People had the internet in 1989?! Unfair!

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

People had the internet in 1989?! Unfair!

Post by danth »

https://groups.google.com/group/rec.art ... -12?&pli=1

Damn, these guys were talking online about anime when I was 11, 7 years before I knew anything about the internet. Crazy. I bet a lot of you guys were on those BBS's.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Re: People had the internet in 1989?! Unfair!

Post by _D_ »

Pulls out the Venice Perfect Memory Japanese Animation CD-ROM Collection Vol. 1 - 3....

Yep....

Just checked the snapshot of the Venice Archive from 1994 on this site and some of my old messages are there under some of my online names at the time. But I was online much earlier than that...
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

That blows my mind. Did you have to like hook up your phone to some audio to digital transducer?
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Oh, WOW. That's a bunch of nostalgia! Not only is it rec.arts.anime, but discussions of the Bubblegum Crisis soundtracks as well as Newtype Hobbies!

I remember buying the BGC "Complete" Vocal Collections volumes 1 and 2 at a shop in Little Tokyo in Los Angeles. I put quotation marks around the word "complete" because unfortunately, it didn't have the great songs from episode 8. However, apparently there is a newer vocal collection soundtrack that does have these songs. I'm not really into anime soundtracks like I was in high school and college, but I'd still like to own these new CDs again someday. Just for nostalgia sake.

And Newtype! Boy, I remember drooling all over the garage kits they sold. I think I wrote them once and after that, I was on their mailing list and I'd get their catalogs in the mail. Oh man, and I remember seeing the B-Club Special Bubblegum Crisis character garage kits, especially the one of Linna. At the time, I barely knew how to paint a regular plastic model, so I had no confidence in learning how to make a garage kit. That was before I had access to the Internet, and even still I bet there weren't the wealth of information on how to do such things back then like there is today.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_

Post by _D_ »

BikeLover wrote:Recall the 2400Baud Modem dialing and praying it goes through.
2400? The first one I built was 300! The US Robotics 1200 was next. 2400 later. Thought I was really zipping along when I could download a whole single sided diskette for my Atari ST during my lunch break...
_D_

Post by _D_ »

I still have this:

_D_

Post by _D_ »

And this:

greg

Post by greg »

Wow, did you get that portrait of Priss when Sonoda came to Anime Expo that year?

So I have the two "Complete" Vocal Collection CDs, but this is the one I want to get---it is a 3 CD compilation that has everything, including "Bye Bye My Crisis" and "Chase The Dream" from Episode 8, Scoop Chase.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
greg

Post by greg »

8" floppies? All I know are the 5 1/4" and 3.5" floppies.
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
_D_

Post by _D_ »

greg wrote:Wow, did you get that portrait of Priss when Sonoda came to Anime Expo that year?

So I have the two "Complete" Vocal Collection CDs, but this is the one I want to get---it is a 3 CD compilation that has everything, including "Bye Bye My Crisis" and "Chase The Dream" from Episode 8, Scoop Chase.

Son May (Taiwan) knockoff:

At one time these discs were everywhere in Canada. Haven't bought discs in years. Last ones I bought were all arcade video game music...