The Lucky Finds bragging thread

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The Lucky Finds bragging thread

Post by usamimi »

I'd never even heard of that Best of Vegeta DVD til I saw you post about it! That's kinda neat that you were able to find one!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:I'd never even heard of that Best of Vegeta DVD til I saw you post about it! That's kinda neat that you were able to find one!
I was shocked to see it in a store. Never expected to find it, but glad to add it to my collection! :D
AVHodgson
Anime Fan Since: Who knows when

Post by AVHodgson »

I don't know whether this would count here, but hell, nobody will ever see anything like it again, so why not?

I recently purchased a series of promotional posters made by Saban Entertainment off of eBay, most of them presumably from 1989, based on the shows promoted.

The shows on the posters include some of anime interest (Noozles, Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics, the Pinocchio and Peter Pan shows) and some that aren't (The Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Hey Vern, It's Ernest!).

More details and maybe pictures may come when I get them in the mail.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Oh neat! I'd love to see a pic :D
AVHodgson

Post by AVHodgson »

I shall do so for you!

... If I ever find out how to post a picture on here.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

AVHodgson wrote:I shall do so for you!

Easiest way is just attaching it to your post. You can add it with the Attachment tab that's right next to the Options tab when you're writing a new post :)
davemerrill
Anime Fan Since: 1984

Post by davemerrill »

usamimi wrote:

Easiest way is just attaching it to your post. You can add it with the Attachment tab that's right next to the Options tab when you're writing a new post :)
jeez, I've been uploading pix to my old photobucket account and posting them that way, like a sucker. Dang
AVHodgson

Post by AVHodgson »

The posters finally came in, and since I found that they fit in my scanner, here are high-quality scans of all the anime-related material:
Scanned Image.tif
Scanned Image.tif (8.31 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Scanned Image 1.tif
Scanned Image 1.tif (5.57 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
The poster doesn't look like it's anime at all, but it is; it's the same series that was released on video in the late 80s as My Favorite Fairy Tales.
Scanned Image.tif
Scanned Image.tif (9.49 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Scanned Image 1.tif
Scanned Image 1.tif (2.17 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Noozles, much the same as it aired back in 1988 on Nick Jr.
Scanned Image.tif
Scanned Image.tif (9.25 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Scanned Image 1.tif
Scanned Image 1.tif (2.25 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
The anonymous American artist who did this poster did a fine job replicating Nippon Animation's designs for this one. Note that on the back, only 26 episodes are offered; by this time, Saban had dubbed the rest...
Scanned Image.tif
Scanned Image.tif (8.02 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Scanned Image 1.tif
Scanned Image 1.tif (2.99 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Scanned Image.tif
Scanned Image.tif (8.53 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Scanned Image 1.tif
Scanned Image 1.tif (3.07 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
You can see on the first poster that the show they're trying to sell bears the name Zoomer, but the second has the name it was released with - Bumpety Boo. The child on the poster is dubbed "Billy" on both; in the dub, as in the Japanese original, he is called Ken.
Scanned Image.tif
Scanned Image.tif (8.99 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Scanned Image 1.tif
Scanned Image 1.tif (2.82 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
This show made it to air as Ox Tales, with its central character dubbed Ollie. Presumably the folks at Saban realized that "Bully" was not a good name for a character.
Scanned Image.tif
Scanned Image.tif (9.48 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Scanned Image 1.tif
Scanned Image 1.tif (3.24 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Note how the crude American simulacrum of Tatsunoko's Pinocchio is surrounded by stills from the anime itself. Also note the last sentence of the second paragraph on the back contains a ton of errors. "Benny" the mouse and "Ferdy" the fox are called Charlie and Jack in the dub, and true to Collodi's book, they don't mean well towards the puppet...
Scanned Image.tif
Scanned Image.tif (8.74 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Scanned Image 1.tif
Scanned Image 1.tif (3.24 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Again, same thing with this crude drawing of the WMT Peter Pan next to stills from the real thing. (The flier is dated 1989, which means Saban had acquired the rights to the anime while it was still broadcasting.)

The other fliers I acquired are mostly for late 80s DIC shows - The Super Mario Bros. Super Show, Hey Vern, It's Ernest!, COPS, The New Archies, Camp Candy... and two I've decided to share here anyhow:
Scanned Image.tif
Scanned Image.tif (9.91 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Scanned Image 1.tif
Scanned Image 1.tif (2.96 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
A flier for Saban's dub of the German puppet show Hallo Spencer, which contained many of the same voices used in their anime dubs...
Scanned Image.tif
Scanned Image.tif (6.67 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
Scanned Image 1.tif
Scanned Image 1.tif (2.5 MiB) Viewed 3771 times
And one for a show that seems to have never made it, period. This one's a real mystery. Apparently it was produced... but it seems to have never run even overseas.
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

usamimi wrote:

This is where I wish the edit post feature was back. I mean spending 3 or 4 posts (like I did in the VHS thread on the anime forum) trying to make my pics show up is quite embarrassing. :oops:
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

Starting to get around to scanning in many of the brochures, advertising handouts, posters, booklets, etc. Not going to try to do whole mags as I don't have the equipment for that (look for DIY Book Scanners for info on how to simplify the process using cameras and software). I'll probably put the game posters up for sale on eBay as there seems to be a lot of interest in those. The horror and more lurid anime and movie posters also seem to be big sellers. I'll sell a few and buy my other equipment if I can. Only big item I sold recently though was a bunch of Chinese comics (Manhua) from the late 70s or early 80s. The even earlier martial arts ones from 1970 - 1973 are muchly prized as they were pretty gruesome, featuring some really gross front covers. That brought into effect a new law in Hong Kong effectively banning them. Reminded me of what happened with U.S. comics in the 1950s. Some people just don't learn from the past...