't always had internet access due to finances as well. In fact, these days I just go to my condo's internet cafe and use the free internet there. And failing that, I go to the library or sneak in a few personal uses at work.

But I don't depend on the internet like others do. I'd be perfectly fine going a week without using the internet, and social media like Facebook or whatever for me is only a tool to keep my online presence handy if employers want to check my profile (Facebook is really just a personal ad, and I use it with that in mind). I don't really use it much when it comes to dealing with friends and personal life, though, since my network is fairly small. I also don't know how to use a smartphone nor can I afford one (not to mention the various fees that comes with owning one)