Star Blazers room at LunaCon '83

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Star Blazers room at LunaCon '83

Post by mbanu »

(http://fanac.org/Other_Cons/LunaCon/l83-pubs.html)

Not sure if it is so, but some sources have said tha this room in 1983 is the earliest example of a dedicated anime room at a science fiction convention as part of the formal program. (^_^).
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Re: Star Blazers room at LunaCon '83

Post by SteveH »

Well, August '82 at Babelcon in Grand Rapids, I ran a Star Blazers/Yamato Micro Con that was an official part of the programming. I had badges and a small program book and everything. I didn't have too many tapes but my library was growing and people had a good time.
mbanu

Post by mbanu »

That's really interesting! Would you happen to have photos of the old program guide? There are a few references to BabelCon in the late 80s floating around online, but there doesn't seem to be anything before that.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

mbanu wrote:That's really interesting! Would you happen to have photos of the old program guide? There are a few references to BabelCon in the late 80s floating around online, but there doesn't seem to be anything before that.
For some strange reason, and for all that I created Babelcon in 1979 and attended every one (I took some years off from running, came back, struggled, endured a coup, then finally got it back for it's last show in 1988), I don't seem to have all the program books. I do have a stack of the Micro Con badges but they aren't dated so might not be considered 'primary evidence'.

Sorry.
mbanu

Post by mbanu »

According to a 2008 interview with Walter Amos and Robert Fenelon, this was also one of the early places that the Jim Kaposztas "All You Need Is Love" Star Blazers AMV was shown: http://www.awopodcast.com/2008/01/anime ... r-and.html