SDF/3WA (Texas anime club)?

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

SDF/3WA (Texas anime club)?

Post by mbanu »

http://www.angelfire.com/anime2/sdf3wa/

Here's an interesting one -- a community club that is still actively meeting that (judging by the name) is likely from the 80s. I can't find much reference to the club under this name before the late 90s, though. I'm wondering if maybe they were a merger between SDF-Fort Worth (Karen Helmer's split-off from the EDC) and 3WA-Fort Worth, two of the clubs that helped put on Project A-kon... anyone ever heard of them?
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Re: SDF/3WA (Texas anime club)?

Post by mbanu »

It looks like they used to be a clubhouse club! That makes them the only anime club I can think of besides the original C/FO LA to pull this particular stunt off:
Hi,

Some of you may have noticed us taking up space and being noisy in the lecture hall on the 18th. SDF3WA is an Anime Club that has being meeting and showing Japanese Animation for quite a few years. We can't meet at the Animefest Club house because the con needs the space for in house production. Fortunately, some of our members are also DMS members and were kind enough to get us space here.
(https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/sdf ... -hall/4171)

This is a really intriguing variant I hadn't thought of before. I've never heard of the "AnimeFest Clubhouse", but it sounds like one of those storage areas the larger cons tend to acquire when it finally makes financial sense to purchase and store their own equipment rather than paying the rental fees every year. (Maybe I'm misunderstanding; anyone ever heard of the AnimeFest Clubhouse before?)
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: SDF/3WA (Texas anime club)?

Post by davemerrill »

I don't know about the Animefest Clubhouse, but I know both Anime North and AWA have office space they rent that they use for staff events and for storage and maintenance of their equipment. Once a convention starts spending a certain amount on storage units, warehouse/office space becomes more and more attractive.