The Lucky Finds bragging thread

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Re: The Lucky Finds bragging thread

Post by usamimi »

danth wrote:How does one tell the difference between them? I saw some DBZ cards at my dollar store and thought of this thread, but I don't know which are the good ones.
I'm not sure, I bought one of each of the different packs, but so far I've only opened one.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

danth wrote:How does one tell the difference between them? I saw some DBZ cards at my dollar store and thought of this thread, but I don't know which are the good ones.
Danth, which cards are you referring to as "the good ones?" Personally, I have a soft spot for all of them. :lol:

The easiest way to tell what you are buying is to see if there is a year listed anywhere on the pack or box. The newer cards say "2014 Dragonball Z Trading Card Game" very prominently, though I'm not sure if there's any indication of the year on the older card packs.
Animusubi
Anime Fan Since: 1989

Post by Animusubi »

The ones I was collecting were the Funimation re-releases of the actual Japanese cards, which have the original Japanese look of the packs, with Japanese writing on them. I think they had series 1-3, 4 in some rare cases. They also had packs that show the actual cards, prepacked into see through bags (6 per pack or something). I thought all the non-Japanese ones were junk. :lol:
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

ranma.jpg
ranma.jpg (267.39 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
I got this the other day for free....still in the shrinkwrap, haha. XD
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Oh gosh! I remember that. There was a BGC one, too. Those were for Windows 3.1, right? Or for Windows 95?
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

greg wrote:Oh gosh! I remember that. There was a BGC one, too. Those were for Windows 3.1, right? Or for Windows 95?
I think it's 3.1! :lol: I always wanted one and the BGC one back in the day, but they were so expensive! I'm tempted to open it and see if I can get it to load on a DOS prompt or something. XD
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:
greg wrote:Oh gosh! I remember that. There was a BGC one, too. Those were for Windows 3.1, right? Or for Windows 95?
I think it's 3.1! :lol: I always wanted one and the BGC one back in the day, but they were so expensive! I'm tempted to open it and see if I can get it to load on a DOS prompt or something. XD
It's been a few years, but I believe I was able to get the Ranma 1/2 screennsaver to load in Windows XP; not sure if it will work in later versions.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Okay, so I realize that only a few of you on here are into models, however this should be of interest to everyone. I recently scored a plastic model kit set of Leda: Fantastic Adventure of Yohko off YAJ. What is so cool about this kit set is that it's made to look like a VHS box set, and each model is contained in a box made to look like a VHS cassette.

Check out the Tumblr page I made for more pics of this cool packaging. What's extra cool is that it only cost me 2000 yen!
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

omg that is so cool!! I'm totally in love with the packaging on it, greg. What a great find!
llj
Anime Fan Since: 1985

Post by llj »

Oh cool. So basically one "VHS" is a package of materials for Yohko standing and the other is her riding the vehicle?