Sci-Fi Buzz Segment from Anime Expo 1996

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Guyver I
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Sci-Fi Buzz Segment from Anime Expo 1996

Post by Guyver I »

I found this not too long ago while researching some fandom history - does anyone else remember watching this show? It was a great program, both the news segments but also the occasional commentary by Harlan Ellison.

Great footage of what anime conventions looked, and really felt like, in the late 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3VIsl64eeY
Nathan Vernon Madison

http://www.pulpmags.org
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Sci-Fi Buzz Segment from Anime Expo 1996

Post by DKop »

Thats pretty cool to see Ishiguro so young, and 16 or so years before his death, really makes you think. :?
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

I wonder if the old otaku in the button-blazoned vest is still alive. He attended just about every con I went to back in the 90's.
/missed some guests at AX96
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Very cool video! I love seeing footage of these old conventions.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:Very cool video! I love seeing footage of these old conventions.
Same!! This is great. Thank you so much for sharing!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Akage

Post by Akage »

I had a good laugh when the announcer said that over 3000 people had come from all over to attend AX 1996. 3000 people. That's like, a drop in the bucket, considering AX's 100K+ attendance.

It was nice seeing a video from a time when AX was less corporately driven. Hard to imagine that there was a time in AX's history where it was more about giving to the fans and less about ensuring the industry made bank during that weekend.
labsenpai

Post by labsenpai »

I didn't have a very good camera with me on my LA trip, but here are two nostalgic photos.
On the left are the voice actresses for Ayeka and Ryoko from Tenchi Muyo. On the right is a group shot of some (once young) cosplay contestants.
Attachments
ax96conpics.jpg
ax96conpics.jpg (197.7 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Yeah, going to a local con this weekend. Should be interesting if nothing else. Going to help at one of the booths so I get a discount on my membership. I want to put together a shirt with a lot of the IDs I used when I attended cons in the past. I gathered a bunch up and noticed old ones from the san Diego Comics Con when it really was pretty much comics only and the first con I attended which was the Minneapolis Comic Con in 1978. Good times, good memories and made lotsa good friends...