The Lucky Finds bragging thread

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Re: The Lucky Finds bragging thread

Post by greg »

Yes. They're in different scales from each other, naturally. They are a bit soft on detail. I found one Japanese modeling blog in which the detail was sharpened considerably. I don't have that sort of talent yet.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Post by Char Aznable »

Wow Greg, that's easily the most impressive packaging I've ever seen for a model kit. I may have to keep my eyes peeled on eBay for it.

This reminds me that I still have a vinyl Devilman model I need to build and paint one day. Unfortunately, I'm not so big into vinyl kits anymore, especially ones with thin limbs. Some vinyl models were notorious for warping and bending. I had a Mirai Ninja vinyl kit that, literally, started to bend over after having it for a few years. I remember the glory days of the horror & sci-fi conventions in the mid/late '90s when the dealers' room would be awash in a sea of vinyl, resin, and plastic models. I recall tons of Guyver kits and everything else put out by the Elfin company. I also have vivid memories of two guys almost getting into a physical altercation over who was going to buy some Macross model.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

Char Aznable wrote:Some vinyl models were notorious for warping and bending.
I'm currently building a Devil Hunter Yohko vinyl kit and I posted about this in the merchandise forum. This is my first time building a vinyl kit. The key to prevent warping and bending is to fill those parts with plaster. I've filled Yohko's leg, the one that her weight will be on, with plaster. It's solid now, so it shouldn't warp. The other pieces can remain hollow, I suppose. Or I can fill them with paper mache.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Kame-Sen'nin
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

I picked up an interesting piece recently: an SD Gundam “Video Hero” set. It seems to be a set containing both a tape and a figure; the tape has an episode of SD Gundam MK 1.

I’ve also been picking up some good retro games lately. Lots of systems represented!

usamimi
Anime Fan Since: 1987

Post by usamimi »

whoooooa that SD Gundam set looks awesome! And nice video game finds! Ms Pacman was always a favorite of mine, lol.
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

usamimi wrote:whoooooa that SD Gundam set looks awesome! And nice video game finds! Ms Pacman was always a favorite of mine, lol.
I know, right? I'd never seen a set like it before, and it was reasonably priced too!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Post by Daniel »

Originally written by usamimi on 2015/11/29, 07:48:20 PST :

Re: The Lucky Finds bragging thread :

Been a while since I posted anything here, so here's a few things

A friend of mine recently bought several lots of random anime merch on Y!J auctions to get some things she wanted decided to sell the rest. I spotted a few things I was interested in and she gladly did a trade with me, which made me really happy! This included

attachment 1 chacha.png attachment
Akazukin Chacha plushies! I love this old 90s comedy magical girl show, and finding stuff from it that people don't want outrageous prices for can be difficult bleh - - , so I was ecstatic to spot these in her lot of stuff she didn't want. They're in excellent shape, too, with their tags still on.

attachment 0 poke.png attachment
Ok, I'm a weirdo and I LOVE anime manga game etc ink stamps rubber stamps! I have a collection of them...I use them to decorate letters and stuff to friends penpals XD I remembered seeing ads for this Pokemon Stamp Maker set in either Nakayoshi or Ribon back in the 90s and wishing I could get it...now I have one! It was practically brand new, too, with no missing stamps and only some of the stationary papers missing, I think. It's so cute!

Not pictured a Christmas Melon Pan from Anpanman plush her face needs some cleaning up , and a mini Misato figure from the Eva Racing series.

Originally written by Kame-Sen'nin on 2015/11/30, 05:09:26 PST :

Re: The Lucky Finds bragging thread :

quote usamimi Been a while since I posted anything here, so here's a few things

A friend of mine recently bought several lots of random anime merch on Y!J auctions to get some things she wanted decided to sell the rest. I spotted a few things I was interested in and she gladly did a trade with me, which made me really happy! This included

attachment 1 chacha.png attachment
Akazukin Chacha plushies! I love this old 90s comedy magical girl show, and finding stuff from it that people don't want outrageous prices for can be difficult bleh - - , so I was ecstatic to spot these in her lot of stuff she didn't want. They're in excellent shape, too, with their tags still on.

attachment 0 poke.png attachment
Ok, I'm a weirdo and I LOVE anime manga game etc ink stamps rubber stamps! I have a collection of them...I use them to decorate letters and stuff to friends penpals XD I remembered seeing ads for this Pokemon Stamp Maker set in either Nakayoshi or Ribon back in the 90s and wishing I could get it...now I have one! It was practically brand new, too, with no missing stamps and only some of the stationary papers missing, I think. It's so cute!

Not pictured a Christmas Melon Pan from Anpanman plush her face needs some cleaning up , and a mini Misato figure from the Eva Racing series. quote

Cool finds! The plushies look great, and the Pokemon stamp set is really cool. Be sure to post pics when you start using the stamps!
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Amazingly, I found someone GIVING AWAY the first Magical Project S DVD recently! :shock: I was so thrilled, this was a DVD I sold when I moved, then the price spiked up later.
Attachments
IMG_20160217_075553.jpg
IMG_20160217_075553.jpg (333.39 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
Kame-Sen'nin

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

Nice find! I've never actually watched Magical Project S, is it worth seeking out?
usamimi

Post by usamimi »

Kame-Sen'nin wrote:Nice find! I've never actually watched Magical Project S, is it worth seeking out?
It's been a while since I'd seen it, but I remember it being really cute, silly fun. Probably the best incarnation of Pretty Sammy in the Tenchi Universe. It kinda makes me sad we've gotten nearly every version of Tenchi on BD/DVD, yet somehow this one hasn't gotten a re-release yet. :/