Hello Everyone!

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
reiginsei87
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Hello Everyone!

Post by reiginsei87 »

I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I have been back into the anime for the last year after a long hiatus (since 2002ish) and man have a lot of things changed! All the old anime companies (adv, us manga corps, manga, etc) are either gone or a shadow of what they once were. Plus most of the anime review sites I used to read are gone too. It was kind of sad to see all my old favorites no longer there. Now I will say I do like Funimation a lot. I have been really impressed with their pricing and the way most of the shows are complete and not in volumes like I remember most anime being when I used to watch it. Discotek is another company that I really am appreciating. Lots of old classics.
I ran into this site when I was watching the old streamline promo from their old vhs tapes and this forum seems like a perfect fit for me. I grew up with Streamline/Orion anime along with Manga, CPM, and ADV films. I miss anime movies and ova's and it seems tv shows are what comprise most of the anime marketplace. Well this is getting longwinded and I can't wait to talk to you guys. Maybe I've missed some classic anime.
Heibi
Anime Fan Since: 1976

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by Heibi »

Welcome to the Lounge.
reiginsei87

Post by reiginsei87 »

Thank you!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

If anything, it's not long-winded enough! I think I wrote an entire essay for my intro, as well as many others here. We enjoy reading about how others joined the fandom back in the day, finding various experiences we can relate to. The more descriptive, the better. Welcome to the forum!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Ben
Anime Fan Since: Early 90's

Post by Ben »

Well, not to do a shameless plug for my favorite series, but Space Runaway Ideon finally got fansubbed in the mid-2000's while you were away. ;)

Anyway, welcome aboard!
yusaku
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by yusaku »

Welcome. I look forward to reading your posts. I am into classic anime also. The newer stuff is also very, very good. I have Gilgamesh, Niea Under Seven, Utena, Death Note, and several others. Many of the group here have at least of decade of anime fandom under their belt. I have been to a convention and if every thing goes well enough this year I will be attending the convention in Atlanta this year. We have a local convention, but being in customer service I always feel more comfortable going out of town. I digress. Anyway, welcome. Welcome. Welcome. I am sure you will like it here. ^_^
***^__^***
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Welcome! It definitely sounds like you came to the right place! :D
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
reiginsei87

Post by reiginsei87 »

Thanks for the replies. I feel like this is the place I've been searching for. I just don't have anybody to talk to about the older stuff. I'll ask some of my buddies some recommendations and I'll always here the same replies, things like Sword Art Online, One Piece, etc. Nothing underground or forgotten. That's what I'm looking for. I mean don't get me wrong. I've enjoyed some new shows, especially Gantz, Claymore, and Shiki. I like the dark anime. Usually TV-MA stuff. I mean the whole reason I got into anime was because it was like an R-rated action movie, just animated. I think some of that mentality still stands. I still like the violent and mature stuff. I recently just finished Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, which was fantastic. I guess the genre or term? I prefer is Seinen anime. I'm trying to learn these terms and apparently Seinen is mature or meant for older audiences. Texhnolyze is another one I enjoyed that falls into that category I think.
Drew_Sutton

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Welcome to the board! I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I am!
I guess the genre or term? I prefer is Seinen anime. I'm trying to learn these terms and apparently Seinen is mature or meant for older audiences.
Seinen is a marketing demographic, typically meant for late teen to older men. All sorts of stuff gets classified as Seinen like samurai period pieces (something like Vagabond), action-adventure types (Gantz), fighting sports (Tough), racing (Countache), hot-blood-and-guts (Salaryman Kintaro) and ecchi rom/com (My Wife Is a High Schooler/Okusama wa Joushikousei). I cheated and named all sorts of manga and I think only a handful have anime adaptations - but, all of those titles were serialized in the same seinen magazine. It is a really versitile classification.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I also started getting back into anime after a hiatus I took around 2003-2004. Welcome to the forum!
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram