The "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THIS?" Thread

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
SteveH
Anime Fan Since: 1979/82 (depending)

Re: The "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THIS?" Thread

Post by SteveH »

llj wrote:Yeah, I saw that. Think it's still too pricey for me now. I don't think I need to own the whole series, though. I'd be fine with only one or two seasons I can pop in occasionally when I get that Bat-West itch.
I went ahead and got just the first season DVD set. It's now waiting to be gifted to me for Christmas. :)

I figure all I really need is that first season. I suspect the Batman/Green Hornet crossover will get a special single disc release just before they release the entire Green Hornet series.

Some shows I grew up on or I never saw but wanted to, it's REALLY hard to revisit them with today's eyes. It's not just the pacing, there's a lot more of "but why don't they do THIS?" going on in the writing. As in writers intentionally making the characters stupid in order for the plot to advance because if ANY common sense were to be used the show would be over in 5 minutes.

That's survivable in a comedy like Get Smart (to a point) but makes a show like Rat Patrol or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea deadly. I was really looking forward to Honey West for example but man, that's just a brutal show to watch.
Char Aznable
Anime Fan Since: Early '90s

Re: The "ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THIS?" Thread

Post by Char Aznable »

SteveH wrote:
llj wrote:As in writers intentionally making the characters stupid in order for the plot to advance because if ANY common sense were to be used the show would be over in 5 minutes.
The original Star Trek series often averted this. The characters were very consistent and the writing has held up remarkably well. In my opinion, better than any of the subsequent Trek shows. Though most of the episodes Gene Roddenberry wrote were pretty bad. Despite creating the series, he seemed to never have a complete understanding or grasp of his own characters. It's only in those episodes when the characters become intentionally stupid to move the plot. In contrast, the D.C. Fontana scripts were the gold standard for Trek on television.