Hi All

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Sentionaut
Anime Fan Since: Early 1990s

Hi All

Post by Sentionaut »

Seems like this is the right place for self introductions. I'm Dave, and quite happy to be here. I've been less of a forum goer in recent years, but this seems to be a smaller, tight knit community and that's a big plus these days, when most places simply feel overwhelming. Before I derail any further, I guess I should get right down to basics. I became interested in Anime in the late 80's-early 90's, and while I try to keep current on the newer seasons, I generally find myself returning to those series that got me hooked in the first place. I'm a big fan of Bubblegum Crisis, and the Gall Force OVAs. Also, Armored Trooper Votoms, Dirty Pair, and Crusher Joe. Maybe a bit of City Hunter now and then. Hmm, seems like mostly sci-fi titles. Ah, I'm also a Ranma 1/2 fan, and uh, 3X3 Eyes?

At any rate, glad to be here, and I'm sure there will be a few things to talk about with all y'all.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Re: Hi All

Post by Animusubi »

Hey there~ Welcome to the forum! Love pretty much all those titles you mentioned and then some! This is a great community, we're glad to have ya!
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
ServantOfPriss
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by ServantOfPriss »

Sentionaut wrote:I'm a big fan of Bubblegum Crisis, and the Gall Force OVAs. Also, Armored Trooper Votoms, Dirty Pair, and Crusher Joe. Hmm, seems like mostly sci-fi titles.
You and I are gonna get along great. From one newbie to another, welcome.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Sentionaut wrote:I'm a big fan of Bubblegum Crisis, and the Gall Force OVAs. Also, Armored Trooper Votoms, Dirty Pair, and Crusher Joe.
NICE. Welcome!

I've been meaning to rewatch Votoms since it has been many years since. Then again, I've been meaning to watch all sorts of stuff this summer, and so far it hasn't happened much!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Sentionaut

Post by Sentionaut »

I appreciate the warm welcome. :)
ServantOfPriss wrote:You and I are gonna get along great. From one newbie to another, welcome.
BGC is certainly one of my favorites, and I'm quite glad I was able to get in on the kickstarter for the Blu-Ray edition that should be out toward the end of September. I think that it is one of the few shows where I have separately purchased each remaster and edition released on Region 1 thus far. But, after all these years, it is the soundtrack that still holds most of my attention, particularly the vocal tracks.
greg wrote:NICE. Welcome!
I've been meaning to rewatch Votoms since it has been many years since. Then again, I've been meaning to watch all sorts of stuff this summer, and so far it hasn't happened much!
I myself need to get around to rewatching the first series. It was one of the few blind buys I've ever made, all because of the Scopedog cover art. I think I bought the CPM releases individually, and then the tin box set when it was later released.
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

Ah yeah, another Kenichi Sonoda fan. Welcome!
Sentionaut

Post by Sentionaut »

danth wrote:Ah yeah, another Kenichi Sonoda fan. Welcome!
Thanks! As much as I enjoy Gall Force and the sci-fi side of things, Sonoda's Gunsmith Cats and everyone's favorite Bandit are all pretty high on my list as well. Tried to get into Cannon God Exaxxion, but never made it past the second volume, probably since that stuff was pretty expensive back in the day. Not that the manga side of things has gotten cheaper as far as imports go.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Welcome! Always good to see more new faces!
Sentionaut wrote:
danth wrote:Ah yeah, another Kenichi Sonoda fan. Welcome!
Thanks! As much as I enjoy Gall Force and the sci-fi side of things, Sonoda's Gunsmith Cats and everyone's favorite Bandit are all pretty high on my list as well. Tried to get into Cannon God Exaxxion, but never made it past the second volume, probably since that stuff was pretty expensive back in the day. Not that the manga side of things has gotten cheaper as far as imports go.
I never got into Exaxxion, either. Of course, it doesn't help that Dark Horse just abruptly stopped publishing it and never really explained why. :?
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Dark Horse had also censored the last Exaxxion GN they had released. I am not sure what exactly was censored, though. I talked with a Dark Horse rep at the '07 SDCC, and he said that they had shelved that title and were planning to re-release it in a non-mirrored format at a later time. That never happened, obviously. :(
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Sentionaut

Post by Sentionaut »

greg wrote:Dark Horse had also censored the last Exaxxion GN they had released. I am not sure what exactly was censored, though. I talked with a Dark Horse rep at the '07 SDCC, and he said that they had shelved that title and were planning to re-release it in a non-mirrored format at a later time. That never happened, obviously. :(
IIRC, there was some nudity of the topless variety in the early volumes, which was censored. That aside, the price point was on the higher end for single volumes, and I just don't think anyone was buying it when it came out due to the glut of other more fashionable titles of the early to mid 2000s.