The Lucky Finds bragging thread

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
DKop
Anime Fan Since: 1998

Re: The Lucky Finds bragging thread

Post by DKop »

_D_ wrote:Starting to get around to scanning in many of the brochures, advertising handouts, posters, booklets, etc. Not going to try to do whole mags as I don't have the equipment for that (look for DIY Book Scanners for info on how to simplify the process using cameras and software). I'll probably put the game posters up for sale on eBay as there seems to be a lot of interest in those. The horror and more lurid anime and movie posters also seem to be big sellers. I'll sell a few and buy my other equipment if I can. Only big item I sold recently though was a bunch of Chinese comics (Manhua) from the late 70s or early 80s. The even earlier martial arts ones from 1970 - 1973 are muchly prized as they were pretty gruesome, featuring some really gross front covers. That brought into effect a new law in Hong Kong effectively banning them. Reminded me of what happened with U.S. comics in the 1950s. Some people just don't learn from the past...
Have you been talking to me through email lately? I've been talking with a gentlemen who contacted me through my anime of yesteryear blog and the stuff your saying sounds a lot like what we have been talking about for over a month or so. I was just curious. If not then dont worry about it.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Yes, that's me...

Did a bunch of posters over the last couple hours. Tedious work but I managed to hang them in such a way as to not damage them. Had to quit for now as my eyes are bugging me...
DKop

Post by DKop »

oh awesome! I still got your stuff on my HD, id figured I wait till you wanted to send me more before I posted anything up, which is about due at this point.
DKop

Post by DKop »

DKop wrote:oh awesome! I still got your stuff on my HD, id figured I wait till you wanted to send me more before I posted anything up, which is about due at this point.
Not that i ment you had to rush, i ment in terms of content on that blog, your fine.
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Head's up if you live near a Dollar Tree: they seem to have copies of the old Bandai release of Patlabor 2 The Movie in their $1 dvd bin!
20170519_130313.jpg
20170519_130313.jpg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 3402 times
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Gosh darn it! And here I paid $5 USD for it a couple of years ago (deluxe box version) :)
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Lol I'd say that's a better deal! I already own the bluray but I figure having an extra copy or two would be good for gifts or giveaways :mrgreen:
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

usamimi wrote:Lol I'd say that's a better deal! I already own the bluray but I figure having an extra copy or two would be good for gifts or giveaways :mrgreen:
The gift of Patlabor is always a good thing. Mind, I think the first Patlabor movie might go better for one who has no idea what the concept is, but if you've got someone who whines about how all that Japanimation crap is big boobs and heads exploding and why can't they find something intellectual and like actual 'art' or a 'serious movie', Yep, Patlabor 2 will destroy their minds and rock their world.

I've grown to appreciate what Patlabor (as a franchise) was doing much more over the past few years, even tho I've not seen much.

I really kind of wish they'd take the big risk and show what Patlabor Japan is like in 2017. Where is Noa et al now? Did SV2 ever get the respect it earned? Are there Patrol Labor otaku, bugging the living daylights out of the police?

There's no need to relaunch, reboot, re-imagine. Just carry it on. It would be OK.

But I guess all of Headgear is busy doing other things. I would have thought Izubuchi, freed from Yamato 2202 (and I wish he was still involved but the current team is doing OK :) ), might be inspired but guess not.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:Head's up if you live near a Dollar Tree: they seem to have copies of the old Bandai release of Patlabor 2 The Movie in their $1 dvd bin!
Sweet! I'll have to see if the store near me has any copies.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Most recent trip to Half Price Books got me a Nausicaa Roman Album that was in amazing condition for dirt cheap! I was shocked, I wonder who around here traded this beauty in?!
Attachments
DMHpRs1VAAASBW_.jpg
DMHpRs1VAAASBW_.jpg (209.03 KiB) Viewed 3180 times