Did the Pokemon boom affected you?

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Akage
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Did the Pokemon boom affected you?

Post by Akage »

usamimi wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:26 amOMG fun fact: the ONLY time I ever got an entire anime club screening room to be absolutely quiet was when I got a fansub of the first Pokemon movie & did a showing of it a week before the American version hit theaters.
I don't blame them.

The first two Pokémon movies were quite different in their original Japanese version than the version released in the US. The US version of the first movie edited out Mewtwo's creation and that of the cloned daughter of the professor that created Mewtwo. My guess is that this was done to make it more of a children's movie and to not bring up the whole topic of evolution vs creationism that some US viewers might not like. Even though I do enjoy the Pokémon dub, I enjoyed the Japanese version of the first movie far more than the US version. Mewtwo was a tragic villain in the Japanese version, but I didn't feel the same way about Mewtwo in the dub.

The second movie was edited in the US to focus solely on Ash, whereas the message of the Japanese version of the second movie was the importance of respecting nature and maintaining that delicate balance. Did the US version have Lugia's song? That was my favorite aspect of the entire film and I was super excited to hear the first few notes during the trailer for the newest Pokémon movie. I haven't seen the dub version since it was originally released in the theater.

And also, 'Revelation Lugia' is a hell of a better title than 'Pokémon the Movie: 2000'.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

The only thing I know of the Pokemon 2000 movie is that one line in the song was used by past Republican runner Herman Cain in the 2012 race, and even joked about it at one of his speeches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o95KxKKrgkQ
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

One old American otaku I have had the fortunate speaking to talked about how his Tenchi Muyo group received a lot of new fans around 1999 who started with Pokemon before catching on with other anime. I wonder whether situations like these were universal or simply local phenomenon. If the later is true, then why Tenchi Muyo in particular? Both shows did not seem to have the same target demographic.

(And I still haven't figured out why did Tenchi Muyo, Love Hina, and other late 1990s Harem franchises seem to lose steam so fast compared to shows a decade later.)
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Fireminer wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:46 pm One old American otaku I have had the fortunate speaking to talked about how his Tenchi Muyo group received a lot of new fans around 1999 who started with Pokemon before catching on with other anime. I wonder whether situations like these were universal or simply local phenomenon. If the later is true, then why Tenchi Muyo in particular? Both shows did not seem to have the same target demographic.

(And I still haven't figured out why did Tenchi Muyo, Love Hina, and other late 1990s Harem franchises seem to lose steam so fast compared to shows a decade later.)
For what it's worth, Tenchi Muyo! was a staple of a lot of late 1990s fan communities. Not always universally enjoyed but omnipresent. I am kinda surprised that a physical meeting surrounded just over Tenchi Muyo! and wasn't part of a wider anime club. I guess everything's got its fanbase though.

As far as some Pokemon kids winding up at a Tenchi Muyo! meeting, I suppose it could have happened.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Yes, my younger sister was into it and played the original Game Boy games (so did I). So I watched the anime and got a little into it. I was just starting college at the time.