The "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THIS?" Thread

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
User avatar
PinkAppleJam
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:23 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1992
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact:

Re: The "What I saw but didn't buy" Thread

Post by PinkAppleJam »

usamimi wrote:Oh wow, that's a great find! I already have all of Cyber City or I'd buy it, too--the dub is probably one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever seen. Manga really threw in as much creative swearing as humanly possible with that one. xD Some prime examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDWJMZFSrC0 (The last line is my favorite. NSFW language, obviously.)
Haha! Yeah, Manga Video were notorious for all that! Because (as you all knew) Manga used to plump for BBFC higher certification, I believe because would mean higher sales. .?

Yes the alternative OST suits it right to it's core. Such an amazing series. I have two friends that did a few issues of a Cyber City fanzine (including comic!), I don't have my copies any more but I am trying to poke them into making a PDF of their great work. It was legendary! Benten certainly had his fans!

User avatar
usamimi
Posts: 2578
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1987
Location: The Lonestar State
Contact:

Re: The "What I saw but didn't buy" Thread

Post by usamimi »

PinkAppleJam wrote:
usamimi wrote:Oh wow, that's a great find! I already have all of Cyber City or I'd buy it, too--the dub is probably one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever seen. Manga really threw in as much creative swearing as humanly possible with that one. xD Some prime examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDWJMZFSrC0 (The last line is my favorite. NSFW language, obviously.)
Haha! Yeah, Manga Video were notorious for all that! Because (as you all knew) Manga used to plump for BBFC higher certification, I believe because would mean higher sales. .?

Yes the alternative OST suits it right to it's core. Such an amazing series. I have two friends that did a few issues of a Cyber City fanzine (including comic!), I don't have my copies any more but I am trying to poke them into making a PDF of their great work. It was legendary! Benten certainly had his fans!
omg, really?! I would LOVE to see that fanzine, it sounds awesome!
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*

User avatar
Kame-Sen'nin
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 am
Anime Fan Since: 1996

Re: The "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THIS?" Thread

Post by Kame-Sen'nin »

I ran across some DigiBeta tapes at Half Price Books. It was hard to tell, but they were either $1.99 or $7.99 apiece I believe. I think these were mainly used in production environments.

I have no idea what (if anything) might be on them. I'm considering picking them up myself, but if anyone out there has the capability to capture these, I'll be happy to send them your way!

User avatar
usamimi
Posts: 2578
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1987
Location: The Lonestar State
Contact:

Re: The "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THIS?" Thread

Post by usamimi »

I spotted a copy of ADV's Super Dimensional Cavalry - Southern Cross Complete DVD collection at a local game shop for $16, if anyone's interested. On Amazon it's about $25 used. I'd consider getting it myself, but 1. I'm rather broke at the moment and 2. I probably wouldn't get around to watching it anytime soon. XD
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*

User avatar
Animusubi
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1989
Location: Planet Shining
Contact:

Re: The "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THIS?" Thread

Post by Animusubi »

http://nemishop.tumblr.com/

I've bought several awesome items from this seller, and she has some really nice older game stuff and artbooks, in case anyone was looking for anything in particular, she has pages of stuff, and is super nice and willing to do deals if you buy more than one item. :)
animusubi
Resident Ranma 1/2 Appreciator!
twitter | instagram

SteveH
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:30 am
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)
Location: Michigan and the Sea of Stars
Contact:

Re: The "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THIS?" Thread

Post by SteveH »

Not *quite* in the "are you looking for this", more along the lines of "can you BELIEVE this?!"...local comic shop, guy is struggling, he's selling off stuff.

Box of Pioneer LDs, mostly Tenchi and such like, if it had a large breasted girl on the cover he got it.

Priced at between $50 and $100.

I was kind, I didn't laugh, I didn't drag a friend over to cellphone pic them and shout to the world, but boy that hurt, seeing just how completely out of it that guy was. But his comics and such are all like that too, crazy granma pricing.

User avatar
usamimi
Posts: 2578
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1987
Location: The Lonestar State
Contact:

Re: The "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THIS?" Thread

Post by usamimi »

Wow, that's kinda crazy...most LDs are pretty cheap now unless they're really rare, right? I see some on eBay for lots but they're usually either imports being sold in the US or labeled as being rare/hard to find...I doubt Tenchi is pretty hard to find, lol. :lol:
*:・゚・✧ TwitterThe Anime Nostalgia Tumblr & Podcast ✧・゚・:*

SteveH
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:30 am
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)
Location: Michigan and the Sea of Stars
Contact:

Re: The "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THIS?" Thread

Post by SteveH »

usamimi wrote:Wow, that's kinda crazy...most LDs are pretty cheap now unless they're really rare, right? I see some on eBay for lots but they're usually either imports being sold in the US or labeled as being rare/hard to find...I doubt Tenchi is pretty hard to find, lol. :lol:
There are cases that can be made about 'value'. I would say the sweet LD box of the original, 'real' Star Wars movies has value because it's the best possible versions of the films pre-Lucas screwing around with them. Same goes for Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

My interest in collecting anime box sets goes simply to my love of the concept, the packaging, the presentation, and the sexy books often included. Hell, if I magically became head of Voyager Entertainment one of the first things I would do, as part of completely re-constructing Star Blazers (not like the remastering/revisioning project you might see on the web), is commission a limited edition LD box set of Star Blazers. Maybe 100 copies or something.

Because it never happened, it SHOULD have happened, and there are fans out there who would buy these sets just to have as companions to their Yamato LD sets. It would be a total and complete vanity project. :)

Maybe that's a sign why I shouldn't be in charge of a company...

davemerrill
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:38 pm
Anime Fan Since: 1984
Location: the YYZ
Contact:

Re: The "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THIS?" Thread

Post by davemerrill »

Last time we were out in San Jose - okay, the only time I've ever been in San Jose - we went to Nikaku Animart, and they had a fair selection of 1990s era anime LDs with 1990s era prices, i.e., way way out of proportion to the market rate.

Eventually I guess LDs will become some kind of hot collectible, but it might take a while. I don't miss the format; the damn things are unwieldy and heavy - but it's great to have the booklets and sleeve art. DVD sets that emulate the special-edition format with booklets and goodies are always nice.

SteveH
Posts: 645
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:30 am
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)
Location: Michigan and the Sea of Stars
Contact:

Re: The "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THIS?" Thread

Post by SteveH »

davemerrill wrote:Last time we were out in San Jose - okay, the only time I've ever been in San Jose - we went to Nikaku Animart, and they had a fair selection of 1990s era anime LDs with 1990s era prices, i.e., way way out of proportion to the market rate.

Eventually I guess LDs will become some kind of hot collectible, but it might take a while. I don't miss the format; the damn things are unwieldy and heavy - but it's great to have the booklets and sleeve art. DVD sets that emulate the special-edition format with booklets and goodies are always nice.
Storing LDs is indeed an epic task. Jerry never really found a system he really liked.

The problem with DVD books, booklets and such like is they're so damn small. The art in some of the Yamato LD sets , the enclosed booklets and the jackets, is just stellar.

Post Reply