Anyone remember Urusei Yatsura on this show....

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
raiderfan99
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Anyone remember Urusei Yatsura on this show....

Post by raiderfan99 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doUy5y-In_A

I was quite amazed it was shown on cable tv back in 1996.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: Anyone remember Urusei Yatsura on this show....

Post by _D_ »

Kid's version of MTV? Unnecessary here where we have had YTV for decades now. Thanks for the share. Saw Count Chocula, Boo Berry and Frankenberry plush toys at a friend's comic store the other day. Me being a 60s kid has been thrilled with getting the Hanna Barbera DVD sets of shows like Frankenstein Jr. & The Impossibles and The Herculoids.
raiderfan99
Anime Fan Since: 1993

Post by raiderfan99 »

_D_ wrote:Kid's version of MTV? Unnecessary here where we have had YTV for decades now. Thanks for the share. Saw Count Chocula, Boo Berry and Frankenberry plush toys at a friend's comic store the other day. Me being a 60s kid has been thrilled with getting the Hanna Barbera DVD sets of shows like Frankenstein Jr. & The Impossibles and The Herculoids.
It was not a Kid's version of MTV(it was on the actual mtv), from what I remember it was a extremely short run show on MTV in early 1996 that evolved from a NYC public access show ran by the kid with the laserdiscs(Jake Folgerhert or something like that).

I remember he showed some other clips from other anime, but 30 second clips from Urusei Yatsura on each episode.

Squirt TV, the show in the clip, was doomed from the start being on a early am timeslot and being cancelled over the summer of 1996. I remember making me wonder what show it was (Urusei Yatsura) and searching it out on dial up internet back in the day, then renting the first two movies from a local video store.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

I remember the first time MTV went on the air. Was at a friend's house and we watched it on his BUD. "Video Killed The Radio Star" was the first song/video played. Nostalgia...

We had some great genre shows like Prisoners of Gravity that interviewed all the comics and book authors. Check out the videos on Youtube. Douglas Adams, Jack Kirby, Allan Moore, Harlan Ellison, etc. Show ran for 5 years. YTV as I recall had shows that showcased anything from comics to music to the latest and greatest (at the time). I recorded lots of shows like The Anti Gravity Room that I never got around to watching, so I have no idea of the show's content. I did that a lot back in the day...
PinkAppleJam
Anime Fan Since: 1992

Post by PinkAppleJam »

You got to know your chicken! What a great crazy mashup show, never heard of it, thanks for sharing!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Post by DKop »

I'd never thought id see Urusei Yatsura and Wesley Willis in a period of 5 minutes on TV. What a dream come true!