An index of prominent figures in the early anime fandom?

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: An index of prominent figures in the early anime fandom?

Post by DKop »

Oh it was really personal. I understand something like that is hard to put out there, but I really have a lot of respect for JSF on what she went through. It was written well enough that it got me engrossed in her story life story. Pretty much what I mentioned above were the big highlights. Maybe one day JSF will post it up again, but who knows.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

right now JSF is living in Denver and dealing with serious health issues - still involved as possible with fan activities, but not as much as before, obviously. I read that memoir she posted as well, and while it is very personal stuff, it's also pretty entertaining, and if she was to re-post perhaps a slightly edited version I think it would be welcomed.

Fireminer, I've been meaning to scan in and post some pages from the C/FO Magazine so you can have an idea of what the chapters were like and who the contacts were for each. I should have some time this weekend.
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

davemerrill wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:13 am right now JSF is living in Denver and dealing with serious health issues - still involved as possible with fan activities, but not as much as before, obviously. I read that memoir she posted as well, and while it is very personal stuff, it's also pretty entertaining, and if she was to re-post perhaps a slightly edited version I think it would be welcomed.

Fireminer, I've been meaning to scan in and post some pages from the C/FO Magazine so you can have an idea of what the chapters were like and who the contacts were for each. I should have some time this weekend.
Thank you so much! I am really surprised that someone would had gone so far for me.

And it's terrible to hear that Jan Scott Frazier's health isn't in a good state. From what I've read, her career has really inspired a good number of people to start working in the anime industry and make an impact.

(On a related topic, when was the first time anyone here heard about the actual working condition of studio workers in Japan? I think I did come across an article about low-paid animators on an issue between 2001 to 2004 on Anime Fringe)
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

Did the Ani-Magic convention ended in 2009? What happened to Revell Walker following that? In my Google Search this website and an article written by Revell was brought up. Were Revell a CEO of a company named "AVAS"?

Also, does anyone here have any idea about this Glenn Schmall guy? I came across one of his article here.
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

So, here is the first draft of my index. I can not say enough about how thankful I am for all the help from members of this forum to make this possible. It's still very unfinished, and I hope that you can read and give me a heads-up about anything I miss or being wrong.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

just right off the top of my head, Fred's name is Fred PATTEN, not "Pattern." Darn that autocorrect.
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

davemerrill wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:16 am just right off the top of my head, Fred's name is Fred PATTEN, not "Pattern." Darn that autocorrect.
Thanks a lot! Also, do want to correct or add anything to the summary about Matt Murray?
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

Does anyone here know anything about Robert Fenelon, one of the founding members of Michael Pinto's Star Blazers fanclub, and the guy who Michael entrusted the club when he left in 1984? I only know that he was an editor for the club's fanzine.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Fireminer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:40 pm Does anyone here know anything about Robert Fenelon, one of the founding members of Michael Pinto's Star Blazers fanclub, and the guy who Michael entrusted the club when he left in 1984? I only know that he was an editor for the club's fanzine.
I've met Rob a few times at Anime Weekend Atlanta. Really funny guy, deeply knowledgeable but all any of he Before Times fan activity I have only heard anecdotally. I think I remember him having some medical issues as well, as I remember seeing him using a cane one of them last times I spoke with him I seem to remember him using a cane to get around. I am sure Dave both knows him better, both personally and as a fan.

AWO did some interviews with Rob (and Walter Amos) way back and I remember those interviews being very good. Part 1 and Part 2. There is probably some more information in those interviews that would be what you're looking for, Fireminer.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Fireminer

Post by Fireminer »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:56 am
Fireminer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:40 pm Does anyone here know anything about Robert Fenelon, one of the founding members of Michael Pinto's Star Blazers fanclub, and the guy who Michael entrusted the club when he left in 1984? I only know that he was an editor for the club's fanzine.
I've met Rob a few times at Anime Weekend Atlanta. Really funny guy, deeply knowledgeable but all any of he Before Times fan activity I have only heard anecdotally. I think I remember him having some medical issues as well, as I remember seeing him using a cane one of them last times I spoke with him I seem to remember him using a cane to get around. I am sure Dave both knows him better, both personally and as a fan.

AWO did some interviews with Rob (and Walter Amos) way back and I remember those interviews being very good. Part 1 and Part 2. There is probably some more information in those interviews that would be what you're looking for, Fireminer.
Thank you so much for that!