Working Through Greg's Magazines

The roughly mid-90's and earlier (generally pre-Toonami, pre-anime boom) era of anime & manga fandom: early cons, clubs, tape trading, Nth Generation VHS fansubs, old magazines & fanzines, fandubs, ancient merchandise, rec.arts.anime, and more!
Daniel
Site Admin
Anime Fan Since: 199X年

Working Through Greg's Magazines

Post by Daniel »

With many thanks to Greg, I've now got a nice stack of old magazines to show off on the site. :)

I'm trying to put a couple up per day. Check them out here:

http://animepast.net/Museum/Magazines/

http://animepast.net/Museum/Newsletters/

Thanks again!
Daniel
Site Admin

Re: Working Through Greg's Magazines

Post by Daniel »

Finished the Animags... On to Protoculture Addicts!
Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel »

Added Shops and Soundtracks sections.

Right now the Shops section has advertisements from Greg's magazines. I'd also like to put actual photos of shops onto the site. If anyone still has any photos of shops taken in the 90's or earlier, please let me know :) (the shops can be anywhere in the world -- USA, Japan, anything's fine :)
Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel »

Update tons of stuff in the Museum.
greg
Anime Fan Since: 1989 (consciously)

Post by greg »

You're putting those magazines to better use than I ever could! Good job on the scans. I knew it would've been a waste to just stick those magazines into the recycling bin. My conscience wouldn't have allowed me to do so!

Let me know if you ever come across an advertisement for a company called Space Station Studios. I know at least they had an ad in the old Comico Robotech comics. I wrote them for a catalog and they sent me one. I ordered a couple of Robotech VHS tapes, a Dirty Pair: Wanted Dead or Alive poster, plus some other random crap. I wrote them a check for about $50 worth of merchandise, which they promptly cashed, and they never sent me my stuff. I was always unable to reach them by phone, too. I complained on the FidoNet Robotech Echo, and it turned out they were doing this to others, too. the moderator of the Echo had an inside connection to Harmony Gold, because the Robotech Echo was advertised in the early '90s Robotech comics (company called Eternity Comics). Well, Harmony Gold came down hard on their butts and suddenly I got my money back. Those scumballs had been ripping off people through their mail order scheme for quite a long time. I think they were in Massachusetts and were a legitimate company, but you'd have to go to their actual store to actually receive what you paid for.
My presence on the Net, with plenty of random geekiness:
My homepage
My YouTube channel
My Flickr photostream
My Tumblr page
Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel »

greg wrote:You're putting those magazines to better use than I ever could! Good job on the scans. I knew it would've been a waste to just stick those magazines into the recycling bin. My conscience wouldn't have allowed me to do so!
Oh, it's been my honor to use scans from your old magazines on the site. Thank you.

greg wrote:Let me know if you ever come across an advertisement for a company called Space Station Studios. I know at least they had an ad in the old Comico Robotech comics. I wrote them for a catalog and they sent me one. I ordered a couple of Robotech VHS tapes, a Dirty Pair: Wanted Dead or Alive poster, plus some other random crap. I wrote them a check for about $50 worth of merchandise, which they promptly cashed, and they never sent me my stuff. I was always unable to reach them by phone, too. I complained on the FidoNet Robotech Echo, and it turned out they were doing this to others, too. the moderator of the Echo had an inside connection to Harmony Gold, because the Robotech Echo was advertised in the early '90s Robotech comics (company called Eternity Comics). Well, Harmony Gold came down hard on their butts and suddenly I got my money back. Those scumballs had been ripping off people through their mail order scheme for quite a long time. I think they were in Massachusetts and were a legitimate company, but you'd have to go to their actual store to actually receive what you paid for.
Will do.

Ah, the days of long distance mail order...

Made some more updates in various places in the Museum...!
kndy
Anime Fan Since: 70's

Post by kndy »

Greetings Daniel,

Feel free to use any of the images I have posted on the "Artifacts of Anime Fandom" Flickr page. There are still many that I have yet to scan and post.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/922349@N21/
Daniel
Site Admin

Post by Daniel »

kndy wrote:Greetings Daniel,

Feel free to use any of the images I have posted on the "Artifacts of Anime Fandom" Flickr page. There are still many that I have yet to scan and post.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/922349@N21/
Thanks!

I've been scanning through them as I've had time; very nice collection!

I admittedly haven't had much time as of late, as I've been super-focused on recruiting, but I'll definitely use these when I get back to working on the site!

Many thanks once again. :)