Was Randall Stukey representative to anything?

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
runesaint
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Re: Was Randall Stukey representative to anything?

Post by runesaint »

davemerrill wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:35 am I don't think Sue Shambaugh was making any sort of profit out of translating anime movies. I can't remember what she was charging, but certainly it wasn't anywhere near what a professional translator would charge. When we subtitled the Queen Millennia film we used her script and I don't think she charged us anything. Later I paid to have a friend translate Flying Phantom Ship, and it was still way below market rates.
I would also like to second this. A number of people who 'back in the day' sold scripts or episode synopsis books or the like tended to charge slightly more than it cost to do the printing, the binding, and the mailing. Did they make some profit above that? Probably - but if you put in minimum wage to the hours that they put into making the booklets as well as shipping and handling they were definitely taking a loss.
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Re: Was Randall Stukey representative to anything?

Post by davemerrill »

runesaint wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:57 pm
davemerrill wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:35 am I don't think Sue Shambaugh was making any sort of profit out of translating anime movies. I can't remember what she was charging, but certainly it wasn't anywhere near what a professional translator would charge. When we subtitled the Queen Millennia film we used her script and I don't think she charged us anything. Later I paid to have a friend translate Flying Phantom Ship, and it was still way below market rates.
I would also like to second this. A number of people who 'back in the day' sold scripts or episode synopsis books or the like tended to charge slightly more than it cost to do the printing, the binding, and the mailing. Did they make some profit above that? Probably - but if you put in minimum wage to the hours that they put into making the booklets as well as shipping and handling they were definitely taking a loss.
This was my experience also; that people providing translations or synopsis packets would charge just to recoup their costs in printing and mailing. That was one of the attractive things about anime fandom; people were up front about being there for the fandom and not trying to somehow turn it into a business.

If you didn't live in a town with a Kinko's or an Office Depot, photocopies could get pretty expensive.