The World of Gekkan OUT

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
karageko
Anime Fan Since: ~2004

The World of Gekkan OUT

Post by karageko »

https://ameblo.jp/g-fock/

I found this Japanese blog many months ago when trying to dig up more information in Japanese about GoShogun: The Time Etranger, but for whatever reason it didn't occur to me to share the link here until now.

This blog has been uploading scanned pages of "The World of Gekkan OUT" (Gekkan OUT no Sekai) magazines quite regularly since 2014, starting from issues from the late 70s to currently the late 80s. It is all in Japanese, but with pretty pictures so check it out if you're interested.
Name: Austin
TwitterBlog
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: The World of Gekkan OUT

Post by davemerrill »

I don't know that I've ever seen the later 80s issues of OUT. I have a few issues from the mid 1980s; it's a really great magazine. Started as a general SF-fan thing and their Yamato issue sold like crazy so it became an anime fan magazine with the flip of a switch.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Very cool! I have some issues of OUT, but most of them are from the early 90s. It was a really cool magazine!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

I never saw an actual issue of OUT. I probably would have added it to my monthly anime magazine subscription but I was under the impression it was dead and gone by June 1982. I must have been mistaken.

OTOH I have to say the various mooks they released were epic cool and awesome, a run of volumes that rivaled Tokuma Shoten's Roman Album line. I'm sure my appreciation only scratches the surface, if I could read Japanese like a native I'd have probably gotten much more out of the mooks.

The culmination of the OUT Magazine skill and craft was the Macross Perfect Memory. Then they did the Vifam Perfect Memory (probably THE go-to book for that show) and then the slightly lackluster Votoms book. Then I think they were gone. Probably caught up in the Great Anime Publishing Purge of 1985.
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by runesaint »

Thank you for the link... skimming through the pages of that gave me lots of nostalgia feels. I had one issue of OUT myself, but I know that I either ebayed or gave away all my old magazines a move or two back :/
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Really cool find - been flipping through some of the pages. It was nice to see lots of Samurai Trooper stuff in the late 1988 issues. Even went back to the pages that had the magazine from my birth-month and nice fun to see lots of cool stuff - Urusei Yatsura, Dunbine, Xabungle, Crusher Joe and Final Yamato. It's one thing to know about these things in some degree of independence of each other but to look back and see that all of these things were happening at the same time is kinda mind-blowing, especially when now it seems like there might be only one or two things at any given time now that catch my interest.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.