Regarding the url of old fansites

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: Regarding the url of old fansites

Post by usamimi »

Aww, thanks! And no worries--always willing to help out when I can!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Regarding the url of old fansites

Post by davemerrill »

hey, thanks for reading and listening to our things!

I can't really speak to the accuracy of the websites of the time; most of my 1990s internet was email and various email lists, and the people who were making anime websites at the time were covering films and TV shows that I wasn't particularly interested in. I know there was one Captain Harlock website that was inaccurate in places, and I believe seeing that website was part of my friend Matt's decision to create his own Captain Harlock website. http://cornponeflicks.org/harlock/harlockmain.html

The thing about fanzines and club newsletters is that they were only as good as the contributors involved, and these people were unpaid volunteers with a wide range of skills and talent and free time. You might get one great article and then five not-so-great ones, and the editors had to print whatever was on hand. So you kind of have to judge fanzines on a curve and be very generous when comparing them to the kinds of publications we'd get later.