Anime BBS scene

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
TheMidnightSnack
Anime Fan Since: 2016

Anime BBS scene

Post by TheMidnightSnack »

I got curious. I use some bulletin boards to this day, and I wondered if there were any Otaku BBSes outside of Japan.
Also, I know about AnimeMUCK, but I haven't seen anybody on it in a loooong time.
If anybody knows of any BBS like this, let me know. Most of this scene died after the World Wide Web, and very little was documented.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Anime BBS scene

Post by davemerrill »

There were anime-themed BBS systems across America. The one in Atlanta that I was a part of was called 'SD-BBS' and was started by a friend of mine named Gary. At one point its server was in the basement of the house I was living in, and it used our second telephone line. I have a flyer for it around here somewhere. This BBS was connected to the FIDOnet network, and there was another national network that was called "Animenet." This was from the early to the mid 1990s.
zimmerit
Anime Fan Since: 1995

Re: Anime BBS scene

Post by zimmerit »

Sean // zimmerit.moe