When did folks finally stop using paper scripts?

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

When did folks finally stop using paper scripts?

Post by mbanu »

It seems like they co-existed with VHS fansubs for a while... Why was that, exactly? Any clue when paper scripts finally went extinct?
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: When did folks finally stop using paper scripts?

Post by runesaint »

The 'Why' I can answer quickly enough. Access to photocopiers was easy; making copies of lots of them and passing them about was fast. Along the same lines, scripts could be e-mailed quickly enough. It was faster, easier, and cheaper to get copies of scripts than to send a VHS tape, get it copied, and get it back. Similarly, most people either had limits on how many tapes were traded at a time, or asked for money, or had really...really long trade times.

I can give more examples if you like. In fact, the Berkeley clubs sold books with scripts in them for a while. I believe the first one had over a dozen episodes of Ranma 1/2... I think I can even dig some of them up. I vaguely recall that they even had legal permission for the Ranma scripts?
Akage

Post by Akage »

They still use them on the Japanese side of the production. You can buy them on Mandarake for the equivalent of a couple dollars each.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

If you wanna know what was in the first Berkeley issue, I have a .pdf from my blog all about that.

http://animeofyesteryear.blogspot.com/2 ... al-of.html
cosmosamurai

Post by cosmosamurai »

Printed scripts stayed relevant longer than you would think, at least for collectors of anime on laserdisc. Such a script was a good way of understanding that megabuck LD you just imported. Some hardcore anime LD collectors in the present do real time subtitling with a genlock and those old digital scripts floating around.
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Akage wrote:They still use them on the Japanese side of the production. You can buy them on Mandarake for the equivalent of a couple dollars each.
I think you have misunderstood the context and body of the original post.

'script' in this case refers to a fan produced translation/transliteration/synopsis. In other words, some paper product meant to help in understanding untranslated anime.

Not that it's THAT difficult. Most cases it really does boil down to "these are the good guys, these are the bad guys, the job of the good guys is to stop the bad guys, the job of the bad guys is to do stuff the good guys don't like" :)