Hiya!

Tell the old school world who you are, and let us welcome you into the forum!
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Hiya!

Post by Akage »

Greetings from San Francisco! Yes, there's another pesky Californian here. :D

I've been an anime fan since childhood. The first show I watched was Superbook, although it wasn't something that registered with me as being anime when I first viewed it. I've always liked art, but other than the occasional solid US Disney movie or Warner Brother series (Animaniacs!), I became very disillusioned with the current state of hand drawn animation in the US. Sailor Moon was what really hooked me into the fandom back in the 1990s. At the time, there wasn't much anime available and my parents refused to use those AOL internet discs we'd often received, so I spent many Sundays while in high school either staying up late to watch dubbed episodes of Tenchi Muyo on PBS affiliate, KTEH, or heading into Chinatown to buy nth copy Sailor Moon Cantonese dub VHS tapes. I can still recall my utter disbelief upon discovering there was a Sailor Uranus, Neptune and Pluto during a viewing of the SuperS movie.

Good times.

My love for artwork translated into wanting to own a part of that...which spiraled into the current collection I have. A good portion of my collection can be viewed online - http://cutiebunny.rubberslug.com

I attend several anime conventions throughout the US every year and have done so for several years. It's a unique way to see the country. I've met a lot of nice people, both attendees and conventions guests, and met a lot of really mean ones too. I'm sad to see the larger ones becoming so industry-driven that they're more of a LineCon than anything else. When you're standing in line at 4 am on multiple days just to secure autograph tickets at Anime Expo, that's about when you start questioning whether or not AX is for you.

Anyways, it's nice to meet you all and if you also attend conventions in the US, let me know :D
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: Hiya!

Post by greg »

Welcome! I used to watch Superbook and Flying House in Sunday school when I was a kid. Too bad those characters weren't in the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom game on the Wii, because it'd be great to beat the crap out of Ken and Ryu with that little robot from Flying House. ;) (Come to think of it, Speed Racer wasn't in that game, either...)

I looked at your profile and saw that you collect cels. That's neat! I was just looking at cels a few months ago at the Mandarake cel store in the Nakano Broadway Building in Tokyo. I saw a nice-looking Devil Hunter Yohko one, but so far I have refrained from venturing into that aspect of the hobby.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Welcome! I'm glad to have you here!

Your website is neat. :) We have a full section of the forum devoted to letting members discuss/promote what they're working on outside of the board, and of course you're welcome to post there as well!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

I have a couple of friends who where also introduced to anime via Superbook & Flying House, so you're definitely not alone! :lol: Welcome!

Quite a nice collection you have, very impressive!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Hi. California, eh? I hear there's some station around that area airing the old anime, "Gutsy Frog". Are you around that area.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Welcome to the forum, Akage! I took a quick gander at your cel collection, and fell in love with the original artwork you have from various creators! O: Super jealous, but I loved looking through them! You have a wonderful collection!
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Welcome to the forum! You really have a great collection, thanks for sharing!