The Lucky Finds bragging thread

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Re: The Lucky Finds bragging thread

Post by Daniel »

usamimi wrote:The official complete Gundam Wing DVD collection! :mrgreen: I got this off a swap site, basically in trade for some crappy old Sailor Moon toys that wouldn't have gotten me any money plus the price of shipping. This made me so happy because I know if I bought them together on Amazon, it'd probably be close to $100 (I remember at one point, right after Bandai announced they were closing, they were close to $70 apiece X__x)
Gundam DVD prices have been pretty high lately -- I sold my Gundam Wing DVD set for about $250 recently. Even G Gundam got me $125... G Gundam! ...
usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

Wow, for real? The complete series? I only have part one, and it's going for around $35-40 on Amazon at the moment, so I figured I wasn't gonna get a LOT for it...
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

Yesterday's flea market finds:

All you see, plus six novels (including Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Anansi Boys), Ghosbusters Slimer watch, and some G3 MLPs. If only every trip was this fruitful!
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Damn! Whatever flea market you're going to, I need to go there because that is some awesome stuff. XD Congrats!
Path
Anime Fan Since: Circa 1993

Post by Path »

usamimi wrote:Damn! Whatever flea market you're going to, I need to go there because that is some awesome stuff. XD Congrats!
Thanks. The flea market I went to is in Columbus, NJ. This is the best of the flea markets in my area, but its an hours drive away by the turnpike. Plus, its only 'big' on Sundays, the rest of the time they don't sell much old stuff. I have two more local ones I frequent more often, but they never seem to turn up as much interesting things.

The artwork on those Protoculure Addicts is terrible, lol.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Yeah, PA never had amazing covers, but I was always impressed that they made an effort to use original art instead of reusing stock art over and over.

The old Animage, though...that is pretty awesome. I really do need to get Nadia on DVD again. That was a great series.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

The Protoculture Addicts issue 27 is one I sent to Daniel. It has an interesting article on the mecha designs for Macross II, and how they were not done by Shoji Kawamori. Instead they were originally done by the guy who designed the Zeta Gundam, and then eventually the final designs took from that design and was done by someone else. I have to say that I like the Valkyrie designs for Macross II more than those for Macross F.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Post by SteveH »

Did that Animage include all the bonus inserts? DAMN but the anime mags used to be just jam packed with cool stuff. Posters, Stickers, stationary sets, playing cards, more!

Seems so empty nowadays, last time I picked up a mag.
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

I know Newtype still occasionally throws in neat furoku (extra gifts), but not nearly as often as they used to. I still have a couple of the posters and mini artbooks I've gotten from them over the years.
_D_
Anime Fan Since: 1978

Post by _D_ »

I think most of my old mags still have all their extras. Other than the ones like the scripts we pulled for translation/subbing purposes. Might have to finally move those boxes out of my sun room into the back room so I can put a sofa out there to watch the world go by on...

Oh yeah, also pulled the inserts for the TV episode guides from many mags but I found them all again in a bag among the clutter here...