An index of prominent figures in the early anime fandom?

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: An index of prominent figures in the early anime fandom?

Post by davemerrill »

I don't think there were any dramatic demographic differences between the C/FO in Misawa and the C/FO in Los Angeles or Chicago or anywhere. 10 to 25 people, mostly male, mostly nerdy, in their late teens to mid 30s, getting together once a month to watch Japanese cartoons on somebody's televison.

I imagine the Misawa group probably had better access to better-looking VHS copies of anime titles, and they got their issues of Animage off the newsstand rather than being shipped overseas, but other than that I don't think they were any different than any other C/FO group.
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

davemerrill wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:13 pm I don't know about the "first fansub" claim, but the C/FO chapter based in Japan was based at the Misawa AFB, and the chapter was known as the "Rising Sun" chapter. Vecchio was a member of this club, and another member was Revell Walker, who went on to organize the "Ani-Magic" convention in California from 2000 until 2009.
Thanks, I was pretty sure that Vecchio was talking about Misawa AFB but I couldn't recall if that was where he was stationed or not. Was Misawa AFB the only one with a C/FO chapter? What about other larger installations like the Marine base Camp Butler in Okinawa, US Navy Sasebo in Nagasaki or US Navy Yokosuka in Kanagawa? I know the Air Force has the reputation of being the "nerdy" branch but I imagine with those bases being so large, there'd be enough people to get together and watch cartoons once or twice a month.
davemerrill wrote:I imagine the Misawa group probably had better access to better-looking VHS copies of anime titles, and they got their issues of Animage off the newsstand rather than being shipped overseas, but other than that I don't think they were any different than any other C/FO group.
Vecchio talked about that - at least as far as tapes go. Not only could they tape off of local TV but access to video stores meant they could go rent tapes and copy for their club and trade with others back in the States.
Fireminer wrote:I only know that American servicemen have the right to bring their families to live within designated communities near their bases (Are these communities within or outside the perimeter of the bases anyway?)
I think it depends on base location - most American bases are relatively self sufficient with stores and support in addition to living accommodations. Single service members are typically barracked up like in dormatories, while married couples and families will have their own living quarters. Most everything is on the base itself. People I knew who were stationed in Asia tended to live on-base and not many lived off-base; in Europe, I've heard of some service members and families living off-base in nearby towns. In bases in the States, the regulations are a bit looser and depends on what you might get as a housing stipend.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:11 pm

I think it depends on base location - most American bases are relatively self sufficient with stores and support in addition to living accommodations. Single service members are typically barracked up like in dormatories, while married couples and families will have their own living quarters. Most everything is on the base itself. People I knew who were stationed in Asia tended to live on-base and not many lived off-base; in Europe, I've heard of some service members and families living off-base in nearby towns. In bases in the States, the regulations are a bit looser and depends on what you might get as a housing stipend.
I remember going to pawn shops and hobby stores near Fort Bragg about 10 years back, and that seems to be a treasure trove of getting video games and anime from service men that sell their stuff off before being deployed. There was one hobby store that I got a legit sealed copy of Baoh on DVD for way less than what it was selling online. It was like walking into a nerd store from 2001 and the prices equated that.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

Drew_Sutton wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks, I was pretty sure that Vecchio was talking about Misawa AFB but I couldn't recall if that was where he was stationed or not. Was Misawa AFB the only one with a C/FO chapter? What about other larger installations like the Marine base Camp Butler in Okinawa, US Navy Sasebo in Nagasaki or US Navy Yokosuka in Kanagawa? I know the Air Force has the reputation of being the "nerdy" branch but I imagine with those bases being so large, there'd be enough people to get together and watch cartoons once or twice a month.

As far as I know, Misawa was the only C/FO chapter on a military base in Japan. I have quite a few C/FO Magazines from that time period, each issue has a report on what each chapter has been up to, and Misawa was the only one that was mentioned. That doesn't mean there weren't anime fans stationed at those bases, or other bases, of course. Not every 70s or 80s era anime fan was a C/FO member.
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

davemerrill wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:02 am As far as I know, Misawa was the only C/FO chapter on a military base in Japan. I have quite a few C/FO Magazines from that time period, each issue has a report on what each chapter has been up to, and Misawa was the only one that was mentioned. That doesn't mean there weren't anime fans stationed at those bases, or other bases, of course. Not every 70s or 80s era anime fan was a C/FO member.
Can I bother you to look into your fanzine collection and give me an assessment on the general background of the writers? Like you said in an earlier post, C/FO members were considered nerds then, so maybe their exposures to other form of media prior, like cinema or novels, might have influcenced their preference in anime?
mbanu
Anime Fan Since: 2001

Post by mbanu »

mbanu: What's between Old School and New School?
runesaint: Hmmm. "Middle School", perhaps?
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

davemerrill wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:02 am As far as I know, Misawa was the only C/FO chapter on a military base in Japan. I have quite a few C/FO Magazines from that time period, each issue has a report on what each chapter has been up to, and Misawa was the only one that was mentioned. That doesn't mean there weren't anime fans stationed at those bases, or other bases, of course. Not every 70s or 80s era anime fan was a C/FO member.
Oh yeah - of course, not everyone was in the C/FO and nor did it preclude people from getting together to watch cartoons on their own. Was just curious if the other bases had organized presence in the organization.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Moonsaber
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by Moonsaber »

Donno if this is off topic but Robert Woodhead of AnimEigo was and still is one of the biggest fanboys ever.. enough that he founded his own company to import anime, and did a damn great job of what he brings in, and still does.

Also, Justin Sevakis of ANN has made a living out of being a fan. Bully! He was also one of the people behind Kodocha fansubs back in the day, which were arguably the best quality fansubs on the market.
Is there such a thing as Too Much Anime?
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Post by Fireminer »

Moonsaber wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:14 am Donno if this is off topic but Robert Woodhead of AnimEigo was and still is one of the biggest fanboys ever.. enough that he founded his own company to import anime, and did a damn great job of what he brings in, and still does.

Also, Justin Sevakis of ANN has made a living out of being a fan. Bully! He was also one of the people behind Kodocha fansubs back in the day, which were arguably the best quality fansubs on the market.
Thanks! While they came later than the date limit I have in mind, I will surely look up more about them!
Moonsaber
Anime Fan Since: 1988

Post by Moonsaber »

Date limit?
Is there such a thing as Too Much Anime?