Reddit discovers rec.arts.anime

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Reddit discovers rec.arts.anime

Post by mbanu »

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments ... n_winning/

I was a little surprised; didn't think there were that many people browsing the Usenet group archives.
mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: Reddit discovers rec.arts.anime

Post by DKop »

I got a big chuckle from some of these threads and the opinions of fans at that time. It's funny that someone made a thread tearing into the Ghost in the Shell movie like it has no relevance on anime at that time. Funny how things change 20 years later, and I gotta wonder what their opinion of the live action movie might have been :lol: .

Yea some of these usenet groups for net.comics going back to the mid 1980's were asking about where to even watch anime at cons (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... RCGfJbhZEU), and to get Robotech tapes for trade. It's interesting how things change within a decade, and even since this century and last century. I'm glad these usenet groups are archived online to some capacity for fans today to go back in time and see how much fandom has changed or stayed the same. For me, it's changed to stay the same.
labsenpai
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by labsenpai »

I get a nervous chuckle from the readers that seem amazed how old fans wrote like 40-somethings. If you wanted to circulate an opinion about anime, the normal way was still to get a proper article into a zine. The bastardization of grammar didn't arrive with the first modems.
I do recall avoiding some anime series if there was any conflicts it created. You had to tolerate trolls in person back then :?
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Man, I can't recall when I stopped posting to USEnet. I was using Netcom dialup until around 2011, then switched to ATT DSL, and ATT didn't support access to USEnet.

Good grief I'm not even sure of my old sign-in now or my Netcom email. geeze.

But if you look for threads about Yamato or Star Blazers I was likely there. :)
Onei-03
Anime Fan Since: 2008

Post by Onei-03 »

I wish I could read more but my eyes are straining at the moment.

For the Evangelion discussion, I really like how most, if not all, of the members write their post in a mature/intellectual way. Though I'd feel at home, basically.

Michael Liu sounds like a doozy, honestly. I wanna read more but, uh, yeah. I gotta rest.
gaijinpunch
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by gaijinpunch »

Onei-03 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:30 pm Michael Liu sounds like a doozy, honestly. I wanna read more but, uh, yeah. I gotta rest.
Link to his? I used to trade tapes with him via snail mail... and sent messages over FAX from time to time. (Prepared me for my 15 years inJapan). He was really into early 70's giant robot stuff.