The Lucky Finds bragging thread

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Re: The Lucky Finds bragging thread

Post by Drew_Sutton »

usamimi wrote: I kinda wish that Discotek would pick it up. I know they probably wouldn't be able to license all the music (since they had OPs/music done with bands from some big name music group label (I think it was Johnny's? I can't remember), which was something that gave Funi a lot of problems, if I recall.

Yeah, the first OP was by TOKIO. I knew it wasn't a request from the band but their management company not to grant rights - and you were right, Johnny's strikes again! That license requirement really screws with the first episode the most but I fell for this show via fansubs like you did; really offset the feel of the early part of the show for me. I got the first couple singles but not knowing what else was going to be changed, I tried hunting it down Japanese releases and gave up on the American releases.
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Yeah, that Kodocha license was messed up. I remember watching the DVD and I thought there was a defect in the DVD because spoken dialogue was being muted. I understand that the company's hands were tied because of that singer's management company, but I think it really ruined it for everyone wanting to watch the show in Japanese.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

So today while I was out running errands, I stopped by our local Dollar Tree and was surprised to find Japanese packs of DBZ cards that Funimation sold here stateside in 2000-2001: https://twitter.com/bunnycartoon/status ... 7692526592 (They also had Italian and Spanish packs, too, as well as random packs of the Trading card game).

If you have a Dollar Tree near you, check em out. $1 a pack!

Also, today in the mail I got a package from someone I met online who wanted to get rid of these "Japanese Anima" books (she called them XD) that she didn't want any more & didn't know what they were from....I happily took them off her hands:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Nice finds usamimi! What exactly are those Project A-ko books, animanga/film comics?

I'll have to check out one of the Dollar Trees near me to see if they have any DragonBall cards; I remember buying the Italian and Spanish card packs back in the day. I believe Suncoast had them set up right next to the American DragonBall cards. At the time I was buying them, the American Card series had not progressed beyond the Namek/Freeza arc, but the Italian and Spanish series had images all the way up to the Buu arc.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:Nice finds usamimi! What exactly are those Project A-ko books, animanga/film comics?

I'll have to check out one of the Dollar Trees near me to see if they have any DragonBall cards; I remember buying the Italian and Spanish card packs back in the day. I believe Suncoast had them set up right next to the American DragonBall cards. At the time I was buying them, the American Card series had not progressed beyond the Namek/Freeza arc, but the Italian and Spanish series had images all the way up to the Buu arc.
They're actually the complete storyboards for the entire movie, along with some bonus art! You can see scans at Graviton High: http://gravitonhigh.webs.com/apps/photo ... d=15578836

I think some of the packs where even sticker cards, but I didn't pick up any. I might go back for a closer look, since I was out running errands at the time, lol.
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:I think some of the packs where even sticker cards, but I didn't pick up any. I might go back for a closer look, since I was out running errands at the time, lol.
I checked one of the Dollar Tree stores near me, but (unfortunately) didn't see any of the older DragonBall cards. However, I did run across some new DragonBall Z trading cards. Apparently Panini is reviving the DragonBall Z Trading Card Game. The packs I found have 5 cards per pack, and are labeled "2014 Dragon Ball Z Trading Card Game".
Drew_Sutton
Anime Fan Since: 1994

Post by Drew_Sutton »

Those A-ko books look so cool!
Akihabara Renditions: Japanese Animation of the Bubble Economy
Excuse me, I need to evict some juvenile delinquents from my yard.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

I noticed many of the Dollar Trees around me also no longer have the older Dragon Ball Z cards, just the trading card game. Maybe they got all cleaned out during the holidays. Bummer too, because I was collecting them.
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Thanks, Drew!

Aww, Ryoran that sucks :( If you want, I could check to see if there's still some at mine?
danth
Anime Fan Since: Robotech

Post by danth »

How does one tell the difference between them? I saw some DBZ cards at my dollar store and thought of this thread, but I don't know which are the good ones.