pages from C/FO Magazine V2 #3

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Re: pages from C/FO Magazine V2 #3

Post by SteveH »

Fireminer wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:23 am
SteveH wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:26 pm Full disclosure: On the whole I consider Nishizaki a pretty admirable man. I do compare him to Gene Roddenberry, a talented person who went off the rails late in life.

I might make sad jokes about his drug use (I blame NYC for that mainly, and the '80s) but I do not see him sitting next to a mountain of coke surrounded by guns. He sailed near some really bad areas (Cambodia is a pirate haven for example) and, really, some self protection is a damn good idea. Frankly to my eyes, a pair of M=16s aren't nearly enough. I would prefer something in .30 cal, maybe the M-14. Something that can punch a hole thru a wheelhouse and ventilate the helmsman. I digress.
Cambodia? Can I ask a source for that? That place in the 80s and 90s moved between "hell on earth" of the Red Khmer to "no-go zone" during the Vietnamese occupation.
I can't cite anything other than what I have been told by people who have lived there for near on 20 years. Piracy is a problem in Cambodia, a significant problem. It's mainly on the rivers but it also affects areas around the coast. Somalia gets all the attention but there's dangerous waters all around the area. A yacht like NIshizaki's would be a rich target. Slavery, ransom, loot. It does happen in our modern 21st Century.

Oh it's safe enough at the major cities and ports- no communist country wants to harm that rich rich capitalist tourist money!- but you don't have to travel that far to hit potential danger.

It's said some of the pirates are actually military with the insignia off, others say it's rebel factions, still others claim it's just an arm of jihad. You don't see much attention to it in the American press. That's all I have.
Fireminer
Anime Fan Since: 2012

Re: pages from C/FO Magazine V2 #3

Post by Fireminer »

SteveH wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:58 pm I can't cite anything other than what I have been told by people who have lived there for near on 20 years. Piracy is a problem in Cambodia, a significant problem. It's mainly on the rivers but it also affects areas around the coast. Somalia gets all the attention but there's dangerous waters all around the area. A yacht like NIshizaki's would be a rich target. Slavery, ransom, loot. It does happen in our modern 21st Century.

Oh it's safe enough at the major cities and ports- no communist country wants to harm that rich rich capitalist tourist money!- but you don't have to travel that far to hit potential danger.

It's said some of the pirates are actually military with the insignia off, others say it's rebel factions, still others claim it's just an arm of jihad. You don't see much attention to it in the American press. That's all I have.
That is an interesting piece of information. Thanks!

With a figure like Nishizaki, I am kind of weary about every rumors around him. That kind of man attracts rumors like an over-ripened fruit to flies. There is actually a figure like that in Vietnamese literature, and nowadays people are still busy separating rumors from facts about him.