The Lucky Finds bragging thread

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

The Lucky Finds bragging thread

Post by usamimi »

Ok, so on some forums I've been on there've been "bragging" threads, so I thought this might be a good idea for here. Have you ever found something totally awesome for a STEAL?! Brag about it here so we can all be jealous of you and bask in your awesomeness. XD

I'm a serial thrift store junky, and I patrol a lot of swapping sites for books/dvds/etc...and sometimes I actually find some pretty decent things. (One of my favorite things I ever got on a swap site was a HUGE box of over 20 vols of manga--including some of the original, old release of the Gundam manga Viz did back in the day--for just the cost of shipping it to me.)

But today I got something in the mail that made me ridiculously happy.

I'd been itching to re-watch the original El-Hazard for a while...so a few months ago, I put it on my Amazon wish list, even though re-sellers were trying to sell it for well over $70 (at one point I saw it go up to $99!). I was mindlessly scrolling through my wish list last week looking for a volume number on something, when I saw something that nearly made my eyes bug-out from my head: someone was selling a used copy of the box set for a whopping SEVEN DOLLARS. $7! I almost didn't buy it because I was afraid it was someone trying to sell a bootleg off for cheap, but I figured for $7 it was worth the risk...and it paid off! It came in the mail today, in great shape, the discs in amazing condition. I seriously almost jumped for joy after opening it. XD

So who else has gotten a great deal recently? :mrgreen:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Re: The Lucky Finds bragging thread

Post by danth »

Awesome. I wanted that set, but settled for the dirt cheap singles when they were on sale. The original El Hazard OAV really is a great show.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

It's hard to explain without getting technical, but in the early '90s, there were Victory Gundam model kits put out by Bandai that were larget scale than the typical HG model kits they make now (1/100 scale as opposed to 1/144). In the series was the V2 Buster Gundam and the V2 Assault Gundam. The V2 Buster Gundam was the first model I ever made. They never made a V2 Buster Assault Gundam model though, which is basically both of these put together. I've seen conversion parts that fetch some money. On top of this, both of these kits go for a lot of money now and are hard to find. The V2 Dash Gundam seems easy to find, though. Well, I lucked out and scored one of these for real cheap at a local Kanteidan store (one of those huge, secondhand otaku paradise stores) for a very good price, and I found the other in Akihabara for also a great price. I think total for the two kits I must have paid only about 4,000 yen, which is half as much as I have seen just one of these kits go for sometimes. I think in both cases, it was a situation where somebody wasn't paying attention to how much the thing cost, and it must've been sitting on a shelf for so long that nobody ever noticed it.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

danth wrote:Awesome. I wanted that set, but settled for the dirt cheap singles when they were on sale. The original El Hazard OAV really is a great show.
I actually got the single DVDs of it when I noticed someone was selling the first one on Amazon for only $10 (apparently vol 1 is really hard to find now...I haven't seen one on eBay in years, and the cheapest one on Amazon now is like $89, lmao x__x). So now I'm going to trade them in. The second single DVD is still easy to come by and pretty cheap (I think I got it for like $3), but I'm getting a whopping $23 for the first one, which means I'm basically getting this box set for free after trading in my old ones. XD

The cool thing about the box set is that it also comes with the "El Hazard 2" oav as well, so it's that whole storyline. I can't remember if I ever watched that part, so I guess we'll see once I pop it in!

Greg, that is pretty awesome! I was never into model kits (I was always afraid I'd muck them up somehow), but I know sometimes they can get really pricy. Nice find!
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Recent finds:

Image Image

The Ranma 1/2 season 6 set I got from someone online for $20 (shipping included!!), and the Sorcerer Hunters set I got at Hastings with some trade-in credit I got recently. (It was priced pretty low, too, I believe less than $20 as well.) I'm most happy about the Ranma set, because I never see season 6 on ebay (except in those bootleg mega-sets, or all of the single DVDs lumped together) and the cheapest one on Amazon is around $53. I'm trying to get all of Ranma while most of it is still relatively inexpensive (the prices have been fluctuating a lot lately.)
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

I still have all those El Hazard cels around here...
Heero
Anime Fan Since: 1980

Post by Heero »

Ranma is OOP, I know a guy that runs a business selling DVDs AND have a friend that's a big Ranma fan that (now at least) has all the DVDs. I'm not saying "pay anything", but if you see it for sale at anything remotely reasonable AND want to own it, I'd suggest buying because unless it gets a re-release it won't be for sale in very many places. And considering Viz's usual modus operandi, I don't expect a re-release anytime soon.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

Heero wrote:Ranma is OOP, I know a guy that runs a business selling DVDs AND have a friend that's a big Ranma fan that (now at least) has all the DVDs. I'm not saying "pay anything", but if you see it for sale at anything remotely reasonable AND want to own it, I'd suggest buying because unless it gets a re-release it won't be for sale in very many places. And considering Viz's usual modus operandi, I don't expect a re-release anytime soon.
I'm really kicking myself in the butt for not picking almost all the series at Half Price books last year for $25 per box set. It would have cost me like $125 but that would have been a steal considering how the prices are so on and off lately. I see Season 2 go for the cheapest usually, the other sets fluctuate a lot. I'd prefer to buy them new, but I'm saving the "new" for those Japanese Blu-rays that are already going to kill my wallet. ;A;

I can't find hard evidence of this, but I thought Viz no longer had the rights to Ranma 1/2? I keep hearing yes, and no.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, I don't think anyone really knows for sure except for Viz themselves. :?: They still have Ranma 1/2 listed as one of their main titles if you Google their website, though now they only show the manga in search results...(Though they still have "Monster" part 1 listed in their DVD box sets, even though they dropped the title and have no plans of releasing any more on dvd. *sigh*) So they're just being really confusing in general.

I have the movies, the first 3 seasons, and now no. 6 (6 was high on my to-get list because it seems to be one of the hardest ones to get a hold of now for a decent price). The others seem to be hovering over anywhere from $30-60 on any given day. The OAV box set seems the most expensive, I believe, at around $50-100+ depending on which version you're looking at (considering it's a lot shorter than any of the TV box sets). I was surprised at how much I saw some people trying to sell the box sets for when I was at A-kon last year--one guy was selling season 6 for $200! :shock:
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

How about something like this: