My Animage 1984 Special: letters & fanart from the US & Canada

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: My Animage 1984 Special: letters & fanart from the US & Canada

Post by _D_ »

There are very large document scanners used by libraries and printing houses. They are useful for doing things like maps. But good digital cameras can be used as well with a good stand. Do a check for using digital cameras as scanners and see what comes up. I'm still looking at a good flatbed scanner for regular scans and the HP will work for that. A wide scanner would be good for mags like NewType but most wides aren't that great unless you are looking at semi or pro units. the costs really ramp up though you might get a good deal on a used one from eBay. I'm looking into things like that all the time. I'll make a note on My Anime issues and pull out the ones I have and get back to you...
_D_

Post by _D_ »

Dunno about the final issue of the magazine but it appears that the final issue of the bi-weekly version was Issue #5 1986 (March 5th). Then it seems to go on hiatus for a month (unless I am missing an issue) and returns at a higher price (480 Yen vs. 330 Yen previously) in May (says 5th month issue). I have issues til the 7th month after which time I don't have anymore issues. That may well have been the final issue as my bud in Japan was pretty meticulous about sending these things to me every month and seldom missed any after about 1983 or 84...
_D_

Post by _D_ »

SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Thank you!

Well, I see one change right away (not remembered from my stack of mags, too many in storage), going to English for the title as opposed to Katakana.

Just to be clear, it stayed bi-weekly (twice a month) until the (assumed) end of July 1986? Or did it shift back to monthly with the price increase?

I REALLY wish there was someone in Japan who paid attention to these things and tracked them. 1985 seemed to be a turbulent time in anime publishing. The Anime snagged what was assumed to be a key Zeta Gundam license (The Zeta 'anime comics') then promptly died. Newtype magazine came out with their larger, super glossy format. Animedia started a sister publication Anime V (dedicated mainly to OAVs but I think it also covered developments in the growing home video world) which SEEMS to have been the trigger for My Anime to go bi-weekly.

argh. :)
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

_D_, those stacks of old magazines are making me drool. So awesome!
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

davemerrill wrote:_D_, those stacks of old magazines are making me drool. So awesome!
Seconded, of course. Such beautiful art, so many original paintings. I recall getting that thick, huge bubble envelop from Books Nippan every month and just being lost paging thru the mags.
_D_

Post by _D_ »

This stack is nothing. I wish I could display more. I did do 100 covers some time ago that I can give you a link to as I put them up on my cloud drive. I had most of the mags from about 1980 - 2000 sent every month. Sadly, most of the weekly manga got damaged so I lost a lot of things like the first publications of Dragonball but I kept all the magazines in pretty good condition. I guess it would be hard to find big collections like this outside of Japan. I originally wanted to glean things like photos and interviews from them but it's a huge task and many fansites for individual artists and series have already done that and translated the dialogue to boot. But I still have lots of stuff to sift through over the winter months. Getting the scanning done on the Chirashi and movie/TV/videogame handouts will be my priority for the present. I'll have to work on things like videos at a later date...