Found some old Tomodachi Fansub pages still online

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
cosmosamurai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Found some old Tomodachi Fansub pages still online

Post by cosmosamurai »

This is pretty cool - a Marmalade Boy fan backed up Tomodachi's "Marmalade Boy Guide" page, which also contains general info on Tomodachi, and have it hosted at: http://www.animezu.com/Anime/cels/pics/ ... ctory.html

Under the "2002 Directories" link, there is a bunch of interesting history like many letters which fans wrote to Tomodachi, along with fan art, for shows they subbed such as their most popular title Fushigi Yuugi. History and discussion on the process of Tomodachi's fansubbing is some valuable information too from back in the day.
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Re: Found some old Tomodachi Fansub pages still online

Post by mbanu »

That anime clubs were sending out holiday cards to their favorite fansubbers is really entertaining. (^_^)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

And not a one says "YOUR SUBS SUCK, FIX EPISODE 57 OF FY YOU HACKS!!!"
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

DKop wrote:And not a one says "YOUR SUBS SUCK, FIX EPISODE 57 OF FY YOU HACKS!!!"
It really was a kinder, simpler time!

But frankly, maybe my glasses have some colored tinge that needs to be cleaned off of them, while there was drama and what-not in the fansub community, I seem to recall it being localized to like, a handful of groups. If my memory serves me:
[*]There was Games & James v. Anime Labs, where G&J ripped off a bunch of AL tapes. Not just copied a subtitle script but literally copied and logos tossed over at the beginning and end of each tape.
[*] There was heat on CTennosaur because he didn't do tape+SASE (or that plus a few bucks) but he was "just send me $15 or $20". Rationale was that you got clam boxes and art. (Kids like me mowing lawns didn't care, I just wanted cartoons).
[*] For some reason, it was a big deal that E. Monsoon and S. Baldric were the same person :shrug:
[*] VKLL caught quite a bit of heat because they allegedly didn't translate some Engrish right in Sailormoon S/SuperS/Stars "right". And you know, a group called "Save Our Sailors" probably started that, which probably means the whole thing was bullshit to begin with.

And that's just the shit I remember after 20 years. Sure, there was always the one-off, I sent so-and-so tapes and they never returned them or the quality was worse than described or whatever. Look at some of the bullshit arguments in The Rose from Dave Merrill's article & accompanying thread. To me, the fansub era that came of age during the Anime (and Broadband) Boom of the 2000s was much worse, much more vitriolic and fought over much stupider shit than anything we fought about in the nineties.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop

Post by DKop »

Drew_Sutton wrote:
DKop wrote:And not a one says "YOUR SUBS SUCK, FIX EPISODE 57 OF FY YOU HACKS!!!"
It really was a kinder, simpler time!

[*] There was heat on CTennosaur because he didn't do tape+SASE (or that plus a few bucks) but he was "just send me $15 or $20". Rationale was that you got clam boxes and art. (Kids like me mowing lawns didn't care, I just wanted cartoons).

Hes the guy that worked on DBZ fansubs IIRC. The name looks familiar because i remember it from the images off how the animepast.net site had screen caps of those with that name. I wish those files were still available online because I still wanna see all of them (hince the new meme on twitter "Miami Mike" came from.)

http://web.archive.org/web/200206081255 ... ctenosaur/
DKop

Post by DKop »

He's even got his own blog:

http://www.angelfire.com/ny/ctenosaur/b ... eginnings/

This is where I found out about the wayback machine link:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2265
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

CTennosaur did lots of titles but Dragonball was one of his bread-and-butter titles; I think usually because his tapes were regarded better (quality & TL) than some of the other heavy hitters, notably E. Monsoon/S. Baldric. Those tapes were plentiful but generation wasn't always as advertised. Mike "VegetoEX" LaBrie probably knows/remembers better. But as you can tell from the Angelfire post (which I swear was on his actual website once upon a time), he was really into Tokusatsu stuff, too. Looking at his tape archive on the Wayback machine, you can see a plethora of stuff on there. I guess I did misremember the pricing - some of those tapes (in '02 for crying out loud) were $13. Still much higher than what a lot of folks would request but again, you arguably got a better product.

The Games & James - AnimeLabs thing I mentioned was also over fucking Dragonball, too.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.