AnimeCon '92 (and '93?)

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: AnimeCon '92 (and '93?)

Post by davemerrill »

there's something really fascinating about the advertising for conventions that never happened. A weird "what could have been" vibe, those "I wonder what happened" questions, and the speculation about the upper level staff conferences where they finally admitted to themselves that it wasn't going to happen.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

and yeah, I was on the inside of a show that never made it past Year Two; and that one was the one-two punch of the convention losing a few thousand dollars, and the upper level staffers all simply not wanting to spend any more time with each other. Burnout.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

zimmerit wrote:
Drew_Sutton wrote:Ok - I must have misunderstood what you had posted from Usenet; I was under the impression that even though there were organizational issues, the 1992 show still happened. The show not happening makes a lot of sense though.
Sorry about that, should have been a bit clearer. I was mostly surprised to find out that they'd advertised AnimeCon '92 (and '93), having assumed the whole thing had gone kaput after AnimeCon '91 and General Products pulling out.
It's ok - reading comprehension isn't always my strongest skill ;)

Having been in the boat of organizing shows, I can see from that point of view that a bad year or needing another year to reset. Especially if there is a bunch of drama surrounding that second year like Usenet implies.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.